Thread: Horizon II edger problem

Occupation
    Optometrist

Horizon II edger problem

So I fired up the Old Horizon II edger after a long hiatus. I have to edge a boatload of plano lenses and wanted to save my santinelli the wear and tear.

The Horizon was stored for about 4 years. When I edge the lens, initial roughing cycle is fine, it positions itself over the bevel portion of the blade well, and then WHAMMO, it more or less crashes into the finishing cycle too quickly, causing chipping where it originally hits the blade. It then continues to finish the bevel of the lens, but the chips made on the edge from crashing in too fast are still apparent.

It seems that there is excess pressure applied to bring it in to the finishing cycle.

Any suggestions?

Also:
    -I changed to new blades, so no probs there.
    -there is some superficial rust on some of the parts, especially the slides. I cleaned most off and lubricated it, and it does not seem to be catching on any rough parts.

Thanks for your input.

AA

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Its been several years, but I think that means one of the solenoids has bought the farm. I don't remember which one, but you should be able to trace back from the carriage to the solenoid block and narrow it down.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I did replace one, but it was from a parts machine. May not have gotten the right one, or may have replaced it w/ a faulty replacement....I'll try that again and see if that is the problem

Bad address email on file Smiley's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The problem is the differential is closing too fast/hard which is usually caused by a clogged or faulty restrictor that controls how hard the differential closes and opens. The restrictor is airline #9 in the very front right corner inside the edger; it has labels that read IFC-15 and IFC-11. If you have a machine that is used for parts and the part is still in the airline then try replacing it; you can also try taking out of the airline and using dry air to blow it out in case it's just clogged. It is important that the restrictor is put back in the airline in the correct direction; the IFC-15 will be closet to the front (writing will be upside down) and the IFC-11 will be farthest away and facing the front. If none of this works then more than likely the differential cylinder itself would be the problem, that is enclosed inside the sizing assembly with the pattern roller attached but there really is no fix for that other than replacing it.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    That sounds like just the ticket....Thanks for your input. I will try that out tonight or tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks again.

AA

Thread Information