Thread: Dispensary Computer Programs ???

OptiBoard Professional skirk1975's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Angry Dispensary Computer Programs ???

What programs are out there today for the optical industry? Years ago I used to use EZ-Frames from Luxottica and loved it. What is the latest. I need to get something in the place I am working. Someone suggested QuickBooks but I refused because it is not tailored for the optical industry. Is EZ-Frames still out there and good. Any recommendations?

You know, something for inventory, RX's, Patient info, so on.....

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Optikam

The Optikam is great solution. I purchased it for my dispensary three years ago and I am happy to say it was the best single purchase I made over the past 20 years.

Occupation
    Don't dismiss Quicken, QuickBooks or Peachtree. You can easily configure them to manage a retail dispensary. Unlike most applications dedicated to the optical business you and your accountant will appreciate these well known and well supported applications.

E-Z Frames was originally Alpha-Bytes POS software and is no longer available to my knowledge. I was involved in the original DOS based application which was written in Turbo Pascal and was, as you say, a pretty decent application but today's users demand an event based system and not a procedural one.

Most of the developers of dedicated optical applications are small time short lived companies and do you really want to find yourself with an orphan application some time down the road?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You might want to review this OptiBoard thread:
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?p=284449

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Optical Shop Software

We have a program you might be interested in.

http://trackersystems.com/Products.html

Bill Belanger
    Tracker Systems

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Don't dismiss Quicken, QuickBooks or Peachtree. You can easily configure them to manage a retail dispensary. Unlike most applications dedicated to the optical business you and your accountant will appreciate these well known and well supported applications.

E-Z Frames was originally Alpha-Bytes POS software and is no longer available to my knowledge. I was involved in the original DOS based application which was written in Turbo Pascal and was, as you say, a pretty decent application but today's users demand an event based system and not a procedural one.

Most of the developers of dedicated optical applications are small time short lived companies and do you really want to find yourself with an orphan application some time down the road?
    E-Z Frame is still available at E-Z Frames. In fact, I just got a demo cd to try. Haven't had a chance yet though. I've also taken a look at My Vision Express , Optical Shop , and Filopto POS

They each have their pros and cons, so I would say try the demos and see what you think.

OptiBoard Professional skirk1975's Avatar
    Occupation
    Don't dismiss Quicken, QuickBooks or Peachtree. You can easily configure them to manage a retail dispensary

Why on earth would I want to have to "configure" a program when a tailor-made one is available?

I just got my EZ-Frame demo cd. Still made and probably still the best.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Goal (www.goalsoftware.com) good price
    Maximeyes / Parroteyes (EMR complient)
    Compulink
    Officemate (owned by VSP)

The link someone provided you earlier is for lab management software. That won't help you. I've never heard of EZ_Frame but, it sounds like only a frame management software. It sounds like you're looking for a practice management software that will manage your frames, and everything else too.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ezframe is now made by 1 st insinght

It is functional but is not great. I have been using it for years. Call me if you want more info.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I went with Myvisionexpress live Jan 2009, and it seems pretty stable and good. Insurance claims are paid in 14 days or less if clean!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you're looking for a program with a good interface between program and submission of orders to your lab, this is not it. I've used it. I was not impressed. The four previously mentioned programs (minus goal because it doesn't have the ability, yet, I think) all have a decent integration between software and lab submission more, and also Eyefinity/VSP submission.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    EZ Frame is an old, but I think reliable programme. I remember helping set it up for someone in 1997 if I can think back that far.

I think they are now owned by First Insight, who also owns Maximeyes, so they have a strong company behind them.

Look around at http://www.ehrcompare.com for other comparisons, where you get a lot of feedback from current users.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nice link Jim, thanks!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Don't dismiss Quicken, QuickBooks or Peachtree. You can easily configure them to manage a retail dispensary

Why on earth would I want to have to "configure" a program when a tailor-made one is available?"

In 10 years of looking at industry specific programs I have never found one that was what I wanted. They are either not fleshed out, visually confusing, or just too expensive. I'm using Quickbooks POS and very happpy. It handles the inventory, accounting, etc. and cost a fraction of what an industry specific program runs.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    "Don't dismiss Quicken, QuickBooks or Peachtree. You can easily configure them to manage a retail dispensary

Why on earth would I want to have to "configure" a program when a tailor-made one is available?"

In 10 years of looking at industry specific programs I have never found one that was what I wanted. They are either not fleshed out, visually confusing, or just too expensive. I'm using Quickbooks POS and very happpy. It handles the inventory, accounting, etc. and cost a fraction of what an industry specific program runs.
    Here here.

Thread Information