Thread: HELP..experience with contracts for OD to work in my shop?

OptiBoard Novice OptiBoard Silver Supporter GOO's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused HELP..experience with contracts for OD to work in my shop?

Hi Everyone, This is all very new to me so I pray I bring the proper etiquette to this platform, if not please let me know how I can improve my communications : ) Here is my dilemma: I just spent countless hours looking on-line for a template to represent my needs as a small optical shop owner looking to bring in an OD. I am certain that the future will hold the need for a contract with this (new) doctor.
    I do not think an attorney can compose one with out me spending hours (and boat loads of mulah!) explaining the criteria unique to this situation. Does anyone out there have an idea ? How can I make sure I do not set myself up for disaster.
    ~ can you tell I have already experience the pain of not having a contract?~
    I realize that there is a wealth of experience out there and would so love to be able to draw from it rather than experience the sting of stupidity (again!)
    :idea: GOO

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GOO View Post
    I realize that there is a wealth of experience out there and would so love to be able to draw from it rather than experience the sting of stupidity (again!)
    Are you willing to pay for it?

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just spent countless hours looking on-line for a template to represent my needs as a small optical shop owner looking to bring in an OD. I am certain that the future will hold the need for a contract with this (new) doctor.
    Ask yourself a 2 simple questions.

1. Who are you trying to protect?

A, Yourself?
    B. The doctor?
    C. Both of you?
    D. Your business?

2.What are you seeking protection from?

A. The doctor?
    B. Consumers?
    C. The government?

I'm sure that this goes against every good business there is, but I deal w/anywhere between 11 and 14 doctors at any given time, and I have NO contract at all. Almost any contract can be broken...somehow.

I went through the same anguish you did, when I first opened my practice more than 20 years ago. I went over contract after contract, and couldn't find one that covered every scenario. Finally, I wrote down exactly what I was trying to accomplish, and that was simple: allow optometrist to practice in/near my practice, and hopefully attract people that would want to get eyewear at my optical.

I realized that if an OD wanted to leave, then I certainly wouldn't want them bound by a contract to have to stay. How good would that be...to have an disgruntled doctor doing exams for you because he/she had to?

I decided that I would make the conditions so optimal, that they would not want to leave. I did that, and it worked! They pay no rent, no equipment, no percentage of gross, no advertising, no staff...nothing! Some office have a hot cup of coffee waiting for them, along with their bagel or muffin...whatever it takes. Most stay until:

1. They get pregnant, and then they're out for a few months.
    2. Open a practice of their own, and then they come back part-time when they REALLY need the money.
    3. They die.

People have asked me, "What would happen if the OD took their records and moved accross the street?" I tell them that I would load the records into their car, and hopefully sell them some equipment to get started! It would be another source for Rxs for us, and I am very confident in our ability to attract and keep customer for our dispensary.

Again, most people wouldn't agree w/this and say that I'm leaving myself wide open, but it's worked for me, and I'd never do it any way else.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Some office have a hot cup of coffee waiting for them, along with their bagel or muffin...whatever it takes. .
    Are you hiring? :D

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedema View Post
    Not right now. Our turnover is very low.:o

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedema View Post
    Oh...and we don't hire ODs. They just come in, work for their fee, and walk out with a bag full of money.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ~ can you tell I have already experience the pain of not having a contract?~

Just wondering what went wrong with out a contract, I have not had one,never crossed my mind that I needed one.
    I always feel lucky just to get an OD who will do a good job and keep my customers happy. What should I be worrying about?

Thread Information