Thread: franklin segs

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

franklin segs

Can these be made in any material? If so, who should we look into to make it? I've got a pt with a +6.50 that wants an exec but I REALLY don't want order that lens in CR39. He's never worn an exec before and doesn't understand the difference between that lens and the 1.67 ft28 that he's in now.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner05 View Post
    Can these be made in any material? If so, who should we look into to make it? I've got a pt with a +6.50 that wants an exec but I REALLY don't want order that lens in CR39. He's never worn an exec before and doesn't understand the difference between that lens and the 1.67 ft28 that he's in now.
    Why not split the difference and use a FT35 or 40?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

May I recommend a FT35?
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

oh crud!

Darn, Judy beat me to it.
    :cheers:
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I agree, use a 35 or 45 FT. I make a lot of Franklins and this is one I don't think I want to touch. Contact X-cel and/or Vision-ease about the blanks.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :hammer:
    Been over both ft35 and 45 with this patient. However, he always drops a large chunk of change so he wants to get what he wants, which is cool, but I just want to get the best lens for him. Price isn't a problem here at all, he just has in mind what he thinks will be best for him and that's what he wants. He's a great patient of ours and is always recommending us to other people so I don't want to just say "ok, you asked for it" and give him the cr39 version.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, this is where you step up and tell him how thick his lenses are going to be.

I have been down this road over and over, once you explain that this isn't going to work and why they will go with your recomendations and love you for it!
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Occupation
    As kcount said, these things are gonna be THICK and UGLY. I would opt for the higher index, hoping it will make a better looking lens. But they is still gonna be UGLY!!!!!

It's jobs like this that I love sending to the competition.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually this is one you send to one of those E labs. Let them struggle for awhile..:shiner::hammer:
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

True Franklin

...are two different lenses. Top is (generally) distant SV, with the bottom cut off. Bottom is the (generally) NV with the top cut off. They could be made in ANY material that SV is available in, and could be glued together or not. Chip used to talk about them regularly.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's an idea, is there a way using free form technology to do an exec in a SV lens blank? Sounds like a great question for AWTECH.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Occupation
    Tell him the lens are going to be quadruple the thickness and we will gladly make them for you at quadruple the price. You might add that they will not stay in the frame very well either because of the thick stairstep ledge that is created.Oh not to mention the poor optics in the reading area not having a proper near inset.But then you can order decentered exec. to solve that problem. However decentered exec. are even thicker than regular ones.As far as making a true FRANKLIN bifocal that would be a foolish thing to do.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    :hammer:
    Been over both ft35 and 45 with this patient. However, he always drops a large chunk of change so he wants to get what he wants, which is cool, but I just want to get the best lens for him. Price isn't a problem here at all, he just has in mind what he thinks will be best for him and that's what he wants. He's a great patient of ours and is always recommending us to other people so I don't want to just say "ok, you asked for it" and give him the cr39 version.

Show him how it's impossible to use more than a 35mm seg because your eyes only traverse so far. If you go much over that, his nose will be in the way of one eye.
    But sometimes the customer thinks he knows more than the dispenser, so order them for him in CR-39 (only way you're going to get them anyway) and be sure to specify industrial thickness.Sometimes getting what he wants will make it easier for you in the future.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Show him how it's impossible to use more than a 35mm seg because your eyes only traverse so far. If you go much over that, his nose will be in the way of one eye.
    But sometimes the customer thinks he knows more than the dispenser, so order them for him in CR-39 (only way you're going to get them anyway) and be sure to specify industrial thickness.Sometimes getting what he wants will make it easier for you in the future.
    Ditto.
    And don't forget to mention that it's a special order, so no refunds.
    Bryan Finley, Florida Board Certified Licensed Dispensing Optician

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    Here's an idea, is there a way using free form technology to do an exec in a SV lens blank? Sounds like a great question for AWTECH.

This has been argued about several times before and the answer is NO. DAC has a program for theit systems that produces a blended FT that may work. I do not know anything about the power range. We will eventually see a blended Exec and probably a progressive Exec, but give it tme.

Diane: Many pairs of Franklins have been made using different lens materials, it will work. Clive Noble, Chip Anderson and myself have argued many times about who makes the best Franklins. Clive and Chip don't glue their's together where I do. They also use the older methods where I have developed a few higher tech techniques.

No matter what happens, they gonna be UGLY. The big problem is in edging them although the newer edgers may do a semi acceptable job.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OK I probably sound stupid here..

If the lenses aren't glued together what keeps them from slipping out of the frame when presure is applied to the center.

I can see it coming I'm going to be diggging for some scrap lenses and trying this yet.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    If the lenses aren't glued together what keeps them from slipping out of the frame when presure is applied to the center.

I can see it coming I'm going to be diggging for some scrap lenses and trying this yet.

Try it :D Chip and Clive always said it was OK, I think you'll have two pieces of lens headed for the eye, but they claim it's safe. Clive even made them that way out of glass. The reason I glue them is because of my insurance co. and my sanity.

:cheers:

A bit of advice: If you are making them out of plastic, use a file to get a FLAT surface. If you try using your hand edger, you will get a concave surface on the seg line.
    Last edited by Jacqui; 02-08-2010 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Added, deleted, multiplied

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To those saying "patient knows more so give it to him and make him deal with the consequences," I have definitely done that in the past but this is NOT a patient that I am willing to do that with. He is a great patient, one that helps us keep the doors open. However, he just wants more than can be given out of a ft28 and does not want to go into a ft35. I have talked until I was blue in the face about him wanting something that isn't going to work.

And, Diane, thanks for answering my question. In my mind, I couldn't think of any reason why it couldn't be done in a 1.67 but I just don't have the old school lab experience to do know for sure. Now that it is possible, who can do it? Again, price isn't an issue, and while I know that they aren't going to look good, they HAVE to look better in a fused 1.67 than in CR39.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Your customer is being unreasonable. If you can't explain to him in cretinous terms that he can understand, just do what I have done a couple of times: Stand up, cross your arms in front of your chest and say," I only want to give you the best lenses for your situation, if you ignore my advice I'm afraid you'll have to take some one else's, as I will not make you ugly, non-workable glasses." Worked for me, they listened and got FT-35.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To those saying "patient knows more so give it to him and make him deal with the consequences," I have definitely done that in the past but this is NOT a patient that I am willing to do that with. He is a great patient, one that helps us keep the doors open. However, he just wants more than can be given out of a ft28 and does not want to go into a ft35. I have talked until I was blue in the face about him wanting something that isn't going to work.

And, Diane, thanks for answering my question. In my mind, I couldn't think of any reason why it couldn't be done in a 1.67 but I just don't have the old school lab experience to do know for sure. Now that it is possible, who can do it? Again, price isn't an issue, and while I know that they aren't going to look good, they HAVE to look better in a fused 1.67 than in CR39.

You wanna pony up the costs, I'll make em. order the lenses and send em on over.. all remakes are your bill.:D
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Occupation
    Could send them to me, it's what I do for a living. :D

Notice: I ain't cheap!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I did some years ago. You only have to edge two lenses. Cut them in half (or wherever) ensuring that one is a duplicate of what is cut off. If you've got finishing equipment, just practice. I never glued them, but I would agree with Jacqui, and find out what type of glue. It really isn't that difficult to do.

If I had a finishing lab now, I'd try it again. I believe in trying to do something that others won't. Good luck. :)

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Thread Information