Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any less then you?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Any less then you?

Hi,

I hope this does not come across wrong, but I have been a lurker now for about a year or so. I have noticed a strong dislike of people who like me, work for a chain optical such as Eyemart, America's best, etc. Why are we any less of an optician then you? I am ABOC with 7 years of experience, are my skills less because I work for a corporation and not a boutique? I sell glasses that work just as well for people, at a cost some times 3x less then what a more privatized location would sell it for. So I gusse my question is, do you feel honestly that I am any less an optician then you?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    There are plenty of highly qualified opticians that work for large chains. But you are most likely rare. More often than not chains hire people with little or no experience. Some take to the field and really thrive. Others don't. Where an optician works does not reflect on their skill and knowledge.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to the party Wutaboutme!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some {most} of us think that we walk on water. We strut around all day with a bit of cockiness, a bit of untamed bravado, and an air of excellence. We think that we know it all, we talk like we are optical engineers, and we believe it! We look down our noses at the *CHAIN TYPES*, because how could they possibly know what we know?

The reality is:

Many of us have actually worked in the chains! Quite a few of the brainiacs that post on here still work at the chains! Heck, if it wasn't for the chains, most of us wouldn't be here! If it wasn't for the chains, many of us would not be in business!

Most of us have moved on to private offices. Once free from the chains influence, we start to see a bigger picture of the optical world. We see that there are many more options in lens designs, lens material, lens coatings, processing options. We are no longer limited to using only what corporate says that we have to use. Our options open up and we begin to see how important being able to offer patients something that fits their lifestyle and situations, rather than what some out of touch suit in an office 787 miles from anywhere say that we should sell, becomes. We expand our knowledge base because the freedom of options.

You asked, "Do you feel honestly that I am any less an optician than you?"

Well..........YES.........and no!

If you have only ever worked in a chain, and can only use whatever lens material, or sell whatever progressive design that corporate gets its deal of the month on, and you are not able to repair frames by drilling, soldering, fabricating, etc, than YES.............you are less of an "optician" than some of us.

I feel that being an optician not only entails having an ABO certificate, but using the skills, and options available to provide the best in products and service to patients. Being an optician involves continual learning. It involves using available options and understanding the results to better the patients experience.

I guess it all comes down to what an optician really is, how that optician is educated, how that optician continues that education, and how that optician is allowed to practice. Until we have an educational standard, the term optician is only a loose term that we can throw around and debate until the end of time.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Wink Just because . . . .

you're a good soldier doesn't mean you have no skills. My Dad and a guy names Red Mares set up labs overseas for the military. I've known his son since we were stationed together in Japan in the early 50's He and I worked under his Dad at B&L a million years ago. He is now a corporate vice president for a chain. I work for an independant Dr. He was always a politician even when were kids. I would trust anything he made. He has great skills.

The problem with chains is not that they don't have good Opticians. The problem is that they aren't usually the ones working the floor and greeting customers. They're usually the gun that gets brought out when a problem can't be solved.

It sounds to me like you should hold your head up and be proud of what you're doing. There are people on here who have worked and are working for chains and they don't catch heat. They're usually the ones who call us on it when it happens.

Anyway, thanks for participating and good luck to you!!

:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wutaboutme View Post
    Hi,

I hope this does not come across wrong, but I have been a lurker now for about a year or so. I have noticed a strong dislike of people who like me, work for a chain optical such as Eyemart, America's best, etc.

No! Speaking for myself, I have absolutely no dislike for chain opticians, I have an extremely strong dislike for SOME chain opticals. Even they are not all bad. It seems to be that the bigger they are, the more corners they expect their opticians to cut. If chain opticians are not professional (sometimes difficult to do while you're wearing a blue smock, humming the corporate chant, and stocking the toy aisle in between helping patients) then that's their choice.

No, it's not dislike that I have for chain opticians, it's more like sympathy...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Bad address email on file Strab's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Welcome Wutaboutme!

