Thread: Shwing: Do Canadian MDs Dispense?

Rising Star

Shwing:
    There has been a running discussion on U.S. MDs dispensing. When I was young, and Roosevelt was President (Teddy), I noticed all of the French Canadian girls on the beaches down here, and seriously considered moving to Canada. I KNOW that back then, Canadian MDs were prohibited from dispensing, unless they could prove that they were a great distance from an Optician, and then they had to sell the glasses at their cost. A similar law in the U.S. would be great. Is that still the policy in Canada?
    Also, thank you for the complimentary post about my MD daughter, but no, I wouldn't trade her for anything. I miss her like crazy. In fact, I'm going to bite the bullet and go to (ugg, shudder) TEXAS just to see her soon. Ain't no LAW out there, but I think that's only west of the Pecos.

------------------

"Come see me now, heah?"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question

Ehllo (Canadian for hello), Bob!

So your daughter is a Ob/ Gyn student in Texas...

There is a joke there, but, once again, I don't feel it should be posted to the 'Board....

As to your question, I am actually not sure. I know I should be up on this, but we simply have not the same issues as the lower 48 (and you are lower).

Opticianry is a regulated and protected profession in Canada. It has been a battle, and we continue to build seige engines (I prefer the catapult full of burning tar...)

I am not aware of any M.D.'s (in Alberta anyway) who have a dispensary. I do recall that Manitoba may have such, but don't quote me on it. I am only going off the top of my noggin, but there just aren't any that come to mind.

Remember that we have a subsidized health care system though. Up til '94, eye examinations through an M.D. OR an O.D. were paid for by the province every two years.

Currently, eye exams are paid for if under 19, or over 65 (or if you see an M.D. and tell him your eye hurts, but while you are at it, what is my spectacle refraction???)

We do have our own issues. O.D.s are ****** at opticianry for trying to get sight testing under our scope of practise. M.D.s are super ****** at O.D.s for getting TPA's approved.

Same same everywhere.

If you wish specifics on our battles (and Alberta leads the way), I recommend the Alberta Opticians Association: 800- 263- 6026 or e-mail: aoa@albertaopticians.org

Talk to Maureen, the Information Director and DemiGod (assuming you can get past Marie @ reception and the REAL power;-}

------------------
    Shwing;-}

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Bob, If you're going to decide to come to Texas to visit your daughter, I would suggest you wait out the heat, and San Antonio is humid to boot! should be OK in about.....October. Sure hope we get some rain soon, and I'm sure Darris, Chad and Jim S. out there in west Texas are hoping so also!

Rising Star

Originally posted by Al:
    Bob, If you're going to decide to come to Texas to visit your daughter, I would suggest you wait out the heat, and San Antonio is humid to boot! should be OK in about.....October. Sure hope we get some rain soon, and I'm sure Darris, Chad and Jim S. out there in west Texas are hoping so also!
    Thanks for the advice, Al. But as far as Darris, Chad and Jim S. wishing for rain is concerned, I wasn't aware that tumbleweed needed a whole lot of irrigation.

------------------

"Come see me now, heah?"

Thread Information