Thread: Digital Sag Gauge

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Digital Sag Gauge

I am looking to purchase a digital sag gauge. Any recommendations?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    PSI has a couple, one with a table stand, one without.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I got mine from Optek. It reads out not only sag, but also radius and true curve.

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    We decided to tool our own Steel Sphere Bell Gauge and make our own center thickness stand for blocked SF lenses. We were able to purchase the 0.001mm and 0.01m digital indicators. I thought I would share the photos.

Doc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Center Thickness Gauge.jpg   Sag Gauge.jpg  

Occupation
    Should start selling them, Doc. :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cool!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    You should see my homemade surfacing thickness gauge. I took a 10 dollar digital thickness gauge, and glued on some longer bigger feelers made out of a pattern blank. One with a point and one flat to put the block against. Works like a charm.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pic please!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I got mine from Optek. It reads out not only sag, but also radius and true curve.
    Jacqui, I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't find the item on their website, do you have a model number or pic? Thanks

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    You can pick up digital gauges pretty much anywhere, expect to spend maybe $50-$75.

Have a machinist make you a bell to fit the gauge, with a 50 mm inner diameter, with high tolerance +/- 0.005 mm, in either brass or steel (recommended). Inner (contact with the lens) edge **MUST* be free of burrs and gouges. To read minus, a 50 mm outer diameter ring is required, with the same tolerances.

The only thing is going to be finding a setup test lens that has a known, marked curve and saggita. They should absolutely be glass. Any other material is going to wear and you will end up off curve.

I can make the setup test lens, with both plus and minus curve marked in radius, 1.53 diopter, and saggita if anyone is interested. They run $30.00 each. Curves are traceable back to 1/4 wave master test plates.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Thanks Mike, what interested me was the Optek one can also do True Base Curve, can you modify your design to measure True Base as well? is there another gauge that measure true base accurately and digitally? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    You can pick up digital gauges pretty much anywhere, expect to spend maybe $50-$75.

Have a machinist make you a bell to fit the gauge, with a 50 mm inner diameter, with high tolerance +/- 0.005 mm, in either brass or steel (recommended). Inner (contact with the lens) edge **MUST* be free of burrs and gouges. To read minus, a 50 mm outer diameter ring is required, with the same tolerances.

The only thing is going to be finding a setup test lens that has a known, marked curve and saggita. They should absolutely be glass. Any other material is going to wear and you will end up off curve.

I can make the setup test lens, with both plus and minus curve marked in radius, 1.53 diopter, and saggita if anyone is interested. They run $30.00 each. Curves are traceable back to 1/4 wave master test plates.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I believe they were 'programmable' gauges, if I could find out which model, I'm pretty sure it would be fairly easy to program.

I will take a look around in the a.m.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Just checked several sources, Mitutoyo and Starrett, neither one makes a programmable indicator. Starrett used to, but discontinued it about 4-5 years ago.

You will have to go with direct sag reading, sorry!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Hello,
    We make them and can provide sag charts as well. http://precisiontooltech.com/catalog...x.html?page=18

Thank you,
    Jared

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by PrecisionTool View Post
    Hello,
    We make them and can provide sag charts as well. http://precisiontooltech.com/catalog...x.html?page=18

Thank you,
    Jared
    Jared, Thanks so much. On page 4 and 5 you offer 2 table top models, that appear to measure True Base, 25mm and 40mm chord. I am assuming the 40mm offers some wider accuracy, but it doesn't mention whether in can measure unblocked/lose or Schneider blocked lenses.

< my primary goal is to measure true base on semi-finshed spherical lenses

Can you pm me prices for both?

Occupation
    You can also use this: http://www.opticampus.com/tools/surface.php to convert from Sag to True Curve (without, you know, having to do any actual math). I've got the nice Mitutoyo model on my desk, with 40mm and 50mm chords, which measures semi-finished lenses quite nicely.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sag.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	11643
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Rising Star
    Occupation

Programable sag gauge

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Just checked several sources, Mitutoyo and Starrett, neither one makes a programmable indicator. Starrett used to, but discontinued it about 4-5 years ago.

You will have to go with direct sag reading, sorry!
    You can get a MITUTOYO digital indicator gauge, MITUTOYO serial interface to your computer and get the digital input in your Excel spread sheet. Then just put it through any algorithm you might require. For highest accuracy I recommend using 3 steel balls contact points rather tan knife edge bell. I have made some for spherical surfaces as well as 2 contact point balls for toric surfaces; works like a dream, contact me if I can be of help.

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    nice post

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Walach View Post
    You can get a MITUTOYO digital indicator gauge, MITUTOYO serial interface to your computer and get the digital input in your Excel spread sheet. Then just put it through any algorithm you might require. For highest accuracy I recommend using 3 steel balls contact points rather tan knife edge bell. I have made some for spherical surfaces as well as 2 contact point balls for toric surfaces; works like a dream, contact me if I can be of help.

Thread Information