Thread: JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT YOU SAW IT ALL

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

After 35 years, thats what you think, however, lady comes in the other day with glasses. Adhesive tape all over them. Says no money and i need them fixed. I said, you take off the adhesive tape and i,ll fix them for you. She said ok, and put them in her mouth and chewed it off.

Wish I coulda seen the look on your face when she did that!!!! Bet you were shocked to say the least...lol

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Harry, My daughter would say.."that's just so wrong". Al.

P.S. Another story, several months ago, an old client was in with a big btuise over her eyebrow and her glasses all bent, her story was that she was, shall we say "meditating" on he throne! and hadn't closed the door completely. Her rather large black lab missed her and and when he heard her, ran down the long hallway to the BR door. he then leaped up on the door, throwing it open, which caused the round door handle to whap her in the browline! she was laughing about it the whole time she was telling me! it was hilarious, then she says, it's really difficult to get a 100 pound dog off you in that position, when you've just been knocked senseless. LOL. Al.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Keep her around Harry. She'd come in handy for opening CD's.

EYERX

Thumbs down

You should have been picking your nose while screwing t back together makig sure she was watching the whole time!!
    lololol

EYERX

Thumbs down

You should have been picking your nose while screwing t back together makig sure she was watching the whole time!!
    lololol

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

I once had a patient bring in a pair of glasses that the temple had lost a screw on that he had stuck together with a piece of CHEWED GUM-which I actually fixed for him. It was very gross!!!!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

On a creepier note: The other day an elderly woman came in, handed me a pair of VERY bent and twisted glasses and said her son-in-law had been in an accident and could I please fix them as they had to have them for his FUNERAL. He was in a fatal car crash and the frames were bent beyond repair. Gave me the willies!!!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Not sure if she was trying to impress you or not. But if so, I would have liked to see the expression on her face if you dropped a puddle of spit on her lenses to clean them up.

Keep your chin up, It could have been worse if she bought a tube of super glue along with a roll of tape.

PAkev

Confused

Gross stories?? okay, you wanna hear another "opti-story"?

I once had a man approach me with a problem with one of his nose pads. He was complaining that one side was making his nose sore. After looking at them on him, I noticed that one of the silicone pads was larger than the other, so I took them under the light for closer inspection. at first I thought someone had purposely replaced the right pad with a differen't style pad, HAH !
    I wish ! after struggling with trying to unscrew the small nose pad screw behind the swollen pad, something squirted toward me in a steady stream.Turns out that the pad had somehow held body sweat from his face, and was trapped between the two layers of silicone that caused the "enlarged" nose pad. so, BEWARE of those fat nose pads !!!

hope you enjoyed the story, every bit of it is totally true !!

eyeguy 01

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Andrea, thats the kind of adjustment you should be DYING to do. sometimes the frame might be a little STIFF, and it can be a DEAD end job, but its a GRAVE responsibility. :)

OptiBoard Professional

Unhappy

I agree with Al's daughter. "That is just So wrong".

P.S. Ever notice those patients ALWAYS come in the door immediately before or after a huge lunch?

Carol (reaching for the Lysol and anti-bacterial soap)D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

I have absolutely no problem with such issues as the REALLY puss-filled pads.

Just say NO.

"So sorry, seems I am out of 17mm silicone (or 19mm, or 15mm, or resin,or whatever they have in...) pads. Please come back in 3 weeks, or, try Xcrafters over at the mall, I know they have lots."

For my patients, no problemo. Seeing as how I don't charge for pads, I tend to be frugal with my benevolence (and my willingnes to use brillo...)

P.S. Ever wonder why they are called 'pads'... oooff.

------------------
    Shwing;-}

Christine

Arrow

Nothing shocks me!
    A patients sees the eye doc for an eye exam
    and the doc asks the right questions but there is a communication problem and the wrong interpretation and the wrong answers on the patients part. So the RX really isn't right because of communication problems. So the patient takes the RX to have it filled by the opticians and the glasses are correctly made according to the RX but the patient complains that he can't see right through the lenses. What a mess! Most of the people that I have come in contact with aren't exactly the articulate speaking people of our culture and they have no communication skills. It is tremendous frustration for everyone where I work!
    So I guess it is our jobs to be interpreters too? So the eye doctor really did his job according to what he was told in an eye exam and the opticians filled the RX correctly but the eyeglasses aren't made the right way because the patient didn't understand any of the questions asked during the eye exam? I see alot of this going on.
    GEEZZZZ

