Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D Prescription Eyewear

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

3D Prescription Eyewear

I apologize ahead of time if this has been a previous topic.

I just got home from the movies. Tonight I watched Avatar in 3D.
    I was blown away. The best movie experience I've had in a very long time. I hear they are working on 3D HDTVs for the home.

Do you guys/ladies think there will ever be a market for 3D prescription eyewear? If people invest money on an expensive TV set for their home. They will not continue to use the flimsy shades they hand out at the movies. I had on a pair tonight that was so crooked on me, I wish I had a portable frame warmer :) Plus if a person wears eyeglasses, they would need something more comfortable.

Maybe 3D custom clips will become popular.

What you think?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Actually some of the technology being worked on does not require polarized lenses, already one company has demonstrated 3D video on an iphone using special software and an array of "lenslets" (like a plastic film)applied to the surface of the screen. The big challenge will be in up-sizing to television sized applications.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    okay, maybe you are on to something! :cheers:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/28/te...lasses.html?hp

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OpticianVlad View Post
    I apologize ahead of time if this has been a previous topic.

I just got home from the movies. Tonight I watched Avatar in 3D.
    I was blown away. The best movie experience I've had in a very long time. I hear they are working on 3D HDTVs for the home.

Do you guys/ladies think there will ever be a market for 3D prescription eyewear? If people invest money on an expensive TV set for their home. They will not continue to use the flimsy shades they hand out at the movies. I had on a pair tonight that was so crooked on me, I wish I had a portable frame warmer :) Plus if a person wears eyeglasses, they would need something more comfortable.

Maybe 3D custom clips will become popular.

What you think?
    I've been considering making a pair myself, just not enough 3-d movies yet, but I'm hoping with Avatar it becomes more common.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Loved the movie but was very grossed out at wearing the glasses that other people had on...good thing I had my trusty cleaner with me! :bbg:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Occupation
    Optometrist
    First of all, i would like to say is Avatar 3D is fantastic..
    i personally feel that 3D home theater set maybe the up coming trend as the film making is picking up steps and of cause the consumer will so who knows maybe year 2011 you will have 1 at your home.. but for 3D prescription eyewear maybe not so popular as the cost will be an issue.. a simple clip on or something you have tried in the cinema maybe a better option for the manufacturer..
    Yeap

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really enjoy Avatar in 3-D but the polarized glasses had warped lenses that were slightly scratched. I think I would like my own if I go to many 3-D movies.

From examining the glasses I think I need to use gray #1 polarized lenses. The right one would be set the normal way and the left one at a 90 degree angle.

Has anyone made their own?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    our glasses were in packages, and noone collected them as we left, so thought they were ours.

those glasses aren't the usual polarized at 90 and 180.

Brought my Avatar glasses home and they didn't work on my randot stereofly, also they don't go black at 90 degree overlapping rotation.

Harry

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I checked out the ones they gave us when I went to see Beowulf 3D. One eye was oriented at 45 degrees and the other at 135; this instead of the usual both 90 in sunglasses. I can't remember which was which at this point. Take a pair of polarized shades in with you next time and use them to see which orientation they have.
    Wes
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The glasses you took home wouldn't go dark when crossed 90 degrees with say a regular polar lens (and I'm guessing here as I haven't yet tried this myself yet) probably due to a very inefficient filter. Remember the efficiency of a polar lens increases with density/darkness. And those lenses can't be very dark or else your movie watching experience is hampered. I believe the polar A suggestion above might be close to what's used in the theaters now...but someone with more movie inside knowledge will have to set the final record straight.

Pass the popcorn

(P.S. I gotta say, that the only thing the Avatar trailers have done for me is to completely kill any desire I might otherwise have had for seeing this film...I don't care how great the effects might be - the story looks awful to me!)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

More boring than my social life!

Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    (P.S. I gotta say, that the only thing the Avatar trailers have done for me is to completely kill any desire I might otherwise have had for seeing this film...I don't care how great the effects might be - the story looks awful to me!)

I'll second that!!!

