Thread: Is Darris onvacation?

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Darris, been missed your current wisdom! did you take time off, or or you saving it for expo, vegas? Are you going to the strip? Al.

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Hello Al,

No, I'm not on vacation I've just been very busy lately. Ask Pete. It took us two or three days to respond to his e-mail because we haven't had a chance to read our mail. I was busy a few days ago studying for (and passing I might add :-) my refrigeration certification test that Pete told me about. So I'm now a certified optician, certified and bonded locksmith, a certified refrigeration tech and an trying to get the information to get my electrical and plumbing license. I may even go for a certification in asbestos abatements, who knows :-)

If I ever decide what I want to be when I grow up I think I'll go for either ophthalmology (no LASIK though probably retina specialty) or a law degree. Would your opinion of me change if I were to become an MD? :-) I enjoy pathology and I'm more mechanically inclined than I am mathematically inclined. I can do the math I just don't like to ;-)

Well I must be off the read some more stuff. Talk to you later,

Darris C.

PS. Download Odigo it's cool.

Darris, glad you're doing something productive with your spare time. I did think of a field where you can combine medicine, refrigeration, etc., you could become a coroner, though there is much optical work in that field,oh, well maybe harvesting a cornea, now and then. That brings up another point, if they've had lasik or rk, can they still be a good cornea donor? Just a thought. Al.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hello Al,

With regard to donor corneas; a good question and the answer is definitively, No. If the tissue has been altered in any way the cornea cannot be harvested and used for transplantation for several reason. First you don't know what the natural refractive power is for the recipient and therefore cannot predetermine the effective value of visual acuity that will be achieved by transplantation. Second the amount of structural damage caused by the surgery may render the cornea useless for transplantation anyway. I would think (and this is speculation on my part) that because of the tissue changes and additional scar tissue the body may have a higher propensity for rejection of the transplanted organ with or without the medications to prevent organ rejection.

Another for the "against" factor concerning LASIK. No viable corneas for transplantation.

Well, I must be off to save more of the masses from themselves.

Take care,

Darris "I have a wooden leg, four teeth, a metal hip, a mechanical heart and LASIK procedures done to both eyes. Can I be a donor?" Chambless

Darris, you can't be a donor, but hey, you still got to keep an open mind about thr "coroner" gig, but those morticians do OK as well, you could do that final glasses adjustment! Now, what's this download you mentioned, "optigo", where it is? Al.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Hello Al,

Go to www.odigo.com and follow the directions for downloading.

Darris C.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Just a thought. Has anyone ever addresed morticians and such to identify corneas that have had refractive surgery. I have known of cases where donor cornea had kerotoconnus.

Louis Girrard used to go to the trouble to identify the corneal apex and make sure that it was on the visual axis. As far as I know, no one checks donor corneas for fine details, and lasic would be hard to see.

Rising Star

Originally posted by Al:
    Darris, been missed your current wisdom! did you take time off, or or you saving it for expo, vegas? Are you going to the strip? Al.
    The last time I saw Darris, he was walking down Bourbon Street with a Hurricane glass in one hand, and a young lady in a short skirt, black hose and high heals, whom he identified as his neice, and a student at nearby Tulane University, on his other arm.

------------------

"Come see me now, heah?"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Hey Bob,

That was Chad that you saw on Bourbon Street. I would never do such a thing. :-)

Darris Chambless

Bob, you must know that Darris isn't old enough to have a college age niece, and I don't think Chad is either, maybe she's a "prodigy"?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Her correct title was "Optical Theorum Intern" We were doing some homework for my soon to be published article for a professional journal (can't tell ya which profession though) ;)entitled "Inebriational comparisons for causes of refractive errors in female v. males" i..e..which one got better looking faster as the hurricanes got emptier (is emptier a word?)

Or at least that's the story for the trade journal.

Chad "Might never forget Nawlins..... probably should" Huber

Rising Star

Originally posted by Al:
    Bob, you must know that Darris isn't old enough to have a college age niece, and I don't think Chad is either, maybe she's a "prodigy"?
    Well, he SAID it was his neice, I thought. But it was pretty noisy on Bourbon Street. Maybe he said she was "neat." Now that you mention it, I think SHE said something about being a prodigy or something. All could hear was the "pro" part.

------------------

"Come see me now, heah?"

Thread Information