Thread: Slab-off's

OptiBoard Professional Mike Fretto's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

We had an order come down from the dispensary today asking for a slab-off. The problem I see is the last time we did one for this patient was the first they had ever worn one and we used a reverse slab O.S. Now they decide to sell Spectralite, here's my question. Is it O.K. to switch eyes on the slab seeing how I dont think Sola makes a reverse slab in Spectralite?

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

I believe the patient should perceive the same effect regardless of which type of slab off is employed. After all, prism prescribed for phorias/tropias can be split between lenses without ill effect... The important thing being the total amount of prism, not the placement or distribution.

Pete

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Funny you should ask. I just dispensed that specific issue last week. I had a patient with a habitual 3D reverse slab. The patient wanted a new pr. of clear glasses and a pr. of polarized lenses (both FT28) which can only be made with a regular slab. We did the clear pr. first and no problem, he didn't see the difference other than the clarity of his new Rx. We're running the polarized now.
    Don't take this as a guarantee yours will work, remember what business we're in.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

As an added thought...

As Pete pointed out, the perceptual differences between a regular and a reverse slab-off will be small... However, there are some thickness differences between the two. For instance, a reverse slab-off will make a minus lens slightly thicker, while a regular slab-off will make a minus thinner.

Best regards,
    Darryl

Rising Star

Take it from yours truly, the man who slabs off more RXs than anybody else in the whole world, there is no problem from going back and forth between reverse slabs and conventional slabs. I originally tried to use reverse slabs only on plus RXs and conventional slabs on minus RXs, feeling that this would be more beneficial for image displacement and thickness reasons, but those reverse slabs look so darned nice, and come in overnight, so now I use them whenever possible. They come in Round 25s, all the way down to 1 diopter of slab, and in ST-28s, down to one and one half diopters of slab. I wish they would come in ST-35s, and maybe even in CV-7X28s as well, but there probably isn't as much demand for slabs as ther used to be, primarilly because most Opticians don't understand, or care, about the importance of eliminating vertical imbalance as they used to. Hence the demise of Compensated R segs, which would allow you to get rid a a half diopter of imbalance if you wanted to. You wouldn't let a pair of reading lenses go with more than half a diopter of imbalance, would you? Why do it to the guy in his bifocals, then? Same thing.

------------------

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Bob, I have decided it is a regional thing.

As an example, I haven't seen low/ improperly fitted segs like I have in my current region of employ. The opticians in this area are schooled by the same institute as my previous locale, yet I see a marked increase of poorly fit seg's here.

It seems obvious but, though everyone may be following the same ciriculum, how and why it is presented and emphasized makes a huge difference.

Think about it. The Jawjuh school ciriculum must be the same across the state. It must also follow guidelines for the rest of the country.

Why then, do some areas consitantly score better than others? Or some states better than others (Go Uncle Dubya!!)(yes, George Sr. is my Great Uncle, and damn proud of it)

It comes down to the abilties and aptitude of the instructor.

I started a bit of a firestorm when I wrote a piece for our provincial association newsletter regarding the fitting of soft toric lenses.

Seems that for a while, the Northern part of the province was not quite accurate in learning how to fit a mis-aligning toric lens.

Basic stuff, but, if the source is tainted, so is the product, period.

Anyway, back to what you were saying, I agree with you. I still see regular ole st28's on a -3.5D O.D. and a -7.5D O.S....

Oh well, I can't change the world, just the parts of the world I can.

Humbly,

------------------
    Shwing;-}

P.S. I have more Shania stuff. Oh, did I mention in my last e-mail, she phoned me as her agent is ill...have it on tape, sorry, Bob

[This message has been edited by Shwing (edited 08-05-2000).]

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

P.P.S. Sorry about all the 'edited by' stuff. Steve, I can't get spellcheck to work, and had to edit a few errors (and still have one..)

I can type, and I can spell, but they don't always syncronize. Speaking of which, anyone else own a Palm pilot?? Let's chat...

------------------
    Shwing;-}

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Originally posted by Bob Rihl:
    I originally tried to use reverse slabs only on plus RXs and conventional slabs on minus RXs, feeling that this would be more beneficial for image displacement and thickness reasons, but those reverse slabs look so darned nice, and come in overnight, so now I use them whenever possible.
    And you don't have to worry about crooked or wavy slab lines, either!

Best regards,
    Darryl

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Bob,
    The FT-35 is available in a reverse Slab. It is manufactured by Younger and should be available from whoever supplies Younger Lens products.

Jerry

Thread Information