Thread: Malpractice Insureance

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Malpractice Insureance

I am losing my malpractice insureance. I think that I am only one of two independent optician/contact lens fitters who even bothered to carry malpractice insureance. The other works for the state a teaching hospital so he has little to be concerned about. The reason that I and many physicains in the state are losing our malpractice is that most carriers of same are refusing to write malpractice in Mississippi. Why, because lawyers have learned that we have no limits on judgements and if cases are tried in the least educated of our counties, corporations and insureance companies are viewed as fat cats who have an infinite supply of money and therefore should be taught a lesson. What the lesson is other than don't get sued in Mississippi I don't know.

Does any one or any of our associations have any information on where we can obtain malpractice that is near affordable?

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Chip

We pay about $550 a year for $3,000,000 in liability insurance. I think location is critical for the rate you pay.

Jerry

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip,

According to the NAO website, they have liability plans for members only.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Chip,

I get bummed out every year when I have to write out my check. My insurer calls it PLI (professional liability insurance). Not sure if it is the same as malpractice but the nursing homes which I service require I have it before walking through their doors.

The most depressing thing is that it is something you will never recognize a tangible benefit from; unlike automobile insurance which provides an economic benefit to replace or repair your vehicle.

I don't think you will have a problem getting PLI as long as you are licensed and/or certified to exhibit competency. Although good Ole Pennsylvania doesn't require a license to practice opticianry, my insurer requires me to prove I am up to date with my ABO certification.

Kevin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Exclamation We talk about Big Brother watching

Are we sure that Big Brother is the Federal government? Maybe it's the insurance industry.

:shiner: Jerry

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Big Business, Big Government, Big Brother - same difference!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier Malpractice

If the insurance industry classifies us with a liability insurance in our acts of practicing optical dispensing, aren't they recognizing us of being professionals who have a practice?

Jerry

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for all your help, I seem to have got in under the wire for this year. But of course I must find someone before a year from now.

Chip

Bad address email on file
    I have no reservations on having professional liability coverage. It is included in my homeowners policy, an umbrella policy, it is called. Even though I haven't had an accident in years, I wouldn't even think about driving without it. As for our professional end, opticians have managed to escape being sued left and right. I do know of one person who had to prove his competence in a court of law...He was judged fairly and didn't have to pay, except for the lawyers fee, but did not have any liability coverage. He does now. My point being that as professionals we need to protect ourselfs, because of such a litigatious society we live in. And overall I feel we have escaped the barrage so far, its coming. There is, in my opinion, less qualified individuals working in our ranks. And not necessarily any fault of their own...but hey a job is a job? The training is universally not there, even though some of the larger chains have some semblance of a program. So to sum up my long rant, I definitely feel professional liability insurance is a must. I do dispense in a licensed state, and very confident in my skills and knowledge....but anything will and can happen.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Mud Slide

You hit the nail on the head. The horror stories are those less prepared (lacking the education). But after all aren't they cheaper to hire? I hope some of you who hire non certified people off the street think twice before litigation hits you because you are ultimately responsible for their action.

Jerry

Thread Information