Thread: year's supply of cl's

Bad address email on file melvilletim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

year's supply of cl's

In your office, how many of you offer any kind of discount to help pt's buy a year's supply of contact lenses? So many of our pt's buy 3 or 6 months worth. Even with the offer of free shipping. Our office manager is thinking of maybe a 10% discount.

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We offer a $20 discount on an annual supply. This is on top of any insurance benefits and/or rebates that apply.

It's not much, but every little bit helps.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do $25.00 off on a years supply.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We offer 10% on a year supply along with the MFG. rebate that comes with most brands, If you don't mind, I'd like to add, Does anyone give the MFG. rebate if ther Putting the year supply on VSP Insurance? we have been giving them because they come from the MFG. for a year supply.

Thanks Ginny:)

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do 10% on most of them. I always offer a years supply and mention the discount and rebates at the time. If you offer a 3 or 6 month supply that's what people will want.

I will say something like " after your insurance a years supply of your contacts will be XXX. That includes a 10% discount on what the insurance doesn't cover. There is also a rebate you can send in when you buy a years supply. With the rebate the years supply will be only XXX. We have them in stock." Or if we don't I say "We don't have them in stock but we can order them and you can pick them up here or we can have them sent directly to your house for no extra charge."

It works most of the time. If they only want a 3 or 6 month supply they will tell me.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We don't offer a discount but we do match 1800Contacts price. That is with whatever rebates the manufacturers are offering.

And yes, we offer the rebates even with VSP.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We don't discount the annual supply but we heavily promote manufacturer rebates.
    -Steve

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we do 10% off and also give a discount towards plano sun, or glasses. along with any man. rebates

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A woman was checking out yesterday and the other optician asked her how many boxes she wanted. She said just two. I was also sitting at the front desk and reached in the drawer and pulled out the rebate information. I asked her if she had ever sent one in before and she hadn't. I showed her the rebate worth $130.00 for 8 boxes and she ordered 8 boxes.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It is all in HOW you say, what you say!

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    A woman was checking out yesterday and the other optician asked her how many boxes she wanted. She said just two. I was also sitting at the front desk and reached in the drawer and pulled out the rebate information. I asked her if she had ever sent one in before and she hadn't. I showed her the rebate worth $130.00 for 8 boxes and she ordered 8 boxes.
    I think that statement says a lot!!! If we step back and analyze some of our statements, questions, sales speak, etc. we will see many examples like this.

I might suggest asking:

"How would you like to pay for the contact supply, cash, or cash?"

You can then dazzle them with your concern for their wallets by producing one of the gazillion bogus rebate scam forms and send them on their way!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's one of those things that should be offered to every patient, because it's the best deal for them, and for you. The vast majority of patients will order a year's supply if they can afford to do so once you offer it. Those rebates help defray the cost of what they'd be paying anyway over the course of the year, and if the CLs are not in stock they can be sent to the pt's home at no extra charge (which eliminates the convenience factor of ordering online for delivery.)

We used to have 10% off six months or a year, then for a while it was just mail-in rebats with a year's supply. Then it went to instant rebates from most vendors . When that started they'd receive the full rebate as an instant discount for a year, and half the rebate for six months. Now it's back to instant rebates just on a year.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you want to sweeten the deal, obtain some inexpensive plano suns that you can throw in with the rebate and you can usually win them over without the discount (but at the cost of the suns). A&A has some great suns that range in style, are surely better than 10 bucks at Wally World, and price around what your 10% discount would have been.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We don't make a big enough profit on cls anyway to offer an additional discount. Our prices are in line with 800CTS and we do bring out the rebates which help sell the year's supply. Basically we always say "You want the year's supply and the rebate right?" nine times out of ten they say "Yes". If you ask them how many boxes they want they will always say "Two". And yes we offer the rebate to everyone regardless of their insurance unless their co-pay is less than the rebate of course which is almost never.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Don't sell them anymore

I have no more hassle and whinning about contacts in my office. I QUIT SELLING THEM. ONLY LOWERS YOUR PROFIT MARGIN. I'M HAPPY:bbg:

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The rest of the story

Man, I did'nt realize just how much fun Optical could be. HASSEL FREE AND GROWING FAST.
    eyeglasssupermart.com take a look on Goggle
    Last edited by Bill West; 06-10-2010 at 07:45 AM.

Thread Information