Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Varilux Physio Enhanced Lenses

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Who said?

I have heard rumor that the Panamic has been set for retirement, but I have yet to hear any rumor or bitter chattering about the Ellipse.
    One of Judy's old friends. It was mentioned to the sales staff down at the Florida meeting.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    The design of Physio enhanced is "weighted" to provide an overall slightly-greater negative-focus effect in the DV-axial zone (in front of the pupil) to compensate primarily for The spherical aberration of the eye at nite. Other HOA mixes are also weighted in a "proprietary" fashion by Essilor in order to (Caution: comparative ahead) "enhance" night acuity...

when compared against previous E progressives and those based on Wave 1 algorithms.

FWIW, and to the best of my understanding...at this time

Barry
    But that can be done in the mold also. Hard to see where you can optimize this for each indivdual Rx in a way that would be noticable to the wearer. It's difficult to understand how there can be any further reduction in coma and trefoil compared to the regular Physio- IMO the best night vision (contrast/acuity) performance of any PAL that I've tried (yes, I have larger than average pupils), including some very optimized freeform generated PALs.

To be sure, it's smart to market and produce a PAL with an emphasis on night vision, when you consider how many people over age 50 comment about their deteriorating night driving vision.

Quote Originally Posted by allanon View Post
    Kodak Unique? Say it ain't so!
    Unique enhanced? What's up with that Signet Armourlite/Essilor deal? When I asked Essilor about it, believing for the moment that Varilux went freeform backside, all I got was silence.:)
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    But that can be done in the mold also. Hard to see where you can optimize this for each indivdual Rx in a way that would be noticable to the wearer. It's difficult to understand how there can be any further reduction in coma and trefoil compared to the regular Physio- IMO the best night vision (contrast/acuity) performance of any PAL that I've tried (yes, I have larger than average pupils), including some very optimized freeform generated PALs.

I'm not thinkin, Robert, that *each* Rx is optimized. Only that E has "tweaked" the design to deliver better night vision, re: then reasons I gave above. It is possible. We did it all the time at Tele Vue, depending on what we wanted to correct.

To be sure, it's smart to market and produce a PAL with an emphasis on night vision, when you consider how many people over age 50 comment about their deteriorating night driving vision.

Nah, that's just us ol' geazers likin' to tilt our heads back and rest them on the newer, taller, safety headrests. "Sheesh, I'm tired...."
    Barry

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I heard that Ellipse is being renamed something mystical like "Varilux Short".
    At least it will be easy to remember with all the different varilux prog's who can remember which is used for short corridor.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    FWIW my last pair of glasses were Physio 360 and my new pair are Physio Enhanced. My distance vision has scarcely changed; I couldn't really see any difference when my optometrist switched the phoropter back and forth between my old and new Rx but I certainly need more add than I used to.

My zones are narrower but that is expected with more add. Since wider zones were a promised feature of this lens I was hoping it would cancel out the narrowing effect of more add.

The biggest difference I see is everything, near, intermediate, and far looks sharper. Since my distance Rx hasn't really changed I assume these lenses just work better.

Physio Enhanced gets two thumbs up from me anyway.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bruce, thanks for sharing your experience with this lens. Can you tell me your fitting height and add?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Bruce, thanks for sharing your experience with this lens. Can you tell me your fitting height and add?
    Fitting height 16mm add +2

I did notice one more quirk since my original post. Every pair of spectacles I've had I see double left of center due to anisometropia. This seems to be worse with my new glasses; Now I start to see double 15-20 degrees left of center. My Rx is OD +1.00 -0.75x102 OS +2.25 DS OU add +2.00. I assume the worsening of double vision isn't really the fault of the new model though.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by brucejackson View Post
    Fitting height 16mm add +2

I did notice one more quirk since my original post. Every pair of spectacles I've had I see double left of center due to anisometropia. This seems to be worse with my new glasses; Now I start to see double 15-20 degrees left of center. My Rx is OD +1.00 -0.75x102 OS +2.25 DS OU add +2.00. I assume the worsening of double vision isn't really the fault of the new model though.
    It could mean less focus on minimizing distortion in favor of minimizing power error or marginal astigmatism. There are an infinite number of variations that could be called a good design, I believe the lens is a good design for you, but that doesn't mena it's the best design for everyone. I like to encourage people to try different products across various vendors. My reasoning is that each vendor will have a different way of managing errors so having product that spans different vendors makes your office more versatile. It is difficult to stay on top of many vendors but it's so worth it when your patients leave happy with your lens choices and your competitors have a hard time finding out what you fit. I know from experience what most of the local shops in my area fit and what lenses they tend to be comfortabel with and I have access to all of them and a level of comfort fittign any of them, most the times from a few key questions I will be able to figure out if I can do better with a different design which gives me an advantage since I try to never give anyone the same old same old.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I thought I would chime in here since I just got my new Varilux Physio Enhance lenses yesterday. My old lenses are Varilux Physio 360. Still waiting for that "WOW" factor....waiting....waiting. Ok here is the skinny. If I wasn't looking for a difference I would not notice anything but since I am looking I do notice that colors are a bit more enhanced and the edges of things are slightly shaper but "slightly" is not "wow". If I were going from say a Comfort to this lens then yes a big difference but the tiny improvements in vision I see going from 360 to Enhance are hardly worth writing home about. Will I sell them? Not right now because I don't really "get" the big deal and I'm just being honest.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    I thought I would chime in here since I just got my new Varilux Physio Enhance lenses yesterday. My old lenses are Varilux Physio 360. Still waiting for that "WOW" factor....waiting....waiting. Ok here is the skinny. If I wasn't looking for a difference I would not notice anything but since I am looking I do notice that colors are a bit more enhanced and the edges of things are slightly shaper but "slightly" is not "wow". If I were going from say a Comfort to this lens then yes a big difference but the tiny improvements in vision I see going from 360 to Enhance are hardly worth writing home about. Will I sell them? Not right now because I don't really "get" the big deal and I'm just being honest.

