Thread: Standard single vision lenses under Eyemed

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Standard single vision lenses under Eyemed

I'm curious to see what people are doing when an eyemed patient wants just the standard cr-39 uncoated SV lens. In our office we stock sv with scratch coat. Somp people will pay the extra copay for the scratchcoate some won't. For those who don't we still use a coated lens since we don't want to have to start stocking both coated and uncoated lenes. I don't like giving someone a coating thier insurance says they must pay for. At the same i don't want to have to pay additional shipping charges to one off an uncoated lens.

What do are you doing?

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the patient doesn't want to pay the upcharge for scratch or poly or Trivex or whatever I tell them that I have to order the lenses in and they can take up to 2 weeks to come in.

I also let them know that I can cut standard poly in house same day. Usually won't go beyond poly for these folks, so order time for other lenses doesn't come up.

Majority of the time, they will pay the upgrade.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hated running into this which I did a lot when working at LC. I only ran into trouble with people who thought they knew their Insurance better than we did. Lets be honest it was usually the cheap people who would protest and say "See right here on my benefit sheet, its says SV lenses $20." I would tell them that the Insurance company Itemizes everything, and that 1st copay was just to differentiate between SV and BF and Pals, and that there were additional copays right below if they cared to take a look. Yes, there would be a $15 copay for that scratch coat as we don't sell uncoated Cr39. If it became an issue the manager would just discretion the $ out.

It got to the point that I simply presented the lenses as a total dollar amount between the various lenses (Ie I didn't itemize them when presented to the Pt) and let them decide after giving my recommendation. Never had a problem since. This may work to your benefit as generally Poly is only $15 more total than CR39 with SC and UV. This could get people to take you up on poly, or even Trivex if your retail isn't that high on it.

~Crazy

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good suggestion. We tell everyone they have a one year scratch warranty if they buy poly or the coated cr39. otherwise they don't have it. I'm surprised by how cheap some people are. Usually the ones who say they don't every scratch their lenses but when you look you wonder to yourself how they see out of them.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper add your own and be way ahead..................

For your information there are also very easy to apply scratch resistant treatments available, the most modern ones a simple dip at room temperature.

If you can get up to 200 pairs out of a quart bottle your cost is just about minimal par pair of lenses.

This way you can add your own UV and tint and scratch resistant and sell a lens with or without any of them, and you purchase the lens at the best price you can get. you can save a few dollars when buying the lenses untreated and treat them for cents yourself and you are way ahead for whatever price you sell them. Specially if you have insurance cases.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    When people didn't want the scratch coat, I told them they would have to go somewhere else. We sold only quality products that offered a warranty and ensured them that a new perscription didn't do you any good if you couldnt see through the lenses in 6 months.

Thread Information