Thread: blue lenses at night

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

blue lenses at night

The question of tints for night driving has been done to death on OB, but I just got a request (from an Ophthalmologist, no less) for BLUE tinted night drivers. The doctor involved says she "read it on the internet", but wasn't more informative than that. Now, I think it's pretty much agreed, in general, that no tint is efficacious; but if you were going to use any color, why blue? I'm aware of the blue lenses designed to see tennis and golf balls (actually, they don't help to see the ball per se, they just suppress the background). The output from modern headlights is bluer than the old sealed-beams; is there some relationship? Again, I'm not asking if you like tints at night, just why blue is better/less-worse than other colors.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by finefocus View Post
    The question of tints for night driving has been done to death on OB, but I just got a request (from an Ophthalmologist, no less) for BLUE tinted night drivers. The doctor involved says she "read it on the internet", but wasn't more informative than that. Now, I think it's pretty much agreed, in general, that no tint is efficacious; but if you were going to use any color, why blue? I'm aware of the blue lenses designed to see tennis and golf balls (actually, they don't help to see the ball per se, they just suppress the background). The output from modern headlights is bluer than the old sealed-beams; is there some relationship? Again, I'm not asking if you like tints at night, just why blue is better/less-worse than other colors.
    In scoptopic vision the eye's cone cells stop functioning and the rods take over this result sin a reduced visual acuit and a shift in the sesitive wavelength from 555nm in the greeen spectrum to 505nm which is the lighter blue spectrum. This might be what he is refering too. Keep in mind if you filter any other wavelegths out the pateint is actually at a handicap since the rods offer more coarse vision then the cones do so any tin thtat filters wavelegnths that might stimulate the rods woudl prevent good VA.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would ask the doc to be *very* specific and to articulate very clearly the exact tint wavelength and density she is requesting. Perhaps have a sample done up first and send to the doc for approval first. Otherwise, there's more than a chance to take a bath in all the remade lenses, headaches etc. from this one. Good luck!!! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Contact Ian Jordan!

Thread Information