Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most time spent choosing frame

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    EWWWW! Does the office manager get paid extra for that?
    Johns hired him last September.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamasc...tacker_ha.html

(He pays Johns!)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We had a woman come in at least once a week, took frames home, brought them back, ordered others to look at for 2 years. By the time she picked a frame we had to send her back to the doctor for a new exam.
    She did this again 2 years later, but it only took her about a year and a half. We stopped ordering frames for her to look at.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    \

No, of course not. I rub their shoulders, while the office manager massages their feet.:bbg:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!! :D

Philip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by j.maran View Post
    We had a woman come in at least once a week, took frames home, brought them back, ordered others to look at for 2 years. By the time she picked a frame we had to send her back to the doctor for a new exam.
    She did this again 2 years later, but it only took her about a year and a half. We stopped ordering frames for her to look at.

:idea:Didn't you ever wonder how many other opticals she could have been doing the same thing to?

She sounds a little psycho.
    Properly medicated for your protection.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    EWWWW! Does the office manager get paid extra for that?
    Of course not! It's considered one of the "funge" benefits!:shiner:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Had a woman come in with her teenage daughter on a Sat. There had been nothing satisfactory at the Dr.'s office. Tried on EVERY frame on the women's rack. Nothing up to their standards. Asked if there was anything else on other racks. Cut my loses and said, "Nope". With that she pulled out a list of every single shop in the area (14 btw), and asked who was the closest. They planned to spend the entire day eyeglass shopping. God help the place where they finally ended up ordering.

Bad address email on file Lawman Nick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Mrs. Turbedy, June, 1969. Still waiting!
    11 years later, surely she's picked them up by now, right?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post
    Had a woman come in with her teenage daughter on a Sat. There had been nothing satisfactory at the Dr.'s office. Tried on EVERY frame on the women's rack. Nothing up to their standards. Asked if there was anything else on other racks. Cut my loses and said, "Nope". With that she pulled out a list of every single shop in the area (14 btw), and asked who was the closest. They planned to spend the entire day eyeglass shopping. God help the place where they finally ended up ordering.
    Reminds me of the lady I had a few years ago. Middle aged woman who recently had a facelift. Tried on EVERY women's frame we had and TOOK A SELFIE with it! I nearly died. She was very nice, but oh my!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman Nick View Post
    11 years later, surely she's picked them up by now, right?
    You can likely bury them with her at this point.

These are the people these days you just want to spritz with disinfectant and be like "Shoo! You're contaminating everything, and I know you have no intention of buying anything here. All you're doing is making work for me because I have to disinfect everything now!"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had 1 that came in everyday at 11:30 Monday through Thursday for 6 months before she picked a frame, got to were she was even helping other patients....
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Optical Roy View Post
    I had 1 that came in everyday at 11:30 Monday through Thursday for 6 months before she picked a frame, got to were she was even helping other patients....
    Nothing else to do on her lunch hour? We had a guy that would come in for an adjustment every fourth week at the same time. It was the week his wife hosted her bridge club and she threw him out of the house.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The worst and only really bad one I had was a woman who came in at 1230ish to my shop in the mall (had ~500 frames total split between mens, womens, kids, and suns). She finally left around 630 or so. She bought one of them, but I cannot understand that mindset. I'm only there that long because I'm being paid to! Shopping for shopping's sake is a weird conceit for me

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by juno View Post
    Shopping for shopping's sake is a weird conceit for me
    I never understood associates who loved to sit with frame vendors looking at product. To me, it was a necessary evil. They are there to sell. I'm there to buy because I have to have product. I'm sure we would both be happier if they could collect a paycheck without seeing me, and I could maintain inventory without seeing them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I never understood associates who loved to sit with frame vendors looking at product. To me, it was a necessary evil. They are there to sell. I'm there to buy because I have to have product. I'm sure we would both be happier if they could collect a paycheck without seeing me, and I could maintain inventory without seeing them.
    I totally agree! There are some times I want to see the product, like if it is something really different etc. However, if you've seen one flexon, you've seen them all. Don't make me choose. Don't waste my time. Just send me what sells. I think that's one reason to be picky with your reps. You need to be able to trust them to send you what sells best in your store and not just the most expensive model.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Buying frames is my favorite part of running optical, by far. That being said, we have a good set up where whoever is the most passionate about the line gets more say. We don't leave it up to one person to buy all frames.

When it comes to patients shopping, I almost never stop someone from taking all the time they need. We do a lot of personal shopping for regulars or for patients that have hard fits/ unique needs. We will let certain people borrow frames to take home to try and often order in frames or do frame hunts where we will e-mail pictures of 6 or so options for them to choose from to have us order.

Just another way to stand out as a small independent office.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Thread Information