Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UnExpo

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ain't it the truth! Everyone that I talked to about last year's event and who asked me to invite them to the next one is too busy.

I guess that's a good thing...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm saving my money up for VEW. At least there I can see models complain about their designer torn jeans having a lose thread. :D

(you had to be there to get the above...)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Space is extremely limited (we've got 4 spots left!:o)[/QUOTE]

Un expo 2016. We let this go for many reasons, but I would like to plan #3. First started in 2008, small group from here on optiboard got together to share and brainstorm.

I have plenty of free time to plan this, pm me if interested, your location also, and I can try to find a central location, as everyone is on there own dime here.

It will be a limited event, as it has been in the past. Looking at sometime in May.

In memory of dragonlensmanwv, we all miss you Mark.
    Last edited by obxeyeguy; 02-10-2016 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Spell

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Keep me informed about this, PM may be better

Un expo 2016. We let this go for many reasons, but I would like to plan #3. First started in 2008, small group from here on optiboard got together to share and brainstorm.

I have plenty of free time to plan this, pm me if interested, your location also, and I can try to find a central location, as everyone is on there own dime here.

It will be a limited event, as it has been in the past. Looking at sometime in May.

In memory of dragonlensmanwv, we all miss you Mark.[/QUOTE]

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This may be a perfect place to show you the Automatic Lens System? We are going to be rolling by Expo but ready for prime-time soon after.
    Craig and Harry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    This may be a perfect place to show you the Automatic Lens System? We are going to be rolling by Expo but ready for prime-time soon after.
    Craig and Harry
    Very well could be Craig. Harry is also an original member, so he can fill you in on un-expo. Always looking to learn, and make us better.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Craig and Harry
    At the second UnExpo, we had other vendors who wanted us to view/critique products, and it got to the point to where we had enough interest that we ended up with a major lab, a frame company, and a contact lens company sponsoring the event, which kept the cost down to a very minimum. Their reasoning was that although it was a small group, the majority of us were independent owner, or decision makers for independent owners. It was worth their while.

Mark, Fezz, and I also struggled with the idea of having ANY vendors there, as it went against the original concept. It was called "UnExpo", because we would go to the VEE and VEW, meet each other in the aisles, but had to cut our conversations short due to having to run to appointments with vendors. We thought it would be cool to have a gathering where we spent the entire weekend "in the aisles", doing nothing but shooting the breeze, discussing new ideas, trends, and perhaps business issues we might be struggling with .

The dynamics have certainly changed. Some of use have left private practice to go on our own, some have gone the other way, and our friend Mark passed away. Today, many of us have more time at the VEE and VEW, and spend an extra day or two in NYC or Vegas just hanging out. I still see some of the original attendees fairly often. I see OBX at VEW and VEE, MountainHeart on my way down to Fla., Eyegrass at local events, and I think I'll be seeing Harry Chilling next week. Still others I have run into at leadership meetings and other typical events.

This time around, OBX will be directing it, and I'll be happy to attend. I'm not sure if there will be more, less, or the same amount of people. Typically, about 60 people get excited about it, 25 sign on, and around 15 show up. Many like the idea, until it comes down to the wire and they have to come up with the funds, and have to make arrangements at their office.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    It is very difficult to get a group of like minded individuals together for whatever purpose. My daughter and son in law started a National Support Group "Movers and Shakers" for people with Parkinson's disease a number of years ago. The group is very active over the internet and they started an annual cruise "Cruise at Sea for PD" which has slowly increased the number of participants over the years.

They found that by alternating cruise destination, East Coast one year West Coast the next that they were able to satisfy their nationwide participation. They have used a travel agency for all the details. They started small with about a dozen cabins. They also found that having the cruise date a year ahead allowed people to plan the cruise dates.

The point here is that even if you are not particularly interested in the program being offered you can enjoy some leisurely time at sea.

Most importantly, stick to the stated purpose of the get together. I would love to get together for some serious eating, drinking and tall tales but woe betide you if you sneak in any peddlers, loose women or pickpockets unless I am adequately forewarned.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey! What do you have against loose women Dick?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unexpo...interesting concept. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like this time, I'm not welcome.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Why not? As far as I know, I would assume that past attendees are auto-invites. I'm not in charge this time around, but since it's not officially an event yet, I don't think anyone has been invited yet. Mark lives closer to you than he did at the time of the last UnExpo, so there's a good chance he might be planning to hold the event at your house!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will volunteer my house in Fort Myers FL. You can't stay the night but days are open.

Occupation
    I do believe that my new residence in Naples has a "Community Room" by the pool that is available to residents for stuff like this. We will be moving to Florida from Southern Oregon in mid March. As I recall there are full kitchen, BBQ and wet bar available at no cost. Plenty of nice places to stay near by.

Southwest Florida is the place to be in the winter, or so I am told.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TGM_Malibu_Lakes_016.jpg  

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Judy, nothing official yet, just checking interest. All previous attendees are of course included if we do this, it is almost expected. That is the main point for me doing this. It was always intended as a small group, and will stay at no more then 15. Location to be determined soon.

Ps. Check your voice mail
    Last edited by obxeyeguy; 02-13-2016 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Ps

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think this sounds like a very intriguing event. Would also love to see Craig and Harry's ALS. I will keep tabs on this thread for sure.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeCare Rich View Post
    I think this sounds like a very intriguing event. Would also love to see Craig and Harry's ALS. I will keep tabs on this thread for sure.
    We will be there.
    Craig and Harry

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I'll be manning a booth at Expo East.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I'll be manning a booth at Expo East.
    Most of us will be at VEE as well. It won't be scheduled during VEE or VEW.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll be at VEE as well. Stop by the booth and say Hi!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Due to personal issues, I don't have the time to plan this. If someone else from the group wants to take the lead, great. If not, un-expo is still in hiatus.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Hey! What do you have against loose women Dick?
    I have nothing against loose women. In fact back in my younger days I used to hang around with lots of loose women and quite a number of pickpockets con men, swindlers, miscreants and opticians. Now, older and wiser, I avoid most of this monkey business unless I double up on my heart pills.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Why not? As far as I know, I would assume that past attendees are auto-invites. I'm not in charge this time around, but since it's not officially an event yet, I don't think anyone has been invited yet. Mark lives closer to you than he did at the time of the last UnExpo, so there's a good chance he might be planning to hold the event at your house!
    Pick a date, find a place to stay and the "meetings" can happen at my house, on the deck. Fezz has seen the deck. It's big enough.

Thread Information