Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prog lens advice, I'm lost!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by klieg View Post
    Howdy optiboard!

I'm searching or some advice on a difficult fit.
    Here's the question... I need a lens that has comparable distance width to the unique, but can be tinted to a 10% brown and have A/R. I've used some Shamir lenses but am not experienced enough with them to comfortably order them without asking here.
    -Bryan
    First - the lens, (my guess) in the Lifestyle has a shorter fitting height than your Unique. I would also guess the add is above 1.75.

If that's the case, use the same design (Lifestyle) in a longer version. Alternatively, try the f-360 by Essilor :idea:

Cheers :)

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Not necessarily. I fit my own polarized PAL's a bit lower that usual. I spend a lot of time driving and since car seats recline just a tad, the lower seg is just more comfortable for me.
    This can lead to a reduced area for reading, why not use a lens that has a power profile that ramps up the add slowly in the start, tis would allow for less plue int eh distance area without the sacrifice.

When we fit lenses with fudge factors, the next person that sees this eyewear is going to assume that the opticians didn't know what they were doing and they wouldn't be wrong. We all know where to fit a PAL so there is no excuse.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by YrahG View Post
    When we fit lenses with fudge factors, the next person that sees this eyewear is going to assume that the opticians didn't know what they were doing and they wouldn't be wrong. We all know where to fit a PAL so there is no excuse.
    Seriously? My skills have served me well for 38 years. I'm certain I know what I'm doing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This can lead to a reduced area for reading, why not use a lens that has a power profile that ramps up the add slowly in the start, tis would allow for less plue int eh distance area without the sacrifice.

In New Zealand - the law requires that our client's end up with the effect of the written prescription in their spectacles. If we go outside of that sqare - we can lose our registration, be disciplined, etc.

I wouldn't start changing scripts without full discussion of the reasons for doing so with the prescribing optometrist. I do the basic transcription, when BVD or some other contributing fitting factor changes the effect of the prescription to the client.

Do any of the States in the USA or other places around the world allow a dispensing optician to alter a prescription?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarySue View Post
    In New Zealand - the law requires that our client's end up with the effect of the written prescription in their spectacles. If we go outside of that sqare - we can lose our registration, be disciplined, etc.

I wouldn't start changing scripts without full discussion of the reasons for doing so with the prescribing optometrist. I do the basic transcription, when BVD or some other contributing fitting factor changes the effect of the prescription to the client.

Do any of the States in the USA or other places around the world allow a dispensing optician to alter a prescription?

Not that I'm aware of, unless approved by the prescriber. I do not alter my rx, I simply fit the seg 1-2 mm lower to accomodate the slight recline in my car. It makes long distance driving much more comfortable for me. And as I fit my own eyewear, there's little chance that my Optician will assume that I don't know what I'm doing. :shiner:

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Only one pair of Suns? ;);)
    No, of course not! :) I have 5 pairs of suns. Two are make for wearing over my mono vision contacts and I can't read with them. I have one pair of distance only sunglasses and two pairs of progressive sunglasss. The one pair is older and while the distance is still good the reading isn't. So I only have one pair I can read well out of, my Drivewear.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have to admit that I too typically fit a polarized progressive about 2mm lower. I usually ASK the patient if they plan on sitting in the car reading, or on the beach reading, or any other place doing hours of reading in their sunglasses. :cheers:

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    To quote former President Carter "that all depends what the meaning of alter is." How about "altering" an Rx for vertex compensation or "altering" an add power to change a near working distance? How about disregarding the new Rx and altering it to the old successfully worn power that the customer was completely happy with?

Who in the USA runs around and enforces Rx's? We don't have glasses police . . . yet.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Instead of lowering the seg hgt, ask that no prism thinning be applied, and use a design with a longer corridor and harder distance zone.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bigeyejim View Post
    I have to admit that I too typically fit a polarized progressive about 2mm lower. I usually ASK the patient if they plan on sitting in the car reading, or on the beach reading, or any other place doing hours of reading in their sunglasses. :cheers:
    I ask, too. And for everything else my slightly lowered sunglasses are fine. But the first time I sat down outside with a book on a sunny day I realized that I had to tilt my head back a little to read and it wasn't very comfortable. It didn't take hours of reading to discover this, only about 5 minutes. :(

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Instead of lowering the seg hgt, ask that no prism thinning be applied, and use a design with a longer corridor and harder distance zone.
    Interesting concept YrahG -would you mind explaining why this works? It would seem that you're simply increasing the thickness by omitting the prism thinning. Also - why wouldn't you choose an individually designed lens over an older version?

Just trying to learn something new, not questioning your ability. Thanks

Bad address email on file D.J. Roff, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bigeyejim View Post
    A trick I also use is to put the patient into a short corridor for the sun pair -- even if they're wearing a normal corridor in the clear pair -- in order to maximize the crisp vision at infinity, for driving or just admiring the ocean. Again, with the patient's consent, of course.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wow

:drop:
    Quote Originally Posted by D.J. Roff, ABOM View Post
    A trick I also use is to put the patient into a short corridor for the sun pair -- even if they're wearing a normal corridor in the clear pair -- in order to maximize the crisp vision at infinity, for driving or just admiring the ocean. Again, with the patient's consent, of course.
    Are you serious? What type of add do you use and how hard is the design of the short corridor prog? Have you ever read the article by Darryl Meister: http://www.opticampus.com/cecourse.p...essive_lenses/ Optics of a progressive lens? I'm stunned that this works for you.

Bad address email on file D.J. Roff, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you serious? What type of add do you use and how hard is the design of the short corridor prog? Have you ever read the article by Darryl Meister: http://www.opticampus.com/cecourse.p...essive_lenses/ Optics of a progressive lens? I'm stunned that this works for you.
    It's not a trick I use every day... and it has to be a fairly adaptable patient to begin with. Just another tool in the toolbox, so to speak. ;)

It also works better if it's a near-match in lens design... for instance, a Definity in the clear pair and a Definity Short in the sun pair.

GREAT article, by the way... just what we'd expect from Darryl. Over a lot of people's heads, but I love that stuff.

Thread Information