Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you say to a customer when

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What would you say to a customer when

The online bisuness is getting popular. I don't know how they manage to sell so cheap. I have never seen their product.

If you have or if you know what they are selling, what would you say to a customer when they say:

- why are your glasses so expensive - I can get complete glasses online for $25-50?

or

- what are your glasses better than those, sold online?

Bad address email on file AprilHeadOptician's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First you never know what you are going to get on line. Another thing you should say is we will have better quality and if you ever have any problems you can always come back and you will receive quick and EASY service. "You get what you pay for."

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by ekolar2 View Post
    The online bisuness is getting popular. I don't know how they manage to sell so cheap. I have never seen their product.

If you have or if you know what they are selling, what would you say to a customer when they say:

- why are your glasses so expensive - I can get complete glasses online for $25-50?

or

- what are your glasses better than those, sold online?
    "We have the proper equipment to take accurate measurements that are required to properly make and fit your lenses to your individual anatomy and lense system " then show them the puillometer and vertometer etc and ask them how they are going to do that on line accurately by themselves or with the help of an inexperienced freind with no equipment.

You should make up something on paper and hand it to them .

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Funny, I JUST had a lady call and was price-shopping us, comparing to online, pretty much told her if her vision was that unimportant to her then maybe she should save her money and buy online. She didn't like that too much.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

the problem is only beginning

I agree, it is annoying when customers ask why its cheaper online. My simple answer is that in a recent study nearly 60% of all eyewear sold online is fake or incorrectly made.

The big problem down the road will be when companies like lux and safilo will sell directly to the consumer online and customers will be able to go into a lenscrafters and have the measurements done for free. Actually, this is a part of what they have been working on for a little while. Tough to dispute the authenticity of a frame when it is sold directly from the manufacturer online. Patient files will also be created online with the manufacturers so customers can re-order in the future.

The cheap and stupid will be attracted to this type of retail, but unfortunately, I depend on them also to make a living.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opti-refractonator View Post
    My simple answer is that in a recent study nearly 60% of all eyewear sold online is fake or incorrectly made.
    Can you tell us more about this study?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Finney View Post
    Funny, I JUST had a lady call and was price-shopping us, comparing to online, pretty much told her if her vision was that unimportant to her then maybe she should save her money and buy online. She didn't like that too much.
    I tell them that they can also go to Goodwill and they often have a basket of used glasses for sale. They are cheap, and they can try them on right there, w/out having to keep sending them back until they get something they can see out of.

If they are in the office, I'll walk them over to the Lions Club container and invite them to rummage through there as well...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I tell them that they can also go to Goodwill and they often have a basket of used glasses for sale. They are cheap, and they can try them on right there, w/out having to keep sending them back until they get something they can see out of.

If they are in the office, I'll walk them over to the Lions Club container and invite them to rummage through there as well...
    :cheers: NICE!!!:cheers:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Recent study

Yes the information comes from a recent study (May 2009) done by an online research group based in the states that tracks online sales. Just make it sound convincing.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is it an actual study? "Make it sound convincing" sounds kinda sketchy. Do you have any links, or even the name of the study so we can see the real numbers?

Bad address email on file Mr.Goggle's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Are they going to repair/adjust them online also? You expect me to work on the crap you buy online? If there is a problem, hope you can find someone who cares.

Yes that one bothers me also. Take notice, it will only be the Single vision people who even have a chance of being satisified.

Nice Johns. You mind if I use that?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    Is it an actual study? "Make it sound convincing" sounds kinda sketchy. Do you have any links, or even the name of the study so we can see the real numbers?
    Yes, that.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I speak about my own experience and show them what I bought online as well as some of my friends. They were generous enough to give me their eyeglasses after 3 to 6 months, rather that put them in the trash

Nothing is better than real life.
    Let people see by themselves, not just make a guess (and a try) on these craps.

