Thread: Releasing K measurements etc...

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Releasing K measurements etc...

Is there an actual policy on this in Canada or is it up to the offices to determine what they will do as a policy. Thanks.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe all patient files are confidential and require permission from your client and to do that properly requires a signature. I am not sure if by fax is acceptable or not. If this a mail order contact lens company you might insist that the patient pick there file in person. If it is one of the 3 O's then sharing information is in the clients best interest as any unusual changes in K readings deserves further investigation.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-optician View Post
    I believe all patient files are confidential and require permission from your client and to do that properly requires a signature. I am not sure if by fax is acceptable or not. If this a mail order contact lens company you might insist that the patient pick there file in person. If it is one of the 3 O's then sharing information is in the clients best interest as any unusual changes in K readings deserves further investigation.

I should have been more specific. Sorry. I mean releasing to the client to aide them in purchasing online.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    I should have been more specific. Sorry. I mean releasing to the client to aide them in purchasing online.
    If someone walked in your door and was not one of the 3 O's would you release that information to them ? If the answer is no, then the same applies to releasing it to the patient .

If you feel you must release it , then code it so only you know what it means.

If you think they are going to buy on line then you are just helping to put yourself out of business.

Even if your licensing board says you have to release it ...don't do it in a recognizable form . Your license board gets their money whether you can pay your bills or not. If your board doesn't agree then have them provide the measurements to the patient on their dime .

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have always considered the measurements part of my patient files as MY FILES, not theirs. You see what I mean ?
    As far as online shopping is growing, That information is in my computer, not on the patient's paper file.

When you go to the hospital for some blood tests, do you think each part of what the lab techs do is in your file ??? That's called PROCEDURES and nothing more.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    From what I've been led to believe. At least in Manitoba, your client has a right to those measurements along the same lines that they have a right to their pd measurement. As far as I know, we can charge for release of this information.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    From what I've been led to believe. At least in Manitoba, your client has a right to those measurements along the same lines that they have a right to their pd measurement. As far as I know, we can charge for release of this information.

There is only one reason for the patient to have that info and that reason is so they can buy from someone who is not capable of measuring it for your client . In other words they are an unauthorized dispenser . Does your licensing board condone unauthorized dispensing ?

Do not do it . Also do not fill in the corerct pds and seg heights on insurance forms . Code them so only you can decipher them .

Petition you College and Associations to change your Standars of Practise to protect the public from themselves by eliminating these measurements from your files and forbidding them from being released . If he public wants these measurements then let their provider of eyewear obtain it .

Use common sense . There is only one reason that a patient will want his pd or K reading s and that reason is to deal with an unauthorized and unlicensed provider.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Wow! Thats a new one for me. I wouldn't not release K readings specifically to a patient, if they want a copy of their records then i suppose I just oblige, but something as specific as K's would only be given to another professional.

And I don't believe there is, or should be, and requirement to do something like this.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You are in Winnipeg ? Good Luck !

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why would you give your K measurements to another of the 3 O's. Are they not capable and qualified to take their own measuremnts....don't they have their own equipment....is their staff not qualified to do this type of work. This is your time and money being given away.

Yesterday I had an Opto MD refuse to supply a copy of the pt's VF. He asked her pt to come pick it up so that he could charge her.

Mytime...equipment....staff...rent....heat....license...sala ries...etc....MY MEASUREMENTS.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    Why would you give your K measurements to another of the 3 O's. Are they not capable and qualified to take their own measuremnts....don't they have their own equipment....is their staff not qualified to do this type of work. This is your time and money being given away.

Yesterday I had an Opto MD refuse to supply a copy of the pt's VF. He asked her pt to come pick it up so that he could charge her.

Mytime...equipment....staff...rent....heat....license...sala ries...etc....MY MEASUREMENTS.
    So to follow on that a little further: ...My measurements. I guess I don't have to give out a glasses prescription anymore.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We have a dilemna. We need release and co-operation amongst the three LEGAL O,s . It can't extend past that point . It is not reasonable . It is not feasible to maintain our premises , equipment OR OUR LICENSES, otherwise.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optical maven,
    If I give out an Rx to anybody but a licensed dispenser Dr I get fined by my order "BIG TIME". If one of the 3O's asks for an Rx I am obliged to give it...PD's are at my descression.

If one of the 3O's is fitting contacts, let them make their own fitting analyses and calculations. In 40 yrs I have never asked another office for more than a verifiaction or a copy of the RX.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have had on occasion examined patients and have noted abnormal K's. In those rare occasions I have contacted previous examiners for information to note any changes. This can also happen if a refractive error is unusually different. Having a bit of historical information can be helpful.
    If someone pays me to examine their eyes, the information I gather is their property. If they want me to transfer the information, I will. I will charge them for my time.

Thread Information