Thread: Chinese free form lenses

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Confused Chinese free form lenses

I was trying to find any info on these lenses and no luck so if there is anyone that is using these let me know what you think

Aaron

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are Chinese Free-Form lenses different from American, Canadian, Indian, or Mexican free form lenses?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Are Chinese Free-Form lenses different from American, Canadian, Indian, or Mexican free form lenses?
    Probably not, But they are CHEAP. Most that I've seen or heard of use Crossbows software, so they are NOT corrected for POW. Not really a bad lens, it's just an old design that isn't up to today's standards.

:cheers:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Probably not, But they are CHEAP. Most that I've seen or heard of use Crossbows software, so they are NOT corrected for POW. Not really a bad lens, it's just an old design that isn't up to today's standards.
    These days I would get a good lens at a good price and forget the POW WOW, and be ablet to cater to some quality lovers that are temporarily short on cash.
    Thery are still made on a digital system which has not been around that long to call it an old design..

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Thery are still made on a digital system which has not been around that long to call it an old design..
    So if I make a ST28 on a digital system, that would be a new design?
    RT

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    So if I make a ST28 on a digital system, that would be a new design?

Of Course! I have a digitally produced design pending on a brilliant new car part essential for everyone. They used to call them tires, now it's the DiDeRoRuDe. Digitally Designed Round Rubber Device. New digital processes these days make for smoother rides!:bbg:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post

What are these lenses? What is crossbows and what is POW? Sorry to appear dense.

Occupation
    Look at http://www.crossbowsoptical.com/index.htm.

POW stands for Position of wear. This means measurements for panto and dihedral angles and vertex. It's the right way to order and make freeform lenses.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Look for a wave of "house design" Digital progressive lenses over the next year.

I am already using a POW compensated progressive from DEL. Also, I found out this week that Robertson Optical will be producing one in house that will be a house lens, non POW designed by Seiko.

This will cause IMHO a very swift shift in the progressive lens market as these lenses are the same price or cheaper than some fairly un-inspired molded lenses like the Kodak precise for example.
    John Henahan
    Spectrum Eyecare
    www.speceye.com

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    This will cause IMHO a very swift shift in the progressive lens market as these lenses are the same price or cheaper than some fairly un-inspired molded lenses like the Kodak precise for example.
    So how do you know if these non POW compensated design are inspired or uninspired. Or does the simple fact that they are "digital" make them "inspired". It would seem that a non-individualized progressive made using arbitrarily advance production techniques is still uninspired.
    RT

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    So how do you know if these non POW compensated design are inspired or uninspired. Or does the simple fact that they are "digital" make them "inspired". It would seem that a non-individualized progressive made using arbitrarily advance production techniques is still uninspired.
    Well, lets see... 20 years of working the industry, all of the Sheedy reports, etc.

Now I am not saying that all molded designs are uninspired. Far from it. My point is that these new lenses will be cheaper than "uninspired" progressives, which to me would include the Kodak offering and even the GT2.

While there are and will be good and poor digital designs I can say with confidence that I am Rxing and wearing some really impressive POW compensated lenses that cost less then the aforementioned Precise (not picking on Kodak, just using them as an example. I could have just easily said the GT2).

If I am the lens manufacturer, I would be worried. Especially if I was trying to sell an underperforming molded lens or a POW compensated lens that costs 3-4x as much yet performs equally or perhaps a little better at most than these new house lenses. :D
    John Henahan
    Spectrum Eyecare
    www.speceye.com

Occupation
    Anyone can get custom software to produce their own digital progressives and SV.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Are you talking about designing and selling your own progressive designs? What sort of user trials would you subject such a design to?
    RT

Occupation
    Are you talking about designing and selling your own progressive designs? What sort of user trials would you subject such a design to?
    Real life trials, it's what most of the people donig it use. How about free samples for the 3 O's to try out??

Occupation
    :hammer::shiner:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Basics of Freeform

Does anybody have any idea of how popular freeform is? are that many freeform progresives being made? are they all sold to end customers at a freeform "premium", or just as regular progressives? are freeform single vision lenses a reality, or just talk? Who makes the software, is it only the big lens manufacturers or software companies?

Sorry for all the questions but im really trying to learn about freeform quickly and i dont know if i can trust what the big guys say.

Thanks,
    alain

Occupation
    An old, old time optician once told me "Don't trust anything you hear and only half of what you see", goes for progressive lenses too. I answered part of this here: http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31009

PM me if you have more questions.

Thread Information