Thread: PAL for Dentist?

Bad address email on file Strab's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

PAL for Dentist?

I have a dentist who is a first time PAL wearer. -2.50+1.75 w/ 1.75Add. I originally put him in Hoya ID Lifestyle Trivex w/ Hoya SuperVision seg. ht.18.

He is not completely satisfied because his peripheral does not allow him to see clearly. Instance: stopped at stop sign, turns head left to look for cars but cars are still not clear, unable to turn head any further.

Also, his intermediate and reading are somewhat limiting as well in peripheral though he has adapted to this for the most part. He usually uses loops for working on a pt. and we have discussed task specific as an option but pt. declined a third pair of glasses and is pretty happy with just the loops.

So my question lies what PAL is going to be wider in peripheral w/o narrowing his intermediate and near and available in Trivex for safety? Hoya rep recommended dropping seg. to 16 and using Hoya ID Lifestyle CD and supplying lab w/ pt.'s near PD for a more accurate mapping. What do you think?

P.S.
    My lab is recommending Physio?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have a dentist who is very much of a regular and we use the Physio for him and he wont use anything else, now if I am not mistaken he is with a +2.50add so he would definately be able to tell the difference between this and a lower grade lens but with the add power your pt. is at I dont know if he will be able to pick up the difference enough to make it worth cost (of course depending on what you would sell them for)

Hope this helps

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really like the Autgraph 2! You can "customize" the lens for deeper intermediate or deeper near, based on patient's needs. For a dentist, I would give him a deeper intermediate. ex: Autograph 2 with 15mm "fixed" corridor. We see a LOT of Engineers, Doctors..etc and so far, the Auto2 is working great! I have dispensed over 30 of them since we started offering them in November and NO non adapts!!;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You might start by letting him know that progressive lenses have some distortion at the edge of the visual field. A Physio will not have a wider field of view with less distortion than a Lifestyle Id, IMO. Let your dentist walk around in a Natural for a couple days and then give him the Id lenses back. Lowering the height and using the short corridor lens will lower the area of peripheral distortion, but will not increase the width of the intermediate.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If he truely wants full periphary he's going to have to switch to a different multifocal other then a progressive. If he doesn't like the ID Lifestyle, he's not going to like the Autograph II, the Physio Enhanced, or any other freeform lens, because while they reduce peripherial distortion none of them are going to elimate the distortion. You can offer him some thing like a lined bifocal/trifocal or the atLast lens, which will all give full field peripherial, but he'll be giving up focal distances. Lowering the seg height may help and I'd try that first, but if it was me I'd explain to the patient what I'm doing what I hope to accomplish and why I expect it to probably not work as well as I hoping it will.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a Dentist, his everyday pair is a PAL. The pair he uses in the office on a daily basis is an inverted D-35. (inverted meaning the seg turned upside down) The main field of the lens is his intermediate vision set at 22 inches and the upside down seg is his full reading rx. When his pt is in the chair the Dr has a wide field of vision looking through the lower portion of his lenses. When he needs to read the pts chart etc, he tips his head down to access the add which is at the top of the lens. He has been happily wearing this design for 15 years.

Good Luck
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    We always do poly (saftey thickness) FT-35 for dentists (and we see most of them in town.) for their work glasses. Pals for going out, they understand that they will have to readapt. I love docs as pts

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Decision made...

Well, I have decided to try the dentist in the AtLast lens. I had been considering it but never having used it was nervous to try on this pt. (I forgot to mention he is my boss's dentist.) I have explained everything I am doing and why and what I hope the outcome to be but also that I have never used this lens before and he doesn't mind being a guinea pig. I will keep you informed as to our success with the AtLast lenses. Thanks for all your help.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Give us an update after you dispense them please :cheers:
    Bryan Finley, Florida Board Certified Licensed Dispensing Optician

Bad address email on file Pinas's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Hi- end lenses

Hi. Try Impression Freesign. You could design the lens of your patient according to his visual demands. We've been prescribing this lens over the years with success.

Ann

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pt. picked these up yesterday and initially was "Wowed" by the distance peripheral as well as intermediate and near peripheral. He didn't like the big jumps from distance to near. He is trying them for a week at which point I will follow up with him. Then I will give you another feedback on the product.

Thread Information