Thread: Happy Thansgiving OB!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Happy Thansgiving OB!!!

Hope you all have a wonderful holiday filled with good food, family and friends!
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jana Lewis View Post
    Hope you all have a wonderful holiday filled with good food, family and friends!

Thanksgiving? I thought that this was National Gluttony Day!
    :hammer::hammer::hammer:

but yeah, have a happy one!!!
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Ham....Turkey....Dressing....

MMmmmmmm...........! Don't forget to take out that little bag of goodies before you slide that bird in the oven! Have a swell Holiday, Chris. :bbg:
    Last edited by FVCCHRIS; 11-25-2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: comment

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Early *BIRD* Special!

Thank you and right back at you!

Be safe all and take time to really appreciate all that we have to be thankful for!

Like Optiboard!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Happy Thanksgiving to all of my American friends!

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    General Thanksgiving By the PRESIDENT of the United States Of America

A PROCLAMATION

WHEREAS it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favour; and Whereas both Houfes of Congress have, by their joint committee, requefted me "to recommend to the people of the United States a DAY OF PUBLICK THANSGIVING and PRAYER, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to eftablifh a form of government for their safety and happiness:"

NOW THEREFORE, I do recommend and affign THURSDAY, the TWENTY-SIXTH DAY of NOVEMBER next, to be devoted by the people of thefe States to the fervice of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our fincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the fignal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpofitions of His providence in the courfe and conclufion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have fince enjoyed;-- for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enable to eftablish Conftitutions of government for our fafety and happinefs, and particularly the national one now lately instituted;-- for the civil and religious liberty with which we are bleffed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffufing useful knowledge;-- and, in general, for all the great and various favours which He has been pleafed to confer upon us.

And also, that we may then unite in moft humbly offering our prayers and fupplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and befeech Him to pardon our national and other tranfgreffions;-- to enable us all, whether in publick or private ftations, to perform our feveral and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a bleffing to all the people by conftantly being a Government of wife, juft, and conftitutional laws, difcreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all fovereigns and nations (especially fuch as have shewn kindnefs unto us); and to blefs them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increafe of fcience among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind fuch a degree of temporal profperity as he alone knows to be beft.

GIVEN under my hand, at the city of New-York, the third day of October, in the year of our Lord, one thousand feven hundred and eighty-nine.

(signed) G. Washington
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thanksgiving.jpg  
    Last edited by rbaker; 11-25-2009 at 10:06 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

Dick! ^^^^^^^^......

I'll bet alot of politicians and lefty's have a real problem reading that.:)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Happy Turkey Day !!!

Bad address email on file sharonm516's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Wishing you all a wonderful Thanksgiving and a plentiful Holiday Season!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Gobble gobble

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Properly medicated for your protection.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My kitchen smells of pumpkin pie, apples, cinnamon, stuffing and a fresh pot of coffee. Life is good. Happy Thanksgiving my friends.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    I'll bet alot of politicians and lefty's have a real problem reading that.:)
    While Jefferson wasn't left-handed, he did manage to write with his left hand when he broke his right wrist. He was certainly a politician. Here's what he wrote to a certain Rev. Samuel Miller, who inquired as to why Jefferson had not proclaimed a Thanksgiving Day as had his immediate predecessors.

