Thread: Question about computer memory

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Question about computer memory

At my work, we do a lot of scanning. Everyday, for various reasons, we are scanning and archiving hundreds of documents. I have been asked to quantify these archived documents. Someone wants to know approximately how many pages we have archived. I am wondering, is there a way to guess the number of pages just by looking at the memory that is being used up? Is there a formula that says, on average, 10,000 document = so much memory? (Or some such thing)

Thanks

dwayne

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Not really...memory is used for running the program which is being used to archive, and it usually takes up the same amount of memory whilst running no matter how many documents you're archiving. The more memory you have, just means that the more programs you can operate at full capacity without anything slowing down or hanging up.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    At my work, we do a lot of scanning. Everyday, for various reasons, we are scanning and archiving hundreds of documents. I have been asked to quantify these archived documents. Someone wants to know approximately how many pages we have archived. I am wondering, is there a way to guess the number of pages just by looking at the memory that is being used up? Is there a formula that says, on average, 10,000 document = so much memory? (Or some such thing)

Thanks

dwayne
    You can guess any number you want. If your documents are not very nearly identical the variation amplified by the number of documents could make the margin of error unacceptable.
    However, try scanning several and note how big the file for each on is. Then you might be able to average them and divide that number into the amount of storage the saved scans occupy.
    Or, if they're all stored in one folder, you can right-click on the folder, select Properties and it will tell you how many objects are in that folder.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post

Thanks

dwayne
    Are the scans just saved to your hard drive or are they saved in a database?

Thread Information