Thank you for an honest, straightforward review!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

enhanced

Not to obviously point out the.. well.. obvious..

As they said, it is intended to eventually replace the 360 design. So improvement, however slight you personally see it, is what they're advertising.

It also is available without anti-reflective coating, which is a more "retail friendly" offering for which I give kudos to Essilor.

It also has a variable fitting height, which has worked surprisingly well in the dozen or so I have dispensed so far.

All in all, I give it pretty high marks for an average retail progressive. I also tend to believe it is a much more friendly option for a beginner presbyope, reminding me of the early days of fitting comforts.

The word from our local Essilor rep is that the current comfort, panamic, ellipse, and the 360 offerings will be phased out entirely in the next year or so. All of which will not be missed by us.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As an emitrope I usually fit my personal various progressives to base of pupil. My recently comped Enhanced had to be raised up to center pupil via nose pad adjusting. So my experience says to error on the high side of fitting them.

Essilor wised up imo by letting us get them with no AR.

I still like my Auto 2's best but I've found I can wear pretty much any design without a lot of trouble.

(Arguing with the Optician never gets me anywhere anyway.)

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by lind2020 View Post
    Not to obviously point out the.. well.. obvious..

As they said, it is intended to eventually replace the 360 design. So improvement, however slight you personally see it, is what they're advertising.

It also is available without anti-reflective coating, which is a more "retail friendly" offering for which I give kudos to Essilor.

It also has a variable fitting height, which has worked surprisingly well in the dozen or so I have dispensed so far.

All in all, I give it pretty high marks for an average retail progressive. I also tend to believe it is a much more friendly option for a beginner presbyope, reminding me of the early days of fitting comforts.

The word from our local Essilor rep is that the current comfort, panamic, ellipse, and the 360 offerings will be phased out entirely in the next year or so. All of which will not be missed by us.
    It does not have a variable fitting height, you've been bamboozled.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used it on a friends new glasses she got through VSP. Her last glasses were Definity Short. The fitting height was 20 and her rx is about a -3.50 with a little cylinder and a +2.50 add. I used the Physio Short on the other pair she ordered (height 16) and there was a delay on them and she's picking those up today.

She is having trouble seeing the computer with her new glasses. The change was only one step in each eye (one got stronger, one weaker) but with her new glasses she has to raise her chin to see the screen and she didn't with the old ones. I redotted the lenses and they are perfect. I'm going to wait and see how the computer is with the Physio Short.

Otherwise, she likes them, reading is very good and distance is also. I asked her about night time vision but she hasn't compared them to the old glasses yet. But there is no WOW, not that I expected there to be.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

fit

Quote Originally Posted by YrahG View Post
    It does not have a variable fitting height, you've been bamboozled.

Perhaps to be clear I should have said it has a "Minimum" fitting height as low as 14mm.

according to the manufacturer:

** Varilux Physio Enhanced lenses are available at fitting heights of 14 mm and up. The lens design preserves 93 percent of image sharpness in low-light conditions and offers wider fields of vision at every distance compared to Varilux Physio lenses, Essilor reported. **

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Those of us without adds think ya'll are nuts.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Honey this is definetly not 360 in a new box ! I got the lens and am truly a no line hater as I have tried all there is out there until now! I can honostly tell you that this lens is great !
    :)

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    There are *plenty* of us who use Essilor lenses, and many other large multi-national lens manufacturers products with *great* success. Simply put - they work. And very very well for many of us. They're also cheaper to some of us than just about any other option. They offer a very wide selection of lenses for a wide selection of lifestyles and vision needs. They have a killer warranty. They have some pretty amazing representation out in the field (hat tip in our Pete's general direction). Are they "perfect"? Nope. But neither is *ANY* other lens manufacturer on this little rock we call home. Misrepresent? No more than *ANY* other lens manufacturer I've ever met.

No need to be a hater! :shiner::p:cheers::cheers::cheers:

thank you

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Where is the add power?

Sorry if I over looked something but where is the add and channel, or intermediate vision positioned, on the front or back of the lens?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Check the Lens Guru for your general layout charts (assuming you don't already have them in your dispensary of course), and talk to your local Essilor and/or Varilux brand rep for greater info on the individual lens design features. I haven't seen Pete around here much at all lately, but if he pokes his head in, you'd be hard pressed to find a more knowledgeable lens guy...from Essilor or anywhere else. :)
    Last edited by Uilleann; 06-21-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling - it's hard.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm interested to know what others are retailing this bad boy at? Because it definitely costs me an arm and a leg.
    Last edited by jmchapman; 06-19-2010 at 10:01 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Open forum....TAKE OUT THE PRICES!!!!

Thread Information