Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: frame reps vs online frame vendors

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist

frame reps vs online frame vendors

What do the frame reps think about the companies they work for selling out their frames to online vendors?

Wouldnt it make sense for frame companies to develop their own inhouse online sales websites? They would have higher returns on sales and more control in keeping their luxury lines from being sold on discount warehouse sites.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by APBOD View Post
    What do the frame reps think about the companies they work for selling out their frames to online vendors?

Wouldnt it make sense for frame companies to develop their own inhouse online sales websites? They would have higher returns on sales and more control in keeping their luxury lines from being sold on discount warehouse sites.
    First one that sells direct is the first one thats going in a box and shipped back. It's bad enough they sell to the online guys.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You are making the HUGE assumption that they don't!

I know of large distributors (frame companies) that do sell direct. This isn't the forum to name names.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok Johns, get over there and name them so I can check my stock.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    My point is that frame companies should be protecting their lines.

If patients keep using our offices as showrooms, only to buy the frame from a discount warehouse, it'll deter us from carrying those lines, causing frame companies to ultimately loose out.

If the frame companies want thier lines sold online, they should develop thier own inhouse website and make the sale with the apporpriate mark up.

There's a reason you only see the discontinued/over runs from the clothing industry at the discount places or ebay. The good stuff is protected and sold only with the appropriate markup at retail store/boutiques.

...and if Im a frame rep, Im talking to higher ups and voicing my concern over how my frames are being sold out to the discount places. If Im a frame rep, am I going to be needed if my boss continues to undersell me?
    Last edited by APBOD; 01-24-2010 at 11:59 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The truth is that the reps hate it. The frame companies are allowing them to be sold on line because it is a large avenue for sales revenue. It is the large companies supporting them.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by GokhanSF; 12-11-2012 at 03:12 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Hello. Do you really believe that ? I am not trying to argue but I believe your comment is not reality. I don't think that a large online company is going to track down a frame from and independent. Nor do I think that a company would give up the name of the little independent they are getting that frame from. To be honest I have been hearing that reply for an easy 5 years now. The logistics of it would be a night mare and the tracking from one company to another to another would be insane and impossible. The truth is the companies allow the online companies to purchase them because they are buying in bulk. They sell them current and close out models but that does not matter to the consumer because they don't know. To be honest I wish it was what you are sugesting. Online is killing our industry. Again sorry not trying to argue.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    My point is that frame companies should be protecting their lines.

If patients keep using our offices as showrooms, only to buy the frame from a discount warehouse, it'll deter us from carrying those lines, causing frame companies to ultimately loose out.

If the frame companies want thier lines sold online, they should develop thier own inhouse website and make the sale with the apporpriate mark up.

There's a reason you only see the discontinued/over runs from the clothing industry at the discount places or ebay. The good stuff is protected and sold only with the appropriate markup at retail store/boutiques.

...and if Im a frame rep, Im talking to higher ups and voicing my concern over how my frames are being sold out to the discount places. If Im a frame rep, am I going to be needed if my boss continues to undersell me?
    Lets see large volume online retailer, they probably get zero terms and pay offer zero warranty.

Flip side, your office.

Expect them to finance your frame purchase for 3 to 6 months, return up to an including 30% of the stock you buy, tell every patient that anything that happens to the patients frame is under warranty.

I'm not necessarily saying that is you, but look close and hard at the reasons why a manufacturer wouldn't want to deal with a brick and mortar.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiTrace View Post
    Lets see large volume online retailer, they probably get zero terms and pay offer zero warranty.

Flip side, your office.

Expect them to finance your frame purchase for 3 to 6 months, return up to an including 30% of the stock you buy, tell every patient that anything that happens to the patients frame is under warranty.

I'm not necessarily saying that is you, but look close and hard at the reasons why a manufacturer wouldn't want to deal with a brick and mortar.