CHRISTINE

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Dave:
    That message of yours was hideous!!!
    But, of CORPSE, you couldn't help yourself!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well andrea, now that all the words have been used i guess this a DEAD issue. For those of you wondering about nose pads, once upon a time they were actually known as GRAYTON ROCKER PADS.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

I once had a gentleman come into my store and ask me to polish his eye. He then proceeded to remove his artificial eye. I told him no problem

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb

We had a patient tell us that her contact lens moved from one eye to the other while she was sleeping. She thought it passed under her nose to the other eye.

Confused

I once had a customer ask me to adjust his frame as he had just been in a car accident.
    When I took his frame there was fresh blood and vaseline on all over them.Can you say-
    ULTRASONIC?
    I also had a customer with very gross string
    mount frames, I had to replace the lenses.
    When I finally got the string to pop out of
    the groove it flung face cheese and that nice green stuff all over my face.Some of it
    went in my mouth.I spit on the floor right
    in front of him on my way to the bathroom.

Rising Star

Gosh, some o0f you havbe some gross stories. My worst came when a lady of color came in and asked to have her glasses adjusted. She had that heavy oil on her hair and when I pulled her glasses off her face a large string of GOO (nicest word I can think of to discribe it) came stretching off with the left ear piece. It just kind of dangled there and I handed the glasses to her and said I didn't think I wanted to persue the matter any farther.

I also had a lady come in and say she had lost a screw. when I looked, she had taken a needle and thread and sewed the barrels together and put some finger nail polish on it. She must have used a shole spool of thread. It took forever to get it off.

I also love it when a really nice looking young lady comes in and says, "I need a screw". It is so fun to just stand there and smile, while their face turns several shades of red.

Jim, never a dull moment in the front office, Seebach

Maybe the nice looking ladies should ask for a cylindricaly threaded fastening device.
    That might be impressive but certainly not as fun.
    I was dispensing a fairly high plus to a very
    attractive and spunky lady,we had done a change in lens type in some way.I asked her
    if things appeared smaller than normal.
    She bent down and looked under the table,
    and said "looks good from here".

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I once had a man come in for a repair who was slightly (?) intoxicated. After he handed me his glasses, I noticed that he had a huge cut on the palm of his hand, still bleeding. Of course, he didn't feel it, but I was hurting enough for the both of us. While I fixed his glasses, my manager went and got him a bandage from our first aid kit - I'm sure he would have gladly traded places with me.
    Also had a sharp looking lady come in wearing a police uniform one evening. I was thinking to myself that getting arrested by her wouldn't be a total loss. One of my coworkers asked her if it had been a tough day, to which she replied "Oh, I'm just on my way to a costume party!". Well, it was close to Halloween...

Blake

OptiBoard Novice

We had a very very intoxicated young woman come in to make an appointment. She made the appt. then asked if she could look at frames. She puts a pair on and says, "I can see just fine out of these can I take them today?" Of course she no-showed for her exam.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Kevin Howtopat:
    I once had a gentleman come into my store and ask me to polish his eye. He then proceeded to remove his artificial eye. I told him no problem

Been There...Done That. Many,many years ago when I use to fit artificial eyes, Had people come into the office every week to get their eyeballs cleaned.

Use to make the girls in the front office just gack!

Christine

One day I was measuring this young guy's P.D.
    Every time that I would try to measure his P.D. with a P.D. stick he would burst out into uncontrollable laughter and I would have to wait for him to calm down a bit. He had a very infectious laugh. It took a long time to get the mission accomplished!
    Another day I was dotting the lenses for a woman for a bi-focal measurement and I wrote on her nose with a blue marker. She was nice about it and said "You wrote on my nose".
    Then I love the ones who come in and think that there is something wrong with their eyeglasses after wearing them for a while.
    They kind of scan the place to find you and then they point to you with their finger like you should be incarcerated, and blatently say "THERE SHE IS"!
    99.9% of the time, there is nothing wrong with the eyeglasses. Sometimes I would like to say to some of these people" I know a nice therapist with a cozy little office on 31st street".
    C.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited 08-09-2000).]

Thread Information