Thread: Office Lenses

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Office Lenses

Okay, fist of all I just want to let everyone know that I am blonde and this is a serious question. I am in the dark when it comes to office lenses. How do I measure the seg height on an office len? Which brand do you use? Currently I just measure for a office lens like I measure a standard progressive, to the center of the pupil. Is this right? I have asked the OD his is as clueless as I am. On the few office lenses that I have dispensed I used a Shamir Office. Now I have read that the Shamir Office recommended minimum fitting height is 16 mm lower and 13 mm upper. What is the upper business about? Is this inteaded to give the patient more distance vision? How far can a patient see at a distance with an office lens? It was my understanding that by using the office lens peatients will not have clear distance vision. I am guessing that depending on the upper portion measurment the patient should be able to see 6 to 8 feet. Does that sound reasonable or am I just overthinking this whole thing?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Ashley,
    I use the Shamir Office lens and I really like it much better than the Access. You are correct you do measure at the pupil and you have to have a minimum "B" of 29mm. The amount the pt will see distance depends on the add power and the dynamic reduction which is the amount of power subtracted from the total reading RX. For instance a +1.50 add has a dynamic reduction of -1.25 so the pt will see up to 13.50 feet according to the literature I have. I would get in contact with your Shamir rep they have the chart inside their brochure which tells you the optimal distance according to the add you have. I really like using this lens especially on people who are used to R.O. rx who want to try a progressive for computer and reading,and do not really need a distance rx. There is much larger reading area and these pts tend to like it
    hope this helps.
    jamie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Ashlee,

You're basically all set with what you've been doing. I've never been one that likes using "minimums" with a given lens, and I would suggest a comfortable fit with an Office or Prio computer lens (basically the same fit and design, but different Rx methodology is used to achieve the end result) of 30-31mm. Generally a little wiggle room is best for these types of lenses. Fit at pupil center unless the pt. needs the centers raised or lowered slightly for their personal environment. And be sure to caution any pt. who demands a small frame that their lens may well NOT perform the way it is designed. Function over fashion - every time!

While it is fair to say that the reading and in particular, the intermediate zone is wider in occupational/computer lenses than a standard progressive design, I would be cautious in stating it to be "much" larger. The width as with any progressive style lens is rather dependent on the patient's Rx and will vary from one patient to the next. Also, the furthest distance a patient will be able to see in their intermediate range will be dependent on the same and can vary by a good amount from one Rx to the next.

It is also very wise to ask the patient where exactly and how far from their computer monitor and desk area they work. You'll be amazed at the different positions and working distances you'll find. It will save you lots of headache and troubleshooting down the road to adjust your fitting to the patient's occupational needs.

As a general rule, the Office lens is one of the best in it's class - but also be aware it is ONLY available in CR-39 and poly, and it is on back order....almost all the time it seems.

Best of luck!

Bri~

Thread Information