Thread: A "BURNING" question. . .

Blue Jumper

I work for a large discount optical chain, which recently received notice from LUXOTTICA (now proud owners of RAYBAN) that they will no longer sell their "superior" product to anyone other than specialty optical shops and independent OD's. OK, Help me out here.Imwondering where they are headed with this strategy ? all I can see ahead is inflated costs, and harder to find product.I have dealt with rayban sunwear for many years. there are many other companies that stand with or surpass the quality & customer service that B&L had to offer. Has anyone been affected by this crazy decision ? even if I still owned my shop,I would be wondering "WHY" ??

Bad address email on file

Confused

I recently purchased a Ray-Ban Suncenter. Shortly there after my rep quit and I was stuck with 50 some frames. I showed them my appreciation by sending them all back and taking on Marchon's new Nike line and Safilo's Carrera. Both are very nice and priced about the same.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How many other people bought the Sun Center and found that they have a lot of expensive shades that they can't move. Probably due to the Luxottica manditory retail price?

Weigh in on this one.

Chip (one of them sucker's) Anderson

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I try to keep the very latest sunwear on my board and with so much sunglass competition. a lot of it sits there collecting dust. For the RayBan issue...I do not like the Luxottica ownership because the prices are higher and the product the same so far. I know more styles are coming. I am ticked off because I did a lot with the ophthalmic line and when Lux bought RayBan, despite their claims, they DID also get the ophthalmic styles but decided not to sell them so I sorely need some parts but am unable to get them. Their just sitting in the warehouse or dumped in some other country. Oh well just venting.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Luxottica seems to be shooting themselv'es in the foot again with this one.

Well on the positive side of it all:

If fewer folks are selling Luxottica products then when X crafters advertizes they will beat anyone elses prices on the same frame, they must mean the other X crafters store.

As the situation unfolds and more rapid change is recognized, you can easily observe that they are becoming reactive in trying to resolve the problems which they created in the wholesale and retail marketplaces.

It should become very interesting soon.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

Yes indeed, have you seen their most recent adds? "get your eyes examined by the Doctors at Lenscrafters OR someone else, just get them examined." Interesting...Makes it sound like a Public Service announcement.

Okay, I can tell that a lot of people are p.o.'d over this decision, " how 'bout we just ban Ray-ban" ?

Rising Star

Originally posted by new_eyeguy_01:
    Okay, I can tell that a lot of people are p.o.'d over this decision, " how 'bout we just ban Ray-ban" ?
    I did. Over a year ago. As soon as I heard that Lux had taken them over. I marked all of my Ray-Bans down to my cost. And I gave the rest away to all the local cops that come into my place. All I asked of the cops was that they give me a little "diplomatic immunity"(they do anyhow) and that they make sure that our local LuxOttica rep has a "safe trip" when he's in our county. And since Lux is holding up the distribution of the RX line, now when people come in and want me to put an RX in a Ray-Ban, I look at it with disgust and say, "oh, you really can't put an RX in a frame like THAT. That's strictly MALL stuff, not intended for RXs." They get the point. Then I direct them to my Nautica Planos, show them how much better polarized lenses work, and end up selling them a new frame AND a set of polarized RX lenses. And I used to sell NOTHING but Ray-Bans, and a few AOs.

------------------

Blue Jumper

Wow! I guess there's some people who ARE kind of unhappy about the Luxottica/bausch & lomb deal. Let's face it, they're cuttin their own throats by some of the insane decisions being made.It will be interesting to see the news publications that ocassionally list retail sales of popular sunwear.Thanks for your replies!

Thread Information