Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Opticianry and Optometry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Opticians can not agree on what color the sky is let alone anything else that may prove helpful in the cause.
    That's been my arguement for years. We have met the enemy and he is us.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We talk about education and why things don't happen in this profession. I believe its because for the most part, we aren't formally educated. I'd guess around ten percent or less. I opened a poll in the gen discussion forum to see. Keep in mind, this group represents some of the better educated opticians out there.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Education

Review my series of articles in Eyecare Professional on the American Optician. I completed an exhaustive study and made specific recommendations discussed here many times. I think it may help with some of your questions. Untill we have a formal structure, and all Opticians have similar backgrounds, we will never be of one mind. Until we require a serious education, we will never again move ahead, but continue to decline. I appreciate Wes and his comments. He is right on target.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    Review my series of articles in Eyecare Professional on the American Optician. I completed an exhaustive study and made specific recommendations discussed here many times. I think it may help with some of your questions. Untill we have a formal structure, and all Opticians have similar backgrounds, we will never be of one mind. Until we require a serious education, we will never again move ahead, but continue to decline. I appreciate Wes and his comments. He is right on target.

Great articles and a must read for all opticians!

In Illinois licensure is blocked for this one reason, Education. The optician association refuses to put an education requirement in place. I have spoken to many an MD and OD that would support opticianry licensure but only with an education requirement. An Associates is not that hard or expensive to obtain.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hairdressers have to deal with many different chemicals and concoctions that can harm themselves and their clients if misused, applied incorrectly, or not properly cleaned off and disposed of.
    Not to mention the use of sharp tools in close proximity to the customer.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    It's only my opinion, but any physician must have a general understanding of the chemical make up of prescription medications and how they interact with the body, in order to accurately prescribe medicine to solve a medical problem. In the same way, Optometrists ought to have at least a working knowledge of how various prescription lens designs, materials and treatment technologies work, in order to PRESCRIBE the proper solution for the eye conditions that they diagnose. It's only my opinion...
    "No one can help everyone,
    but everyone can help someone."
    -- Anonymous

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Decades View Post
    It's only my opinion, but any physician must have a general understanding of the chemical make up of prescription medications and how they interact with the body, in order to accurately prescribe medicine to solve a medical problem. In the same way, Optometrists ought to have at least a working knowledge of how various prescription lens designs, materials and treatment technologies work, in order to PRESCRIBE the proper solution for the eye conditions that they diagnose. It's only my opinion...
    Optometrists do have an understanding of the designs and how they work, but if they had to research every new lens development, ON TOP OF the diagnostic tests that are being developed, new therapeutic drugs to decipher, testing equipment which is evolving, and developments in contact lenses (orthoK, Keratoconic Scleral fitting, etc.) They'd never sleep.

Thread Information