Thread: Construction jobs

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Construction jobs

My son just graduated from Ohio State in construction management . Great, but there are no jobs. Does anyone know a place where construction is happening?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    North Dakota

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

North Dakota

[QUOTE=Jacqui;324104]North Dakota[/QUOTE

Jacqui, I don't suppose you know any specific companies?
    thanks, Bob

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Houston, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio. Homes to highways.

Occupation
    No. Check with Job Service in Fargo and Bismark, maybe also Grand Forks and Jamestown.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a friend whose a supervisor for a road construction company in WY. Companies there are always hiring....too cold for most
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    also look at State and Municipal offices.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Since I'm an optician turned licensed contractor in AZ I guess I should reply.
    The construction industry is experiencing a huge slowdown just like the rest of the economy, but one area that is expected to be up and coming as we hope for recovery is "green building". Anything solar and/or energy efficient so thats probably where to begin looking for early activity as things slowly turn around.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    also look at State and Municipal offices.
    All the local cities are still receiving federal HUD money as we speak to help low income areas improve their living conditions. Some cities are spending it on buying foreclosed homes in blighted areas and having contractors fix up the homes and the city will sell or rent them to try & improve certain areas in the city.
    From my experiences many of the cities are having a very difficult time hiring qualified people to administer these programs and manage them, making the programs not very effective.
    One city I've done these jobs for here hasn't been able to bid out any jobs for almost two years because the person in charge was skimming money & they haven't been able to get a suitable replacement to get back on track.
    They have a limited amount of time to spend the federal money appropriately or they become in-eligible to receive more, so they are in desperate need of qualified management for these projects.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by varmint View Post
    All the local cities are still receiving federal HUD money as we speak to help low income areas improve their living conditions. Some cities are spending it on buying foreclosed homes in blighted areas and having contractors fix up the homes and the city will sell or rent them to try & improve certain areas in the city.
    From my experiences many of the cities are having a very difficult time hiring qualified people to administer these programs and manage them, making the programs not very effective.
    One city I've done these jobs for here hasn't been able to bid out any jobs for almost two years because the person in charge was skimming money & they haven't been able to get a suitable replacement to get back on track.
    They have a limited amount of time to spend the federal money appropriately or they become in-eligible to receive more, so they are in desperate need of qualified management for these projects.
    Absolutely. My last position was in municipal government, so I have seen it. Municipalities are actually in competition for funds. Those who can write the best proposals, can get projects done quickly and effectively, can do a proper tendering process, and manage projects, are the ones who will do the best.

Though one thing that annoys me, and I will probably take heat for is pay. The public complains when a municipal employee makes X amount of dollars. Yet, these same positions in the private sector make a lot more. We have to ask ourselves, do we want good people handling our tax dollars or do we want cheap people. With that said, the government also has a duty to be responsible with the dollars and it is our duty to hold them accountable for that.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    All of the above mentioned Texas cities, plus Amarillo.

Occupation
    Really, almost any place outside of the Rust Belt.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks everyone

Thanks for the good tips. Makes sense that municipalities would need construction managers.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Function: To manage construction projects from the beginning to end resulting in successful and timely project completion. Responsibilities: Participate in cost estimates, Establish budget and project schedule, Review and monitor all design and/or construction documents for conformance with budget and schedule, Negotiate, award and write subcontracts and material purchases, Initiate and obtain permits, insurance and bond requirements prior to construction, Monitor and control all change orders, RFIs and submittals, Conduct daily and weekly meetings with staff and owners/clients, Monitor superintendents on monthly schedule and safety requirements, Prepare reports and forecasts for owners and assist in developing new business including presentations. Requirements: Engineering/Contruction Management degree or equivalent experience, Leadership and problem solving ability, Strong sense of urgency, Good organizational, communication and computer skills.

Frederick Hornberger
    CEO of Hornberger Management Company, senior construction recruiter for executives regarding construction jobs, and construction resumes.
    http://www.hmc.com

http://www.constructionexecutive.com

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by varmint View Post
    I totally agree with You...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I think He must go for the freelancing Jobs. As they have a lot of Scope and their are a lot of benefits to be a freelancer.

Thread Information