Thread: Eyecare Review Magazine from Khan Group

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Thumbs down Eyecare Review Magazine from Khan Group

I just received the current edition of the Eyecare Review magazine. As per usual, I sifted through the various ads and articles over my morning coffee. I kept flipping the pages, delving deeper and searching in hopes to find something interesting or at least something geared toward the opticianry profession.

To be honest, it completely sucked 30 minutes of my life that I will never get back.

What a time burglar fish wrapper that was. It will now most likely end up shredded as bedding in my kid's hamster cage. A publication that supposedly is partially dedicated to the optician trade? What a crock. It is completely tailored around ophthalmology with just a hint of optometry. By the end of the 30 minutes, I was almost asleep. (No offense to the OPH's).

Along with most of his family, Mr. A. K. (the founder) is a registered optician. After my disappointing read and seeing him posing with other doctors (real doctors - ophthalmologists), I could have sworn he's a wannabe and thinks he's one of them. It seems to be more of a big boys (or girls; COO) club. Shame and displeasure.

However, right near the end, I did manage to find an article targeted at opticians and they actually had a 'Guest Editorial'. You will never guess who the guest was...none other than Mr. K himself; definitely not the textbook definition of or much of a guest.

I know many opticians out there that would be able to provide an interesting read decent article or two for opticians. I sense they are keeping us at bay for a reason?

Are opticians becoming mushrooms? Kept in the dark and grown in dung?

Excalibur
    If you offer Khan some good material, maybe he will publish it. I, for one, think it's a pretty good publication. There's a fair amount of decent information in each edition, and it's free too. As far as I'm concerned, that's not a bad deal.

-----------

Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post
    I just received the current edition of the Eyecare Review magazine. As per usual, I sifted through the various ads and articles over my morning coffee. I kept flipping the pages, delving deeper and searching in hopes to find something interesting or at least something geared toward the opticianry profession.

To be honest, it completely sucked 30 minutes of my life that I will never get back.

What a time burglar fish wrapper that was. It will now most likely end up shredded as bedding in my kid's hamster cage. A publication that supposedly is partially dedicated to the optician trade? What a crock. It is completely tailored around ophthalmology with just a hint of optometry. By the end of the 30 minutes, I was almost asleep. (No offense to the OPH's).

Along with most of his family, Mr. A. K. (the founder) is a registered optician. After my disappointing read and seeing him posing with other doctors (real doctors - ophthalmologists), I could have sworn he's a wannabe and thinks he's one of them. It seems to be more of a big boys (or girls; COO) club. Shame and displeasure.

However, right near the end, I did manage to find an article targeted at opticians and they actually had a 'Guest Editorial'. You will never guess who the guest was...none other than Mr. K himself; definitely not the textbook definition of or much of a guest.

I know many opticians out there that would be able to provide an interesting read decent article or two for opticians. I sense they are keeping us at bay for a reason?

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    If you offer Khan some good material, maybe he will publish it. I, for one, think it's a pretty good publication. There's a fair amount of decent information in each edition, and it's free too. As far as I'm concerned, that's not a bad deal.

-----------

That is a very professional magazine.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

No we're not. But right under...

Opticians are compost, they just need to have some water from time to time.

Optometrists are mushrooms, they need LOT of water and keep compost from being exposed to direct light

Ophthalmologists are just eating extra large pizzas with double mushrooms, with a good beer, on a beautiful sunny beach.
    Last edited by Comma; 12-19-2009 at 01:11 AM. Reason: FUN !

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

-----------
    For an OD, reading a clinical study or paper probably is interesting. But, most likely not for an optician.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Comma View Post
    No we're not. But right under...

Opticians are compost, they just need to have some water from time to time.

Optometrists are mushrooms, they need LOT of water and keep compost from being exposed to direct light

Ophthalmologists are just eating extra large pizzas with double mushrooms, with a good beer, on a beautiful sunny beach.

I agree with the pizza but they wouldn't know good beer if it was spilled on them .

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    For an OD, reading a clinical study or paper probably is interesting. But, most likely not for an optician.

There is not that much you can write about PD taking so maybe opticians should read upstream .

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Refractingoptician.com View Post
    There is not that much you can write about PD taking so maybe opticians should read upstream .
    For all of the bantering you provide on our profession, you certainly don't give yourself much credit. With the lack of progression, upstream is not an option and is for personal interests only.

