Thread: Help with the Practical exam in Albany, NY

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Help with the Practical exam in Albany, NY

Hi, I am an optician in training and I am about to be ready to take the state licensure exam fot ophthalmic dispensing in New York. I would like to know how do I find out how the test is and how should I prepare for it. Is there like a review / preparation class I can take or a web site I can go to that will tell me what to expect from the test in Albany, NY? I went to school with the progression career program home course but they don't tell you anything about the practical licensure exam. They basically prepare you for the ABO which I just took last week, still waiting for the results...

I will appreciatte any help.
    Thank You

Bruna

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pratical exams tend to be easier (atleast in my opinion) than written exams. I don't know exactly how yours will play out, but mine was in three stages. The first was neutralization. We had a selection of lenses both edged and uncut that we had to find the script, pd, segs, lens type etc etc within a set ammount of time. The second was adjustments. That was in two parts. The first was actually fitting a person. Had to do two frames, one sv, one progressive. The second part was trouble-shooting. They took a frame out of alignment and you had to put it back into bench. Explaining why you were doing what you were doing. The last section was on general knowledge. They asked us some questions from a patient's point of view, like "Which of these two frames fit me better, and why?" "What is the benifit of AR for me?" things like that.

I found my pratical very easy. It was things I had been doing every day for over a year... which is kind of the point of a pratical. Make sure you can actually do your job! Good luck.:D

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    i am in the same boat.i passed my abo without a problem but when it comes to the pratical im not sure what i should be studying.

Thread Information