Thread: DSLR advice

Occupation
    Optometrist

DSLR advice

i'm sure there are some photography expert here, i'm planning to get a basic DSLR, a friend of mine having a Nikon D90 which is quite out of my budget, anyhow he does suggest me Nikon D5000 and Canon 500D. so ladies and gentlemen here, anyone of you using either of these model? or any suggestion and opinion about these model?

thank you in advance..
    Yeap

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Nikon d80 is a 10mp has wonderful auto settings, skintones, white balance and can use cheap lenses whereas the d40, d60 or d5000 cameras do not have motors for autofocus and require more expensive lenses with built in motors. The d80 is a last year model which should be cheaper to get without being a cheap entry level camera. Get an 18-135mm lens and you should be covered for general photography.

I have a D2 and a D300 and still miss my D80 for portrait photography.
    Last edited by braheem24; 12-25-2009 at 01:14 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi Braheem, thank you for your advice, i just check that model during the weekend, i think is not available here anymore but i will get my friend to check out for me in some other place..
    Yeap

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Woo Hoo!!

The Canon EOS Rebel T1i arrived today. Awesome camera! 15.1 mp

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=18385

"The Journey Continues.
    The EOS Rebel T1i is packed with features, both refined and new. In addition to its admirable performance with an all-new 15.1 Megapixel Canon CMOS sensor, DIGIC 4 Image Processor, a 3.0-inch Clear View LCD with anti-reflective and scratch-resistant coating, and compatibility with the EOS System of lenses and Speedlites, the EOS Rebel T1i adds remarkable Full HD video capture at resolutions up to 1920 x 1080. An HDMI port allows for quick connections to high definition TVs and monitors for easy viewing of your stills and video. The entire operation is simple and easy even if you are a beginner. You'll have uncompromised EOS Digital performance with power and flexibility right in the palm of your hand. "

Ok, so it's the gf's camera. But I get to play with it too...
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    personally i like canon, it can be a preference just from having used them for years, but i liek the lay out and placement of everything. i dont like having to pull it down to make changes so anything i can do while still looking through the viewfinder is great.

i would say go somewhere that carries a wide variety and play with them, see which feels better in your hands, some are heavier, bigger, smaller, balanced, different, etc.

dont get too caught up in megapixels, unless you are looking to wall paper your house 10+ MP wont accomplish much for you other then bragging rights.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Pentax Kx

Pentax K-x ! Check it out. For the money it blows away the competing Canons and Nikons. It's Sony sensor is better than the Nikon and Canon's in the price range. The Pentax also has built in anti-blur so you can get the effect with any lens. With the other brands it is not built in and anti-blur lenses are much more expensive. The Kx's low light performance is also better.

There are tons of old Pentax lenses available for cheap as well especially since you will want a fixed "prime" lens.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I'm a die-hard Olympus fan (although the D90 is my dream camera). Been using the Oly E500 for almost 3 years now, and love it. It's just the right size for me; I find a lot of DSLRs are too big to handle comfortably. All the buttons and whatnot are placed for ease of use. The only drawback is that it's a bit harder to find Olympus dealers around my area.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    hi all, thank you so much for so much information.. i have check out some model.. Pentax K-x seem to be a nice one but it using 4 AA size batt that really stop me and also we having a problem to get proper pentax and olympus dealer around here as well. so friends are suggesting stick to either nikon or canon.. nikon D90 is a good choice 2 friends are using that but the cost is a bit too high for me.. then some have recommend these 2, Nikon D5000 and canon 500D.. so anyone using that? from some review nikon have a better feedback..
    Yeap

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My fiance is shooting now with an old Canon 30D. The 5D is our dream body right now though. Sexy! :D:cheers:

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    My fiance is shooting now with an old Canon 30D. The 5D is our dream body right now though. Sexy! :D:cheers:
    I have a 5D...problem is, its stuck to the back of our retinal camera. :)

Thread Information