Thread: NO-SHOWS FOR EXAMS? SUGGESTIONS

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

It seems that it runs in streaks and we have a considerable amount of no-shows for eye exams. Who else is experiencing this problem? Any suggestions to keeping this situation to a minimum.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Since physical harm - or threats of such - are out of the question, maybe you could try making follow up calls. Just a little "So sorry you couldn't make it" type of call. Maybe then they would be willing to share their reasons for not coming.

If I remember correctly, some doctor's offices will charge no-shows for the exam anyway unless they call in advance, since they can't take another patient during the appt. time.

Blake

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Hi, Yes we have the same problems even though we call to confirm the night before. What else is quite aggravating is the pts who show up 20 mins late for their appt with no "I'm sorry, I got a flat etc...". They don't realize that our time is important also and can cost us money. Our doctor has a sign that says something like we will charge a fee unless 24 hours is given to break appt. It doesn't work either. If anyone has the cure all for this problem let me in on it also. I think as long as there are doctors there will be no shows. It is unfortunate but true. One thing we do is after a pt has no showed three times their name goes on a list. If your name is on the list the only way our doctor will see you is if you walk in and we have an opening at that time. It makes it a little harder to be seen. It is NOT that we don't want them for patients but lets face it, they have already cost us money and all they really had to do was pick the phone up to say they were not going to be able to make it. That way we could have had the spot open for someone who was actually going to come in for their appointment. It helps a little, but most people who do it don't care about your time and money anyway. Just my two cents worth!!! Hope it helps a little. Probably as much as it does us unfortunately!!!
    Steph

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs down

There are two schools of thought on exam no-shows:
    1. That the exams are booked too far in advance and the patient either forgets or goes elsewhere.
    2. That we live in a society that refuses to wait.

Recently, I attended a meeting where a doctor was booked 2-3 weeks out and solved his no-show problem by booking appointments every 10-15 minutes, that way he could take the next appointment if the previous one didn't show. If they all showed then they didn't mind waiting and the pre-testing seemed part of the exam.

Thread Information