Thread: Uneven eyebrows

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Uneven eyebrows

The unlevel eye subject made me think about something I have to deal on a daily basis. It's getting on my nerves, really :angry::angry::angry:

I HATE uneven eyebrows !!!
    Why ? Simply because so many people, mainly women, want their eyeglasses ajusted according to their eyebrows rather than their pupils.

On low Rx, I'm not really fighting about it.
    But on med to high Rx, FT or PAL, my conscience makes me try some explanations with the patients. My success rate is average.

What do you do ?
    What do you tell them ?
    Please share your combined thousands years of experience with me ;)

Thanks !

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you're dispensing them and did not fit them, I tell them that the glasses are fitted to where their pupil are located in the frame and not to their eyebrows. Unfortunately, most people are not symetrical and you have one eyebrow that is a little higher than the other. Most are not going to notice this. Now if you want me to adjust your glasses so that the eyebrows look even in relation to the frame, I will, but your vision may be compromised and the frames will probably feel uncomfortable. What would you like me to do? But, if you're the one that has fitted them and you notice that their current glasses are adjusted to the eyebrows and not to the pupil, ask why. If they're really self conscious about their brows, measure accordingly.

I do the same thing when someone with a really narrow, wide or crooked bridge just has to have one of the trendy plastic frames. Before they purchase them, I say, How the nose of the glasses fits today is how its going to fit when you pick it up. I can do very little adjustment to the bridge of the frame. It doesn't fit you like I would like and it's going to be uncomfortable for you. I recommend that you pick something else. What would you like to do?
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Comma View Post
    my conscience makes me try some explanations with the patients. My success rate is average. What do you do ?

Unlike you I don't have that great of a conscience apparently. Women (and some anal men) have this fixation on "eveness" according to eyebrows. You will notice that they tend to look in the mirror a lot and scrutinize themselves. I simply ask them what they would like me to do and I do it. Then I hand them a reading card and ask them if their vision close and far is adequate. They answer yes as they continue to gaze at their reflection. To be honest a good PAL is very forgiving and I have never once had a patient come back to complain about their vision once I have made their glasses "even" to their satisfaction. You gotta pick your battles.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper adjust frame prior to cut lenses........

Adjust the frame at time of purchase to full satisfaction of patient and then take measurements as pupils might not be level with the frame centers. Then mount lenses with correct measurement, one lens opt center might be mounted higher up and there won't be any visual problems.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I agree with Chris about adjusting the frame first and then take the measurments. Also I would add is to make it "blend" between good optics and good cosmetics. There are some people you will not be able to talk about their asymmetries.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree adjust the frame before the measurments are taken. Another thing that bugs me is something Ggal touched on- people with crooked noses. I get so irritated when they do not like more pad showing on one side or the other even though I am just making the frame sit correctly on their face. As far as the eyebrow thing what I say to the pt is look at the bottom of the lens that is where you can tell that it is even. This works well becaus it is something they can understand. If you are in control of the dispence and the pt knows you are expert they will trust your judgment.
    jamie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey one other thing I tell my Pts is that's what the make tweezers and browliner pencils for!!!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by jamie w View Post
    Hey one other thing I tell my Pts is that's what the make tweezers and browliner pencils for!!!

Must have been a lazy optician that invented it.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just offer to trim their eyebrows, that will fix it good

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Just offer to trim their eyebrows, that will fix it good

I know an optician who offers to trim ears when people complain that they don't like the way the glasses are uneven on a flat surface, even though they are even when they wear them. (I may have even used the line a couple times myself)
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've told several women that their eyebrows are crooked. I should have added that, even if they are even, you still look like Bozo the freaking clown. Please stop doing that to yourselves.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I get one of these time wasting Jokers, I let them go on and on and on and on and on.

When I see signs of them wearing out, I jump out of my chair, slam my fists on the desk and scream at the top of my lungs:

"You should feel very lucky that you have eyebrows! YOU HAVE EYEBROWS!

How the hell do you think I feel.....? Huh? I only have ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

You are so lucky!!! I only wish my eyebrowS were uneven!"

I than break down into a sobbing heap on the dispensing table!

That usually ends all this crazy talk and childish complaining dead in its tracks!

Hope this helps!

Unibrows Rule!!
    :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticianbart View Post
    I know an optician who offers to trim ears when people complain that they don't like the way the glasses are uneven on a flat surface, even though they are even when they wear them. (I may have even used the line a couple times myself)
    If they're nice I explain that most people are slightly asymmetrical. If they're jerks I ask if they are going to wear them on their head or on the table.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Adjust the frame at time of purchase to full satisfaction of patient and then take measurements as pupils might not be level with the frame centers. Then mount lenses with correct measurement, one lens opt center might be mounted higher up and there won't be any visual problems.
    Why that didn't end the thread, I don't know. 100% correct.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by wss2020 View Post
    If they're jerks I ask if they are going to wear them on their head or on the table.
    That is very HI-larious!:cheers:

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I generally do whatever makes them happy. Of course, progressives and strength of the RX makes a huge difference. I try to explain what will be best for their vision. But, in the end, I do what they want. As long as they are informed of the pros and cons, it's up to them. I have a friend who is an old time optician who is a high myope. She brings her glasses to me to adjust and tells me: "make them even to my eyebrows." She knows better and still wants it her way. She gets it.

Thread Information