I have duly received your favor of the 18th and am thankful to you for having written it, because it is more agreeable to prevent than to refuse what I do not think myself authorized to comply with. I consider the government of the U S. as interdicted by the Constitution from intermeddling with religious institutions, their doctrines, discipline, or exercises. This results not only from the provision that no law shall be made respecting the establishment, or free exercise, of religion, but from that also which reserves to the states the powers not delegated to the U.S. Certainly no power to prescribe any religious exercise, or to assume authority in religious discipline, has been delegated to the general government. It must then rest with the states, as far as it can be in any human authority. But it is only proposed that I should recommend, not prescribe a day of fasting & prayer. That is, that I should indirectly assume to the U.S. an authority over religious exercises which the Constitution has directly precluded them from. It must be meant too that this recommendation is to carry some authority, and to be sanctioned by some penalty on those who disregard it; not indeed of fine and imprisonment, but of some degree of proscription perhaps in public opinion. And does the change in the nature of the penalty make the recommendation the less a law of conduct for those to whom it is directed? I do not believe it is for the interest of religion to invite the civil magistrate to direct it's exercises, it's discipline, or it's doctrines; nor of the religious societies that the general government should be invested with the power of effecting any uniformity of time or matter among them. Fasting & prayer are religious exercises. The enjoining them an act of discipline. Every religious society has a right to determine for itself the times for these exercises, & the objects proper for them, according to their own particular tenets; and this right can never be safer than in their own hands, where the constitution has deposited it.

I am aware that the practice of my predecessors may be quoted. But I have ever believed that the example of state executives led to the assumption of that authority by the general government, without due examination, which would have discovered that what might be a right in a state government, was a violation of that right when assumed by another. Be this as it may, every one must act according to the dictates of his own reason, & mine tells me that civil powers alone have been given to the President of the U S. and no authority to direct the religious exercises of his constituents.

I again express my satisfaction that you have been so good as to give me an opportunity of explaining myself in a private letter, in which I could give my reasons more in detail than might have been done in a public answer: and I pray you to accept the assurances of my high esteem & respect.

Thos. Jefferson
    January 23, 1808

Just FYI, a little Thanksgiving history:

The Continental Congress proclaimed a Thanksgiving holiday (December 18) in 1777, and Washington proclaimed a Thanksgiving day (Nov. 26th) in 1789. Adams did likewise in 1798 and 1799. Jefferson did not proclaim any such holiday, believing it to be an impermissible conflation of church and state. Madison proclaimed holidays in 1814 and 1815.

From 1816 to 1863, there was no federal Thanksgiving, but by the end of that period, most states had established the holiday.

Thanksgiving was established annually by presidential proclamation (frequently expressed as a "recommendation" by the president) from 1863 until 1941, when Congress established it as a recurring national holiday on the fourth Thursday in November.

Lincoln's proclamation in 1863 is generally regarded as establishing the national holiday, but it really only proclaimed it for that year. It did, however, establish a precedent followed by his successors, including Andrew Johnson (though in 1865, the holiday occurred in December). In the 1930's, FDR attempted to move the date back one week to enlarge the holiday shopping period, but Congress set the date, and firmly established the holiday by statute, in 1941.

Presidents continue to proclaim it, though the proclamation is now legally superfluous.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

Nice.....

That this holiday remains fairly free from any attack for being religion based. And that it can take on so many different forms in the types of food that are "highlighted". Yesterday at the market I saw a Philippino woman checking out with her turkey- and a bunch of fresh talapia fish! It got me thinking about how much I miss my former co-workers pot lucks with philippino food! Mmm... Maybe next year I'll try some new "things" for the feast. Happy Turkey Day everyone!!:cheers:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Happy.........................

Happy Thanksgiving weekend to all of you......

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    That this holiday remains fairly free from any attack for being religion based. And that it can take on so many different forms in the types of food that are "highlighted". Yesterday at the market I saw a Philippino woman checking out with her turkey- and a bunch of fresh talapia fish! It got me thinking about how much I miss my former co-workers pot lucks with philippino food! Mmm... Maybe next year I'll try some new "things" for the feast. Happy Turkey Day everyone!!:cheers:
    HA! my mother has been trying to change the thanksgiving menu for our family for years. we shoot her down on that every time. ;)
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticianbart View Post
    HA! my mother has been trying to change the thanksgiving menu for our family for years. we shoot her down on that every time. ;)

Here is a thought. Invite the family to your place for thanksgiving and you can cook what ever you want.:cheers:

Thread Information