...don't forget the donuts every 6 weeks!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by GokhanSF View Post
    I believe it as I was the one to go online and order 3 frames in styles and colors that don't sell much and then watch out orders coming through. Caught so many optical shops that are providing frame to the online retailers and closed their accounts. After having so many issue company decided to put serial numbers on the frames to make tracking easier.

If we allowed them to sell online, we wouldn't spent so many man power and money to purchase our own frames online. It cost us over $300,000 in just attorney fees to fight with online retailers. I don't know who you rep but this is the case with high-end brands (not brand name brands but true high-end brands).
    Why would your frame company spend over $300k in attorney fees to fight with online retailers when you are trying to block them by closing out accounts? What can you lawyers do to stop them? Can you prevent an online retailer from re-selling a frame they have legitimately purchased? I understand you could void the warranty, but what else can you do? It would seem the person your frame company can sue is the retailer who is violating the terms of their re-seller agreement.

If you have serial numbers, would be very easy to track down the retailer. Plus, word would get out quickly that retailers should not sell to onlines. I would also think a simple warning letter to your retailers would easily end this practice.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by GokhanSF; 12-11-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lots of online commerce. It grows every day. If you chose not to do business this way, good for you. Heck, I have seen companies actually selling complete eyeglasses this way.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe it as I was the one to go online and order 3 frames in styles and colors that don't sell much and then watch out orders coming through. Caught so many optical shops that are providing frame to the online retailers and closed their accounts. After having so many issue company decided to put serial numbers on the frames to make tracking easier.

If we allowed them to sell online, we wouldn't spent so many man power and money to purchase our own frames online. It cost us over $300,000 in just attorney fees to fight with online retailers. I don't know who you rep but this is the case with high-end brands (not brand name brands but true high-end brands).
    Many companies have serial numbers on their frames!
    Most of them still do not care if their stuff sold online as long as it is not sold for $30 over wholesale!
    I am sure your company is the same way. Otherwise you would need to close ALL your accounts and sell to yourself!
    The fact that you purchase 3 frames from online and closed one or two accounts is a joke. There are 5-10 new websites open every month. Are YOU and your lawyers monitor them every month?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Commerical loyalty is a thing of the past.......................................

During the times when consumer products where still made our way, I knew the largest jeans manufaturer in Canada who made 2 types of jeans, one for women and one for men.

He sold them to K-Mart and Sears and others who retailed them for around $ 18.00. The same jeans also where branded with "Christian Dior" labels and sold to boutiques who retailed them at $ 120.00.

I those times I was the dustributor for "L'Amy (Lacoste)" and sold their "Emanuel Ungaro" frames to B&M stores in Canada, while Lamy sold the same idnetical frames in the USA at half that price under their own name.

So, above statement did not apply then and most probably neither today as the customer who buy's the largest quantities, wants no warranty and pays at date of shipment gets to be in the preferred category. Commerical loyalty is a thing of the past.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Send me a PM...I'd like to deal with a company that is aggressive about keeping their products off the net...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lenny we closed more than two accounts and last time I checked we had only one frame available online for sale and that was a end user selling his or her used pair on eBay. From your response I can tell you are a total joke yourself.
    Joke or no joke! If your line of frames is not offered for sale online it is NOT the line that a consumer would come to the store and ask for! They just don't care about your line!

I am not against selling online! I am against selling online for $30 more than wholesale!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Send me a PM...I'd like to deal with a company that is aggressive about keeping their products off the net...
    They all say that they are aggressive.....
    Bring your own line in! Today China is very hungry!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    They all say that they are aggressive.....
    Bring your own line in! Today China is very hungry!
    I do that also, but if there's a line out there that is more of a luxury type product, AND not readily available online, I'd be interested.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lenny you don't even know what line I am selling so how do you even make comments on it??? Line I represent is made in limited edition World wide and each frame is stamped with the serial number.
    So what that its stamped with the serial number!?

You also dont even know me and called me a TOTAL JOKE!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thread Information