Are you a product expert? New FF lenses? New coatings? Marketing your business? Competing successfully? Business analysis? Long term growth/survival planning? Corporate eyecare network ideas? Safety? Ergonomics? Are your sales growing or shrinking? Units up but earnings down? What's driving the customers to your location?

On a side note, if all we do is banter and nothing else, our profession is dead in the water (including your storefront). We need to devleop solutions to survive.

I have a plan, but ofcourse will not be free of charge.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2...evelopment.asp

Yup
    Shwing

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't consider optometry upstream. It is across stream as far as I'm concerned.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    I don't consider optometry upstream. It is across stream as far as I'm concerned.
    Upstream, downstream, across stream, it is still a very professional magazine . Maybe it is more specific to Ophthalmology but then the organization is catering to all three O's , not just one .

Occupation
    Upstream, downstream, across stream, it is still a very professional magazine . Maybe it is more specific to Ophthalmology but then the organization is catering to all three O's , not just one .
    It's really catering more to two O's.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It's really catering more to two O's.
    In my opinion :

What possible difference does it make in the scheme of things whether that magazine is geared to one, two, or three O's ?

(1) GG is still open, just changing the names of the stores., and continuing on business as usual .
    (2) The new ones are still not licensed .
    (3) The Attorney General has been on the case for 7 months and still has not done anything .
    (4)The Colleges are useful as a porcupine in a condom factory .
    (5) Internet sellers have our MP's on their Boards
    (6) The Colleges are overrun by non-producing old biddies neatly provided by the Public Secretariat to gum up any form of progress
    (7) Sources of Revenue are being off loaded to National organizations and the actual power & control base has moved west.
    (8)The lawyers bills are astronomical but have produced nothing not even accountability.
    (9) Not only has the revenue moved out of the College but the other organizations are being funded by Ontario Opticians and the members of council are directors and presidents of the other organizations which we fund or pay their memberships in and they advertise on our web pages while we do not even get Public Awareness advertising to stop GG .
    (10) The Minister of Health is doing nothing to stop refraction by GG and needs to vacate that position

And you are worried about a magazine ? At least he produces a magazine and attends the council meetings , which is more than some do .

Occupation
    In my opinion :

What possible difference does it make in the scheme of things whether that magazine is geared to one, two, or three O's ?

(1) GG is still open, just changing the names of the stores., and continuing on business as usual .
    (2) The new ones are still not licensed .
    (3) The Attorney General has been on the case for 7 months and still has not done anything .
    (4)The Colleges are useful as a porcupine in a condom factory .
    (5) Internet sellers have our MP's on their Boards
    (6) The Colleges are overrun by non-producing old biddies neatly provided by the Public Secretariat to gum up any form of progress
    (7) Sources of Revenue are being off loaded to National organizations and the actual power & control base has moved west.
    (8)The lawyers bills are astronomical but have produced nothing not even accountability.
    (9) Not only has the revenue moved out of the College but the other organizations are being funded by Ontario Opticians and the members of council are directors and presidents of the other organizations which we fund or pay their memberships in and they advertise on our web pages while we do not even get Public Awareness advertising to stop GG .
    (10) The Minister of Health is doing nothing to stop refraction by GG and needs to vacate that position

And you are worried about a magazine ? At least he produces a magazine and attends the council meetings , which is more than some do .
    Who said I was worried? I simply put my opinion on it.

Tell me something...I know he attends the council meetings as the 'watchdog' and is always creating a ruckus in sending out anti-COO letters to Ontario opticians talking about the ridiculous travel expenses etc....Nothing has happened or has been printed as a result. He is simply a chameleon playing the game and is as corrupt as they are. He's the appointed opposition and is tight with them after hours.

Don't kid yourself.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Personally, I don't give a crap about any fluff-filled trade magazines.

Here's what haunts my dreams:

1. No opticians online
    2. No opticians in retail stores (GG)
    3. No opticians in optometry offices

Guess what? Opticianry is already deregulated.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    Personally, I don't give a crap about any fluff-filled trade magazines.

Here's what haunts my dreams:

1. No opticians online
    2. No opticians in retail stores (GG)
    3. No opticians in optometry offices

Guess what? Opticianry is already deregulated.
    re: # 2 there are a lot more out there than just GG . I just found two more in my backyard.

Thread Information