Thread: What type of multi-focal are you wearing?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question What type of multi-focal are you wearing?

I am rapidly heading to the abiss of middle age and am curious about what multi-focal other opti-pros are wearing. I think that I would perfer readers, but would it make it hard to sell those progressive lens that our bottom line needs? If this has been talked about before, sorry for the re-peat.
    Paul:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ziggy,

I currently have a pair of half eyes, a pair of DVO (Enigma), a pair of Essilor Naturals and a pair of Sola Adaptars.

There have been others but I haven't updated the Rx's yet. Don't worry about middle age. I've been wearing PAL's since I was 26. ;)

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    Probably in the next year, I , too will join the ranks of the presbyopes....

What I learned, years ago, from my "optical mentor" was that there is not always ONE right answer for a person. My optical mentor has worn progressives since the year they came out. She continues to wear them. She loves them. A few years ago, she took a break from optics and began a job where she had to work constantly on a computer monitor - not much else going on in the job....she came in to get a pair of "computer glasses" because although her progressives "worked" in the environment they didn't provide the visual comfort she needed. This was long before the "hype" of the computer vision syndrome we have today.

So, why not have readers & progressives?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ziggy:

A lot of presbyopes "would prefer readers" at first, some of them even prefer to say: "I don't need bifocals, I just need a pair of glasses for distance an a pair for reading."? This is just another way of "denial" until the problem becomes un~deliable.

Now haveing said this, a pair of near-only and a pair of distance-only glasses as well as a pair of BI-FOCALS (there I said that word) isn't a bad thing. If you are going to read for hours on end or watch televison in bed, these things are good things to have. But unless you are attempting to impart "an air of dignity" putting on and taking off your glasses for routine tasks is not a cool thing.

Chip

Thread Information