Thread: varilux physio verses varilux 360

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

varilux physio verses varilux 360

Which sunglass lens would you recommend? Both choices are polarized polycarbonate progressives. Person does not have a particularly high prescription (under 4 both eyes) but there is a left eye astigmatism. Needs glasses for far vision (driving, cycling etc) as well as medium distance (computer, reading navi system in car, etc). Person is presently successfully wearing Zeiss gradal top progressive sunglasses and mid index trivex indoor glasses.
    Thank you

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Consumer???

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Consumer???
    Sounds like it.

Why don't you talk to your optician about which would be the best choice for you? :)

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Sounds like it.

Why don't you talk to your optician about which would be the best choice for you? :)
    Ralph 5519
    OptiBoard Novice

I doubt he are an "Optical Laboratory Technican".

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OCP View Post
    Ralph 5519
    OptiBoard Novice

I doubt he are an "Optical Laboratory Technican".

I am flabbergasted that you didn't suggest a Shamir progressive!

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I am flabbergasted that you didn't suggest a Shamir progressive!
    Well, I´m not flabbergasted that you would write such an contribute :D

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Sounds like it.

I am also a consumer. Perhaps coming to this board for advice is the only way to get it without a conflict of interest being in the way. An optician makes the most money by putting you in the most expensive lenses with the highest margins. This sort of arrangement, especially when it comes to my eyes, just irks me. It would be great if I could get an optician on retainer or by the hour. Give advice, talk about the tradeoffs between lenses, measure me and send in the order. Any materials needed would come at cost plus a nominal margin for processing, or carry cost in the case of frames. I have yet to find an optician or optical store that’s offers this sort of arrangement.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation.

Being less than truthful about your occupation in order to circumvent the posting guidelines you agreed to when registering is also unacceptable and because we are all professionals in this industry, we know who you are by the quality of the questions you post.

At some point in your life, you're going to have to find an eyecare professional you can trust and follow their advice.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Quote Originally Posted by davidvnyc View Post
    Perhaps coming to this board for advice is the only way to get it without a conflict of interest being in the way.
    David, you bring up an excellent point. Unfortunately the entire medical field is riddled with conflicts of interest, as our compensation is tied so closely to the price procedures we perform or the products we dispense. The medical/health care industry really needs to take a hard look at this issue for there to be any hope of keeping costs under control. I do offer a consultation only service on Lasik surgery as part of my practice. Unfortunate the fees for such services are rarely covered by insurance.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by davidvnyc View Post
    I am also a consumer. Perhaps coming to this board for advice is the only way to get it without a conflict of interest being in the way. An optician makes the most money by putting you in the most expensive lenses with the highest margins. This sort of arrangement, especially when it comes to my eyes, just irks me. It would be great if I could get an optician on retainer or by the hour. Give advice, talk about the tradeoffs between lenses, measure me and send in the order. Any materials needed would come at cost plus a nominal margin for processing, or carry cost in the case of frames. I have yet to find an optician or optical store that’s offers this sort of arrangement.
    According to Salary.com which is always shooting higher than average in New York City, Manhattan the average optician takes home a cool $40.1K that's just to give you an idea of how much we put away into our vaults. Frankly I am tired of this lumpy mattress all these hundred dollar bills in it are giving me back aches. I might need to go see a chiropractor to help get me realigned, I'll just raise the prices of my glasses since their is absolutely nothing you can do about it. I mean it's not like Walmart or Americas Best doesn't have another 2 for pair plus fries for $5.00 deal going on.

just irks me
    Not to mention I have to listen to some dim wit who comes onto a professional board masquerading as a professional to try and weasel away my professional advice. So you know what irks me? Your inability to realize that you have caviar taste with yoo hoo pockets. I suggest Walmart or Americas best where you can be assured you are getting rock bottom pricing, with of course:

Any materials needed would come at cost plus a nominal margin for processing, or carry cost in the case of frames
    What the hell do you think the price includes a yacht mortgage. It's overhead, processing fees, and payroll. The same as McDonalds, Starbucks and any other viable business.

It would be great if I could get an optician on retainer or by the hour.
    No it wouldn't because it would cost you the same with the price in a different place. What you mean is it would be great to get top notch service at rock bottom prices. I suggest if your going to wish try at least hoping to win a huge jackpot in the mega millions or powerball or something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails salary.jpg  

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :d :d :d!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph 5519 View Post
    Which sunglass lens would you recommend? Both choices are polarized polycarbonate progressives. Person does not have a particularly high prescription (under 4 both eyes) but there is a left eye astigmatism. Needs glasses for far vision (driving, cycling etc) as well as medium distance (computer, reading navi system in car, etc). Person is presently successfully wearing Zeiss gradal top progressive sunglasses and mid index trivex indoor glasses.
    Thank you
    Younger Image!

Or Zeiss.

(Both Optiboard sponsors which in no way influenced my suggestions.)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Funny

Just be happy about living in the USA here in Denmark the Prices are way higher.

Rock buttom prises starts at 800 Dollars
    most off the glasses we sell in my shop cost 1500 and above

so stop the weining and enjoy life :-)

best regards

Peter

Thread Information