Thread: See the Light

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

See the Light

While driving through the Univ. of Pa. area of Philadelphia, ("University City"), I noted a handful of dentist's offices, most with the basic shingle hanging out front. I thought for a minute if that dentist did go to the U of P Dental School, then concluded that whether he or she graduated at the top of their class from there, or the bottom of the class from any other school, they're going to get the same reimbursement from the insurance companies. The only thing they have differentiating them from the office down the block is their reputation and goodwill. If they're bad, they will fall away. What does this have to do with the optical business? It is a plea to get the world of eyewear dispensing out of the dark ages, where many of you still seem to be living. If you have your own store (office) in a state with a difficult license or no license, you're going to get the same reimbursements. And you probably have to charge the same for your products. If you work for a doctor or a chain, your upward mobility and ability to earn have a low ceiling. It's up to you to make the best of the insurance situation by attempting to up-sell your customers and make a few extra bucks. After close to 30 years in various levels of the business, I think that no customer is impressed with the depth of your knowledge of jargon and your white coat - just know your stuff, make them see well and look great. And take care of them. I worked in the development department for a frame company and got calls every day from customers (you guys, not the end users) with basic dispensing questions - yes there are some less than competent people on your side of the counter. Bottom line - Stop with the hubris, and be retailers and marketers, and do what you need to do to impress and retain the customers. Yes, we know that this business is so much more than standing in The Gap and pointing at the shirts, but there are reasons they do well, and people in this business who have a wealth of knowledge struggle. Don't hate Walmart, LC or whoever, see what they do better than you and try to top them.
    "I'd rather not achieve immortality through my work, I'd rather achieve it by not dying" - Woody Allen

"From the sharks in the penthouse to the rats in the basement, it's not that far" -Kirsty McColl, "Walking Down Madison"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe there are many many here who do exactly what you suggest. It can also be summed up in the old adage: "Work SMARTER, not HARDER." If you are serving a patient well, and doing the best you can to educate, and advocate for their overall ocular health and lifestyle needs, you almost always stand to be both profitable, honest, and have real staying power in the industry. There are a multitude of patients with an extremely colorful and varied array of needs and it is never an easy task to figure out those needs quickly, and accurately. Yet - that is the task we're each faced with daily. Some excel, others just get by, and the rest will, sooner or later, fall by the wayside.

It continues to grow more and more difficult to differentiate one's self from the myriad of choices presented today in health care system. But it can be done, and if done well should prove highly successful. I agree that badmouthing the competition to your patients is never wise. Stand on your own merits, and prove to them that you are better in product, knowledge and skill. In the immortal words of Tony Little: "YOU CAN DO IT!" ;):cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thread Information