I too have worked for a national chain and a smaller chain of 8 stores across 3 states and a couple independents. I can share with you this... just the fact that you are on Optiboard shows you are truly into your career as an Optician and not just the average Joe that works for a chain. As a previous General Manager at one of the chains, I can tell you from experience that not everyone cares about their work. For some it's just a job on their way to somewhere else. For others it is a way of life, a passion, a career they enjoy (most of the time).
    You sir/mam must decide for yourself what your worth and not let any of us decide that for you!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome:cheers:Welcome:cheers:
    The more the merrier. I too lurked for about a year before deciding to join the fun! Everyone here is equal, some of us just blow a little hotter than others at some times. You might be suprised how many of us started in the chains and moved on. Yhe more you keep learning, the better you become at everything you go after.
    I came, I saw, I left

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ... So I gusse my question is, do you feel honestly that I am any less an optician then you?
    Naw, we just try to aggravate you so you'll come out of the 'lurking' corner and join the fun. Gotcha!

Welcome to Optiboard where we're all equal, although some appear to be more equal than others. The main thing we need in common is wanting to learn and share. Looking forward to what you have to offer too.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I started with a chain. Started off as a frame stylist, pretty much just retail, then as i got myself involved in more i had the deisre to learn more and the chain i worked for really helped me with that. If it wasnt for that company i really doubt i would have continued, that being said though... I thought i knew alot there, as far as i was concerned i knew everything i needed to do my job completely and thourghly. Once i got into private practice i learned how truely wrong i was. I would say i have learned at least 75% of everything i know in the last 4-5 years in private practice. I now know enough to know that i really dont know much, i am at about the halfway point of where i would like to be. Thats where optiboard really comes in, its easy to get comfortable and cocky in your position. Talking to, and knowing there are others in the same field that know and do so much more is very humbling and challenging.

So for you, you have your ABOC and thats great, alot of chains push their employees to get it (it helps validate the employee and comfort the customers) but it doesnt always mean much. Since you are on here thats a huge step though, the desire to learn beyond the walls of your company shows that you are more the exception then the rule. There is a difference though between someone that is great within a narrow scope, and someone that is great with every option possible. so be both

Bad address email on file Strab's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeOptical View Post
    There is a difference though between someone that is great within a narrow scope, and someone that is great with every option possible. so be both
    Well put EdgeOptical!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You are not less than me.
    But is your employer less than mine ?
    Maybe some other priorities ? :bbg::bbg::bbg:

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If you are sensitive stop reading now.

Hi,

I hope this does not come across wrong, but I have been a lurker now for about a year or so.

I have noticed a strong dislike of people who like me, work for a chain optical such as Eyemart, America's best, etc.

You may be the one in a million, but in case your not these places hire fresh young meat. They teach you what they sell and their policies. Many in these types of environments don't realize when they are breaking the law, for instance not releasing an Rx to another office because of HIPAA, providing glasses when a license is not present in licensed states, etc. If any of this sounds familiar then pick one and that's the reason.

Why are we any less of an optician then you?

I don't know that's a question you are going to need to answer, if you truly feel less competent than that is a personal issue. No one can tell you something that's not true and have you believe it, so either stop believing it or you'll end up living up to it.

I am ABOC with 7 years of experience, are my skills less because I work for a corporation and not a boutique?

That is a sure sign of incompetence. The number of years in and a basic competency exam would qualify you to get my coffee in the morning black two sugars. Start listing your skill sets when you talk about what you are, you'll notice a few posts up an optician in his response let you know he drills solders and fabricates (all skills of a higher degree difficulty than a test or number of years in).

I sell glasses that work just as well for people, at a cost some times 3x less then what a more privatized location would sell it for.

You enjoy the economy of scale your employers volume purchasing afford you, but you lack in variety of product to truly take care of every patient as if they were an individual with individual needs. Your employer compensates for this loss with a lower margin. Or in layman's: "different strokes for different fokes."

So I gusse my question is, do you feel honestly that I am any less an optician then you?

Don't know yet, stick around and I'll find out.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lots of us have worked for are are working for chains. I think there are lots of great opticians at chains and I also think there are plenty of lousy ones at private shops.

Anyway, welcome and don't let a few people scare you away.

:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wutaboutme, let me introduce you to our welcoming committee chairman; YrahG.

