Thread: All of this because of either a typo, or a poor choice of terms

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

All of this because of either a typo, or a poor choice of terms

And because of a bad economy do we compromise our professional standards for a job? Does food on the table beat sleep on the pillow, I don't think so. I'd rather do a an honest profeesional job for my patients than to compromise my ethics for a pay check.:angry:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Really? I'd rather that my family be fed and housed. Your employer does not determine your professionalism. You do. This is not the forum for this discussion. Perhaps you should pony up and join us on the Eyecare Professionals forum to further discuss your issues.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Thank you, Judy :D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A job is a job is a job. Ya gotta eat. Now what I want to know is how an "Optical Department" is a "non optical environment"?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Not all jobs

com'on folks! we all draw a line in the sand someplace. Not all of us will do anything for a buck. We all want to work, and we all want to feed and house our families but I would venture to say that not all of us would commit a crime or walk the streets for it. We want honest, professional work where we can ply our profession in a way that makes us professionals. Non-Optical optical!!!!!! What is that?

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

All of this because of either a typo, or a poor choice of terms

What appears above, is a discussion in response to a post in the "Jobs" forum, in which the job offered said something to the effect of being able to practice in a Non Optical environment. A few nit pickers took issue with that and the thread became what you will see. This discussion had no place in the employment forum. Apparently the message sent by the moderators was not understood by at least one participant. We thought it appropriate to move the posts so anyone who wanted could participate, and the job forum could resume it's valuable function without distraction.

If what follows below is confusing, I apologize but it is what it is!
    Please note this is the first time I have split a thread and it may not come out as planned!:D

PS it didn't, this post was to appear at the top!
    Last edited by hcjilson; 11-10-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: PS
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by artex View Post
    com'on folks! we all draw a line in the sand someplace. Not all of us will do anything for a buck. We all want to work, and we all want to feed and house our families but I would venture to say that not all of us would commit a crime or walk the streets for it. We want honest, professional work where we can ply our profession in a way that makes us professionals. Non-Optical optical!!!!!! What is that?
    My daughter used to live in Utica. She moved there when she was 19 because our town sucked the worst of any town in the US, according to her. When we first arrived in Utica, we stopped at a gas station near the old silverware plant and she asked a couple of teens sitting there for directions to her apartment she had rented.(not in a good section of town in the east). The teens looked at her and exclaimed, "What in the world are you doing moving here? This is the suckiest place on earth!"
    It's all relative, I guess.:D

I fail to see why people are getting so upset about that post, most big box stores are the definition of a non-optical optical.:hammer:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    A job is a job is a job. Ya gotta eat. Now what I want to know is how an "Optical Department" is a "non optical environment"?
    I disagree with the statement that a job is a job. Find one you really hate, and you will see what I mean. Find one you love, and you will wonder how you tolerated the previous one.

As to a "non-optical" environment, I can envision what the OP means, just not in that setting. My office would fit my definition of that, no white coats, no suits, no jammies or any type of uniform. Shorts and polo's for me, and a very casual setting, not a sterile one. I take it to be as much of an "attitude" as well, which is somewhat hard to explain, but you can take a lesson from the "job" you love.:)

Physical surroundings do play a part in this, and that is why I can't really see this happening in that location, but I could be wrong.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If you call your self a professional then act like one if you know the glasses are not correct then dont dispense them. If you wear a white coat or a jean jacket to work does not matter .what does matter is you and your ethics. You would be ****** to no end if another "optician" gave your mother a pair of glasses that were wrong so please dont find yourself doing the same. Money is always hard to come by and we as a profession need to always do right by our customers wether we work for the best optical practice in the state or the "box store" its not where you work but "you" alone that makes the difference.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Adam, if you read Ms Canty carefully..............

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Really? I'd rather that my family be fed and housed. Your employer does not determine your professionalism. You do.
    Adam, if you read Ms Canty carefully I think you will find that's exactly what she said.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Thread Information