Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Here's an idea..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather A View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why didn't you put it out? I have mine framed along with my NCLE certificate...framed and hanging right there with my NC license.

I am a member of my state's association, and from what I'm reading in this thread, it appears that I should also join the national association. Is that right?
    Haven't hung it up yet. I have plaster walls and it a real pain to hang things.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    My concept to the 2/3 vote is to allow the membership to have a vote of 'No Confidence' in a board member. There should be a way to remove a board member if its found they are ineffective in their position.
    In my opinion and Hypothetically speaking , not that it could ever happen in Canada, but let's assume for speculation sake, that the board was a little errant and someone spoke up . They might want to get rid of that person as incompetant , when in fact that person was the only one that should have remained . Others may only be on a board as swing voters and recieve glowing reports .

How are you going to combat that ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Refractingoptician.com View Post
    In my opinion and Hypothetically speaking , not that it could ever happen in Canada, but let's assume for speculation sake, that the board was a little errant and someone spoke up . They might want to get rid of that person as incompetent , when in fact that person was the only one that should have remained . Others may only be on a board as swing voters and receive glowing reports .

How are you going to combat that ?
    Good question, I'm thinking we could scrap the board and simply make me King.:D

I think the vote would have to be a vote of the members, not the board, thus it would be difficult for one group to garner enough support to remove the noisy one. it would also make it difficult to remove anyone. the cause to remove someone would have to be rather egregious.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    NAO = Education
    OAA = Legislation
    ABO/NCLE = Certification

NAOO = Retail Corporations

The strongest of the bunch is the NAOO, with the other organizations that represent opticians fractured. The money that comes into the OAA is not spent to advance the profession, they'e ideas seem to be shore the walls to prevent leporacy that is unlicensed states from infecting the masses.

There are states that are doing things regardless of their licensing status, they go and provide screenings, they provide higher level education to their members, and other various goals that the have foudntheir memmbership wants.

Also consider that the largest employer of opticians is Luxottica, as the largets employer of opticians they would and do have a larger influence on our organizations than we care to think about. They contribute more to our national association and they have more influence than the actual members that the organization represents. I cannot in good faith support this organization.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    People making 15 bucks an hour can't afford to join orgs, and the pay scale for opticians will continue to drop as new technology makes the job easier.
    Trying to legislate higher pay might work, but is it moral and right? Look at union workers who know only how to turn one screw and make 30 bucks an hour, and look what that did to U.S. manufacturing.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OAA Individual Membership dues are $65 per year. That's less than a Starbucks a month.

OAV membership dues are $125 per year and it includes OAA Individual Membership. That's less than a Starbucks a week.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 01-23-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by YrahG View Post

NAOO = Retail Corporations

What does that stand for?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    OAA Individual Membership dues are $65 per year. That's less than a Starbucks a month.

OAV membership dues are $125 per month and it includes OAA Individual Membership. That's less than a Starbucks a week.

$5.00 per month * 12 Months = $60.00

I think we can all afford that.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OAV membership dues are $125 per month and it includes OAA Individual Membership. That's less than a Starbucks a week.
    Edit?? $125/mo = $1500:drop:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Edit?? $125/mo = $1500:drop:
    Oops! Edited! Thanks O!!!

NAOO = National Association of Optometrists and Opticians. It has neither profession as actual members. It's a lobbying group for big box retailers.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oops! Edited! Thanks O!!!

NAOO = National Association of Optometrists and Opticians. It has neither profession as actual members. It's a lobbying group for big box retailers.
    National Association of Optometrists and Opticians(NAOO)

Address: PO Box 459 Marblehead, OH 43440 USA
    Contact Name: Rozak, Franklin D.
    Phone: (419) 798-2031
    Fax: (419) 798-8548
    Email: fdrozak@cros.net

Founded: 1960
    Members: 13,225

Description: Licensed optometrists, opticians, and corporations. Conducts public affairs programs of mutual importance to members; serves as an organizational center for special purpose programs; acts as a clearinghouse for information affecting the retail optical industry.
    Conventions / Meetings: semiannual meeting.

Someone's a member.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    HarryChillings post, Showed up in an email but not on the board?

YrahG post would say that the OAA has abandoned my state and left opticians in IL to hang in the wind. Figures. Not surprising seeing that the Illinois Association is a bunch of mindless lemmings.

May have to call the corporate lawyer and see what it takes to set up an association.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    National Association of Optometrists and Opticians(NAOO)

Address: PO Box 459 Marblehead, OH 43440 USA
    Contact Name: Rozak, Franklin D.
    Phone: (419) 798-2031
    Fax: (419) 798-8548
    Email: fdrozak@cros.net

Founded: 1960
    Members: 13,225

Description: Licensed optometrists, opticians, and corporations. Conducts public affairs programs of mutual importance to members; serves as an organizational center for special purpose programs; acts as a clearinghouse for information affecting the retail optical industry.
    Conventions / Meetings: semiannual meeting.

Someone's a member.
    Uh-huh...Luxottica Retail is the majority member. Not their employees or leasees...just the big boys. They've been around for quite a while. I'm rather surprised you aren't familiar with them and their mouthpiece, Frank Rozak. They sent a representitive to a State Board meeting here and actually argued against incorporating ANSI standards into our state regs. Yeah, they're real pro-OD and Optician.

Thread Information