:D:cheers::D

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi,

I hope this does not come across wrong, but I have been a lurker now for about a year or so. I have noticed a strong dislike of people who like me, work for a chain optical such as Eyemart, America's best, etc. Why are we any less of an optician then you? I am ABOC with 7 years of experience, are my skills less because I work for a corporation and not a boutique? I sell glasses that work just as well for people, at a cost some times 3x less then what a more privatized location would sell it for. So I gusse my question is, do you feel honestly that I am any less an optician then you?
    Hey, Welcome aboard, Wutaboutme!

I ready to *suck you dry* of everything you know!

(Sheesh, only kidding!)

Surlllhhhhhghp!

Barry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to your new home!

I know a lot of good opticians in Costco!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

7 years! Wow!

Welcome to Optiboard.

I dont dislike/hate/look down at chain/costco/walmart/etc. opticians. In fact I love them. The patient see's you, you sell them glasses, they come to me, I fix it, they buy another pair, we all have a glass of wine and toast to you!

Keep up the great work, I'm looking forward to my new Porsche.

7 years! Wow, you almost know something.

I know I'm mean, but I couldn't resist a set up like that.

I was where you are once, just left the chain, thought I was good. Then a visiting OD looked at me, after I stated where I came from and what I had done and said, 'So, you dont know anything.' I was offended and immediately understood, he was right.

Ultimately Its the MegaMart chains downgrading what we, and I mean you too, offer as opticians that we are most upset about. For those of us out here on our own our view points are different, we dont have the warm blanket of a corporation to tell us what we can and cannot do and know that our paycheck will be there on Friday. Your new, yes even after 7 years your still new. If you came into my office or Barry's, or Roberts, or any of the independents we wouldn't be looking for you to be able to describe much less fit a DS FF SV lens accurately. We would expect you to know how to tighten a screw. Sorry for the eyeopener but thats where you are.

Now, that being said, get out to an independent, whether its an OD, MD, or an Optician and start learning your trade. You will be amazed at how much your missing.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What's with the 7 year bashes?:finger: I've had surgery by doctors w/less than 3 years experience.

7 years (in this industry) is enough time to get quite a few skills under your belt, and some time to work at perfecting them.

Heck, as lazy as I am, I may not have put in 7 years in the last 22 years I've been doing this!:bbg:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I just put out an AD looking for a lab technician, first requirement was 10+ years experience in the lab alone.

I took my ABO with 1 year experience, ZERO studying finished the test under 15 minutes waited over an hour for the 2 other people who drove with me there to finish, scored "way above average" in all parts of the test.

Took the NCLE with 2 years experience, ZERO contact lens training and 1 night of studying along with a review course the day prior.

I was a lab manager when I had 3 years experience, a GM with 4 years experience, traveling to troubleshoot other offices with 6 years experience and started a consulting company for MDs with 8 years experience.

I've opened 6 successful opticals in the past 8 years and when I look back now... I didnt know crap.

Nobody hates you or looks down upon you.

Myself, I'm very humbled by the knowledge on this board and realize it more everyday..

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by johns View Post
    what's with the 7 year bashes?:finger: I've had surgery by doctors w/less than 3 years experience.

7 years (in this industry) is enough time to get quite a few skills under your belt, and some time to work at perfecting them.

Heck, as lazy as i am, i may not have put in 7 years in the last 22 years i've been doing this!:bbg:

+1
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I sure wish the OP would pop back in and continue the discussion!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    What's with the 7 year bashes?:finger: I've had surgery by doctors w/less than 3 years experience.

Heck, as lazy as I am, I may not have put in 7 years in the last 22 years I've been doing this!:bbg:
    But those docs had to go through an arduous academic process prior to receiving their degree. We do nothing in 27 states! Most Opticians have NO IDEA what they do not know, because they receive little, if any, real training. It is not the fault of the individual, but the system. We require little as a profession, so we get folks who are seeking employment, not future professionals. We can and should do better!@

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Personally, I think every person that wishes to be called an "Optician" they should also spend at least 2 years in a lab enviroment. You learn how much you don't know!!
    I came, I saw, I left

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That depends on who is teaching you! That is also the falacy of such a system.

Thread Information