Ugh..........I'd rather watch wort ferment!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    ESPN to launch 3D network in June

Viewers will need a more expensive 3D-capable television such as those that industry heavyweights will show off this week in Las Vegas at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES). Viewers also must don special 3D glasses.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/...-network_N.htm

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

au contraire, mon frere

The glasses you took home wouldn't go dark when crossed 90 degrees with say a regular polar lens (and I'm guessing here as I haven't yet tried this myself yet)
    As stated above, I already tried em against my polarized shades. Crossed em 90 away, got axes of 45 and 135. Also checked the orientation of the 3D glasses at Disneylands "Its Tough to be a Bug" attraction and another one, can't remember the name. Same thing. They went plenty dark. Enough to determine orientation.
    Wes
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888 View Post
    our glasses were in packages, and noone collected them as we left, so thought they were ours.

those glasses aren't the usual polarized at 90 and 180.

Brought my Avatar glasses home and they didn't work on my randot stereofly, also they don't go black at 90 degree overlapping rotation.

Harry
    Wes, this was the post I was referring to, stating the lenses didn't go black when crossed. Sorry if I was confusing before. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To understand the technology for 3D movies go here. (There's some smart dudes on this forum.)

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=162723

Learn about "Circular Polarization". Interesting.....

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Just Google "3D Technology" and you will see what will be available in about a year. No polarization necessary and I would imagine that most of the goggles will have the ability to accept an Rx lens.Here is a start:

http://www.stereo3d.com/shutter.htm
    Last edited by rbaker; 01-05-2010 at 09:51 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    To understand the technology for 3D movies go here. (There's some smart dudes on this forum.)

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=162723

Learn about "Circular Polarization". Interesting.....
    Sweet link (and truly some very intelligent beings over there too!)

Now I gotta go unlearn a bunch of stuff I *thought* I knew well about polarization and re-learn new more good-er stuff. WHEEEEEEE! I loves me some learnin! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wss2020 View Post
    As stated above, I already tried em against my polarized shades. Crossed em 90 away, got axes of 45 and 135. Also checked the orientation of the 3D glasses at Disneylands "Its Tough to be a Bug" attraction and another one, can't remember the name. Same thing. They went plenty dark. Enough to determine orientation.
    Wes
    I was just at Disney and one of my nephews asked how the 3D glasses worked while were waiting in line to see one of the 3D attractions. By the time I ran out of info - just about everyone in line in that area was paying attention and holding the 3D glasses up against each other to see how they got really dark at 90 degree angles. I'm pretty sure I squeeked when I reallized everyone was looking at me.

nothing bad about Avatar, just think "Last Samurai" but with blue people. and awesome effects.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Chemistrie Magnetic Lenses offered in 3D

Eyenovate now offers 3D polarized lenses for prescription eyeglass wearers. The technology is similar to their Sunlenses, but with lenses specifically for 3D. I think these 3D lenses can fit any frame style or lens material. These lenses are base-curve-matched so they fit the primary lenses without any gaps, scratches, or intra-lens glare. I know their rep very well.
    Last edited by basecurved; 01-15-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by basecurved View Post
    Eyenovate now offers 3D polarized lenses for prescription eyeglass wearers. The technology is similar to their Sunlenses, but with lenses specifically for 3D. I think these 3D lenses can fit any frame style or lens material. These lenses are base-curve-matched so they fit the primary lenses without any gaps, scratches, or intra-lens glare.

Disclosure???

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by basecurved View Post
    Eyenovate now offers 3D polarized lenses for prescription eyeglass wearers. The technology is similar to their Sunlenses, but with lenses specifically for 3D. I think these 3D lenses can fit any frame style or lens material. These lenses are base-curve-matched so they fit the primary lenses without any gaps, scratches, or intra-lens glare. I know their rep very well.

I apologize if I'm wrong aren't you the same guy who was registered as Zclips and another tag that escapes my memory now. ie the inventor of the product? There is nothing wrong with promoting your product just be honest about it.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I prefer to think of avatar as "Dances with Smurfs," but I digress. So, after reading about circular polarization, I am left to assume that doing polarized lenses like what we sell but with different axes will not do the job? There a way to get these lenses?

Occupation
    "WIRED" explains the various 3-D television technologies:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/10/3d-tv-explainer/

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have watched Avatar twice. Once in Real3D and the other in IMAX. They use different 3D technology. The IMAX uses the more predictable polarization filter 90 degrees apart right to left. The Real3D is more complicated and more difficult to reverse engineer. The lenses don't black-out at any angle. Except when you hold one lens in front of the other and look out from the lenses instead of looking into the lenses.(hope this makes sense)

In my opinion, I thought the Real3D effect to be better. Although, you cannot beat the IMAX picture size and sharpness.

I sense this will be another battle for a standard like HD-DVD and Blu-Ray....

Thread Information