Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: marketing lingo explained?

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

marketing lingo explained?

Hey guys,

I've been researching eyewear before I blow ~$100 on a piece of plastic that goes over my eyes which supposedly 1) doesn't let UV-A,B,C through 2) polarizes light so, for example, snow won't be so bright 3) represents light as my eyes usually perceive it ("optically perfect"). The first two are pretty obvious (but are all of the lenses that polarize doing it the same way? They don't all seem to be the same color or transparency). My main question is how does one gauge or measure this "optical perfection" all of these companies are claiming. Naturally, I was looking at Oakley eyewear, and they seem to have made up a term without really defining it or (seemingly) allowing anyone to investigate it (as I could not find the term in any literature searches): Polaric Ellipsoid (they claim this gives them clearity closer to perfection than any other manufacturer). A couple of their other buzzwords are: Unobtainium, Earsock, Plutonite, XYZ Optics, O Matter, X Metal, Earstem, and Nosebomb. Are these just marketing techniques under the facade of science? How does someone without lots of time and lab resources get to the bottom of this ridiculous marketing? Which glasses are the most "optically perfect" and how can one determine this? Thanks.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Other eyecare related field doesn't mean consumer

This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation.
    Last edited by k12311997; 12-13-2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: highlighted text

Banned
    Occupation
    This is not a question pertaining to individual eye-care. This is a general human-eye/lens question. If you think another forum is better suited to these questions, then please move this thread.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by questions View Post
    This is not a question pertaining to individual eye-care. This is a general human-eye/lens question. If you think another forum is better suited to these questions, then please move this thread.
    1. I'm not a moderator so I can't move the thread.

2. You are not an eyecare professional and this is an optical topic. if you'd like to discuss politics, religion, music, your favorite color or any non optical topic come on over to the Just Conversation forum.

Banned
    Occupation
    It would be pretty difficult to determine who is actually an eyecare professional via this forum, so please step out from behind unnecessary credentialism and keep this thread on topic.

If you want to discuss qualifications go to the qualification forum. Oh right, there isn't one (that is basically what you told me).

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dude, didn't the fact that you had to choose "other eyecare-related field" as your career clue you into the fact that this isn't a board for John Q. Public?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Engineers. Pffft.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Kaenon

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Still....

Is Joe Q. Public actually getting wise to all of O's silly claims and special "names" for everyday stuff (that EVERYBODY else was doing years before...and doing better), outrageous claims, and silly marketing gimmicks? Allow me to bask in the glow of playing devil's advocate here for just a sec...:shiner:

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    "Naturally, I was looking at Oakley..."

Occupation
    Optometrist
    At least he was savvy enough to smell a marketing gimmick.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

What's a marketing gimmick?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

"Smelling" the marketing gimmick and then turning around and shopping Oakley, is an oxymoron.

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    What's a marketing gimmick?

It's the thing that makes you still want to buy something after you know better.

Double up on the claritin engineer dude :cheers:

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    I need you guys to come to my classes so I can teach you all what "marketing" truly is.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Actually the poster is already under the influence of Oakley's marketing...the poster wanted to turn to what in his mind is the best company with the best optics...he then "naturally" looks to Oakley...

Amazing, isn't it?

Banned
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    You guys are insane!

You:
    1) Banned me so that I could not read your replies that consisted of you all mocking me. (the reason was "argumentative consumer")
    2) Told me I could post about any topic except the one this forum is about (and this is the only optics forum with a reasonable population that I could find).
    3) Couldn't answer any of my questions.

I did not "naturally look at Oakley" because of one of your odd-ball implications. I looked at them primarily when researching these marketing claims of optical perfection obviously because they are making the biggest claims (read: not because I believed them).

Maybe one of you who isn't under peer pressure to treat me poorly could send me a PM with some answers to my questions.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I need you guys to come to my classes so I can teach you all what "marketing" truly is.
    Sure thing Geta...we see where it got you.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I banned him, now twice today. If y'all will quit responding, perhaps he'll go away.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Factual answers about Oakley claims are easily verifiable via the Oakley traveling van-based (biased?)lens demo test.

If you desire answers eslewhere than Oakley, you may find them "unobtanium"

"Fer sure..."

B

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ok, ok...I'll clear things up for you:

"UNOBTAINIUM": This term applies to finding any information on this forum, or about Oakley...similar to the quest for the holy grail.

"EARSOCK": The 2010 definition for ear muffs. They may hinder how the temples fit.

"PLUTONITE": The hardest frame material known to man.

"NOSE BOMB": What happens when you get your first progressives with a +2.50 add, and you going running out of the optical, and you try to step off of the curb.

"EAR STEM": 2010 version of "temple"

"O MATTER": The smallest particle that the human eye cab perceive with "XYZ optics" through only an Oakley lens after Luxottica bought the company.

"X METAL" The second hardest frame material known to man...only available at Pearle and Lenscrafters locations.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you want to buy a pair of shades, I'll answer all your questions in detail. Actually, I already told you where to look. Also,you can read this forum without a login. I don't mind helping someone out, even if you aren't in the optical business. Did you try posting this in the conversation forum as our rules dictate, instead of insisting on posting in the other subforums?

For general use I wear Costa Del Mar shades with glass polarized lenses, with a blue mirror. I have another pair with poly lenses for bike riding b/c of impact resistance.
    Last edited by KStraker; 12-14-2009 at 01:24 PM.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by questions View Post
    Polaric Ellipsoid, Unobtainium, Earsock, Plutonite, XYZ Optics, O Matter, X Metal, Earstem, and Nosebomb. Are these just marketing techniques under the facade of science?
    YES
    Quote Originally Posted by questions
    How does someone without lots of time and lab resources get to the bottom of this ridiculous marketing?
    IGNORE IT
    Quote Originally Posted by questions
    Which glasses are the most "optically perfect" and how can one determine this?
    irrelevant. why do you want perfect glasses? You either want comfort, style, protection, or all of these. Buy any leading brand that fits and get on with your life.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    I banned him, now twice today. If y'all will quit responding, perhaps he'll go away.

Obviously he didn't read the Forum Rules. So he changes his "profession" and gets ticked when we out him.
    All he has to do is actually GO to a reputable independent shop and he can get his answers there, but Noooooooooooo.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Would somebody please answer the poster's questions and quit with the BS complaints about who's supposed to be here?

To me, it seems that like Taco Bell, Coke, and most apparel, accessory and frame companies, there is as much if not more thought and resources put into the packaging, advertising, and marketing of products than into the product itself.
    "I'd rather not achieve immortality through my work, I'd rather achieve it by not dying" - Woody Allen

"From the sharks in the penthouse to the rats in the basement, it's not that far" -Kirsty McColl, "Walking Down Madison"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogo99 View Post
    Would somebody please answer the poster's questions and quit with the BS complaints about who's supposed to be here?
    I suggest that as a new member, you may want to review the posting guidelines....................and chill a bit!

This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation.

Thread Information