Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Test Your Connection Speed Here !

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    10 Pence Short said:
    Running a Dell Inspiron with 1 Gig pentium and 256 MB RAM using the built in 56K modem.

It runs on Windows XP which gives you a small dialog next to the little connected icon when you connect telling you the connection speed- it ranges from 37.5 to 40kb, I'm assuming this is down load rather than upload speed!! Not sure how accurate it is.

How is the US for broadband- the UK is a goddam shambles because British Telecom have monopoly on exchange hardware and are charging the earth for third party suppliers to access their network. This is facilitating the biggest technological farce in the history of telecommunications.

If BT were a small country we would have invaded, killed it's leader and imposed our religion on it by now. Twice.
    The connection icon in windows Xp is pretty accurate to the best of my knowledge(at least for me it is anyway). As far as broadband in the US.........it varies. I could not be happier with mine.But i know of some who claim they are not that impressed by it.It has to do with the amount of subscribers in a area......as they all share the same bandwidth at the same time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Just Wondering............?

Does any one else want to give this a try?

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    the UK is a goddam shambles because British Telecom have monopoly on exchange hardware and are charging the earth for third party suppliers to access their network.
    10p, I have adsl and only pay £22.50 a month..:bbg: Which is only £7.50 more than i was paying for 56k dialup..I can tell you its well worth the extra....
    I get approx 50k downloads and p2p is great i get a cd worth of music in double quick time far better than 56k....

Occupation

Re: Just Wondering............?

Sean said:
    Does any one else want to give this a try?
    2002-05-19 10:41:31 EST: 364 / 227
    Your download speed : 364016 bps, or 364 kbps.
    A 44.4 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 227272 bps, or 227 kbps
    Not bad considering i'm uploading via p2p as well...And its a sunday afternoon on a very busy network still waiting for Bt to install the new pipe.......

Bad address email on file 10 Pence Short's Avatar
    'fraid we're up in t'hills, our exchange hasn't been 'adsl'd' yet and we would probably be too far downstream to get it anyway.

Does anybody know anything about satallite based access yet?

Occupation
    10 Pence Short said:
    Have a look at the Bt site as they were trialing a new system ...Try this link

Thanks for that, John.

It's a shame they don't intend to match ADSL and Cable speeds as standard. Oh well, that's economics for you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    10 Pence Short said:
    'fraid we're up in t'hills, our exchange hasn't been 'adsl'd' yet and we would probably be too far downstream to get it anyway.

From what i understand the download speed of a satallite connection rivals the speed of a cable modem. But their seems to be some draw backs. The starting monthly fee is higher and your usage is a set amount of time.If you want or need more time the price goes up

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Re: Just Wondering............?

John R said:

Not bad considering i'm uploading via p2p as well...And its a sunday afternoon on a very busy network still waiting for Bt to install the new pipe.......
    JohnR,
    Although im not sure if i asked you this in the past but............is it a set fee for a certain speed? Or does the provider charge you more for a faster bandwidth if you choose to do so?

Occupation

Wave Re: Re: Re: Just Wondering............?

Sean said:
    is it a set fee for a certain speed? Or does the provider charge you more for a faster bandwidth if you choose to do so?
    The standard speed in the Uk is 512 down and 256 up on a contention ratio of 50 - 1, which is approx £25.00 a month (Depends on isp) For 512 i pay £22.50 if i wanted a contention ratio of 20 - 1 then it would be £60.00... If i wanted 1024 down its £95.00 and for 2048 its a massive £140.00 a month all are with upload speed of 256.
    There are cable providers but i don't know there costs but the fastest speed wise is 1 meg..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

JohnR,
    Thanks for the info. Seems that it is done the same way on this side of the pond as well.At least you can select the speed that you want to connect at.I have a cable modem.......and although that's nothing to shake a stick at....everyone shares the same bandwith.....which can really get bogged down during peak usage.As of yet ADSL in not in my area.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile I finally took the plunge

Just purchased a Dell Dimension 4400. It has a 1.7 GHZ processor Pentium 4 and 256 M Ram. Connected to Cable it flies. Great machine! First venture into XP. Seems like they are trying to take away our freedom of manipulation.

:bbg: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Jerry,
    Congrats on the new toy!:D What is your your initial thought on XP?.

P.S. How does it feel to know you will never be able to stand using a 56k modem again?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The system is great. I have never used a Mac but I have a feeling that XP is like a MAC operating system. It's always a challenge diging around in a new system to find out the tricks.

:cheers: Jerry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Jerry,
    I'am happy to report to you that there's going to be alot of diging.Enjoy :bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Sean

I'm getting 2019 down and 353 up with this system on road runner. Pretty cool.

:D :bbg: Jerry

After some pretty frustrating problems initially, I've managed to get XP Pro running like a gem, for the timebeing.

At least when an app. locks up in XP it lets you sort the program out without resorting to the old shut down > scandisk > 30 more seconds > bored stiff > throw PC out of window > personal injury case against person hit by computer flying out of window > bankruptcy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Sean

MVEYES said:
    I'm getting 2019 down and 353 up with this system on road runner. Pretty cool.

:D :bbg: Jerry
    Wow! That's great.....I just hope you are wearing a seatbelt and that badboy comes with a airbag! :cheers: :cheers: :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Sean

I ordered a SB4100 broadband modem (which is like the one road runner furnished) and it will not connect. All the lights are on and it acts like it is hooked up but there is no connection. I called Road Runner tech support and they said that only the equipment they provide was recognizable by their system. Any thoughts? I was going to use it on my old system downstairs I put in the spare bedroom.

:cheers: "Mario Andretti" Jerry

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Download is 640 Kbps/ Upload is 55 Kbps ; any idea why upload is so slow?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Upload speeds are usually slower because they're capped by the ISP.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Sean

MVEYES said:
    I ordered a SB4100 broadband modem (which is like the one road runner furnished) and it will not connect. All the lights are on and it acts like it is hooked up but there is no connection. I called Road Runner tech support and they said that only the equipment they provide was recognizable by their system. Any thoughts? I was going to use it on my old system downstairs I put in the spare bedroom.

:cheers: "Mario Andretti" Jerry
    Hmmmm....sounds like who ever you were talking to was thumbing through the "Help Me Figure This Out" manual during the conversation.More than likely their service is looking for the correct IP and/or Adapter address to identify the modem and that new "PodRacer" you have :D This is pretty much a standard practice among broadband company's.It helps eliminate subscribers who try to hook up multiple pc's to their one connection.SOooooooo to the best of my knowledge the only way to get around this is to purchase a Cable/DSL Router.You will still use the original modem that came with the service....only you will plug the modem into the router........and then plug the router to your pc.Most routers have a program that will allow you to "clone"(no pun intended)your IP/Adapter address.Sometimes this can also be referred to as a MAC address as well.Also routers will come with a different number of ports.......2,4,6,8 etc.Use this to determine how many pc's you want to connect. Now the bad news....Not a single one of the broadband companies support or encourage this at all.So you will get no help from them what's so ever.In fact your best off not to call them(that will only tip them off as to what you are trying to do):finger:Hope this helped somewhat or at least pointed you in the right direction.:cheers:

Occupation
    Jerry try this Forum/Site They might be able to help you out....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Jerry,
    Give this router site a try. See what you think.

http://www.linksys.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Thanks Sean and John

That info will help. The funny thing is that the service techs from Time Warner that installed the initial cable and modem hook up told me I could put as many computers on the system that I wanted. I was only limited to one e-mail address. If I wanted more e-mail addresses it would cost me more. Didn't know I was taking advantage of Time Warner.

:cheers: Jerry

Thread Information