I also take the opportunnity to explain how glasses are made, standards and so on and demonstrate how some are horribly made regarding these standards and the effect on their vision. And many other things...

It takes some time, but usually leads to a sale or at least increases the understanding.
    I'm a very strong believer in education.

I'll be back with the results, very funny.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't wait to use that one!!!
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Study

I am referring to a fake study. One that i just made up. Also like the one that i am about to make up again.

In a recent test done by the EPA on lead levels in some of the frames sold online were surprising. Most of the frames sold online, especially the cheap frames, contained upto 30 % more toxic lead mixed into the metal than is safe to wear. You wouldn't want to get sick from wearing cheap glasses, would you?

When you work with the public long enough, its fun to see the ridiculous stuff you can convince other people of, i.e carrots are good for your eyes!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When you work with the public long enough, its fun to see the ridiculous stuff you can convince other people of, i.e carrots are good for your eyes!
    They're not?!?

:D:bbg::D

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    There's two facts for independant opticians to consider:

1. Not everyone will ever purchase online, however the percentages that do will be quite high.
    2. In order to survive the long term, independants will have to battle internet sales, OD groups and retail chains.
    I have a solution and hope to share shortly.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am referring to a fake study. One that i just made up. Also like the one that i am about to make up again.

In a recent test done by the EPA on lead levels in some of the frames sold online were surprising. Most of the frames sold online, especially the cheap frames, contained upto 30 % more toxic lead mixed into the metal than is safe to wear. You wouldn't want to get sick from wearing cheap glasses, would you?

So that's it...you just lie?

No thanks...I think I'd rather sell pizzas.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The sky is falling!

The sky is falling!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are we on page two yet?

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So that's it...you just lie?

No thanks...I think I'd rather sell pizzas.
    No, we shouldn't lie. Just take a chapter out of the anti-optician-refraction handbook (believe me, there is an actual book).

We just have to repeat: "Not only will a significant portion of the population be walking around with reduced visual acuity, in many instances, customers will believe they have actually had a comprehensive eye exam after buying glasses online."
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Would this Web site Help?

www.licensedoptician.ca

On the site, amongst other reinforcing information, I found an IPSOS Reid poll of the Canadian public that might help form our replies. Not all of it is complimentary but it does give an insight into the public perspective and the positive roll and perception of opticians.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I like the attempt of identifying and clarifying the role of an optician. But, other than that, it's completely ineffective. That's what our associations should be doing - raising public awareness and perception.

So, what the heck happened???

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I tell them the glasses online are made in third world countries by children :) You know...Like Nikes hahaha
    Seriously...I take them to my ABO and tell them that the standards I have to meet are not met by the unqualified people at the massive factory setting where the glasses are produced.

OptiBoard Professional Michael I. Davis's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    When it comes to buying eyeglasses online, according to a recent study by the American Optometric Association. Conducted in 2014 with the Optical Laboratories Association and The Vision Council, the study discovered an alarming rate of problems with prescription compliance and impact resistance. Nearly half of the eyeglasses (44.8 percent) had incorrect prescriptions or safety issues.

Researchers had 10 individuals order two pairs of glasses, including pairs for both adults and children, from each of 10 of the most popular online optical vendors. In all 200 pairs were ordered, with frame styles chosen in the midrange options for each vendor, in varying frame materials, lens styles and prescriptions.

Only 154 pairs of the orders were received. The study then analyzed lenses, including measurement of sphere power, cylinder power and axis, add power (if specified), separation of distance of optical centers and center thickness.

Several pairs were delivered incorrectly such as single vision instead of bifocals or lens treatments were added or omitted. Nearly three out of 10 (29 percent) pairs had at least one lens that failed to meet the required prescription, a problem typically found and corrected when ordered through and delivered by an optometrist. Nearly one-fourth (23 percent) of the lenses failed impact resistance testing, which highlights a major safety issue. Children's glasses performed even worse, with 29 percent failing impact testing.

Thread Information