10 Pence Short said:
Running a Dell Inspiron with 1 Gig pentium and 256 MB RAM using the built in 56K modem.

It runs on Windows XP which gives you a small dialog next to the little connected icon when you connect telling you the connection speed- it ranges from 37.5 to 40kb, I'm assuming this is down load rather than upload speed!! Not sure how accurate it is.

How is the US for broadband- the UK is a goddam shambles because British Telecom have monopoly on exchange hardware and are charging the earth for third party suppliers to access their network. This is facilitating the biggest technological farce in the history of telecommunications.

If BT were a small country we would have invaded, killed it's leader and imposed our religion on it by now. Twice.
The connection icon in windows Xp is pretty accurate to the best of my knowledge(at least for me it is anyway). As far as broadband in the US.........it varies. I could not be happier with mine.But i know of some who claim they are not that impressed by it.It has to do with the amount of subscribers in a area......as they all share the same bandwidth at the same time.