Thread: AO Safety problems?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

AO Safety problems?

I've heard through the grapevine that AO Safety has been having some issues lately, and might be close to declairing bankrupcy.. One of the biggest safety clients in town (Chrysler) just sent out a notice to everyone that they are no longer using AO for their safetys. Its just a rumor at this point, and it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me seeing how big AO is, but I figured I'd put my feelers out and see if anyone had heard the same, or has better info?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I live just a few miles from the Aearo HQ in Southbridge, MA. I'll drive by after the Christmas holiday and see if the lights are still on. The plano goggle operation seems to be doing OK as the parking lot is full of cars.

I wouldn't place too much faith in judging any vendor issues that Chrysler may be having. They are still hemorrhaging cash and can not meet their accounts payable in a timely manner. I wouldn't be surprised if Aearo finally tired of waiting for their money and pulled the plug.

Hate to say it but in Chrysler's case: "good riddance to bad rubbish."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    I've heard through the grapevine that AO Safety has been having some issues lately, and might be close to declairing bankrupcy.. One of the biggest safety clients in town (Chrysler) just sent out a notice to everyone that they are no longer using AO for their safetys. Its just a rumor at this point, and it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me seeing how big AO is, but I figured I'd put my feelers out and see if anyone had heard the same, or has better info?
    I haven't heard a thing about and is highly unlikely. AO Safety (Aearo) is owned by 3M; they have deep pockets. Since acquiring a couple of years ago, they immediatley trimmed the fat (and rightfully so) and closed one optical safety lab in the U.S. (Oklahoma) and moved all U.S. production to their other facility.

As for Canada, they still maintain their newly reinvested Toronto lab and are the only company out there that can outbid any competitor. Perhaps Chrysler simply changed suppliers? I highly doubt it though. Does anyone have a copy of that letter?

Thread Information