Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice needed on warranty hassles

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    I also think a federal law preventing any mechanical engineer from purchasing eyewear without first requiring them to take a minimum full 4 years of optometry schooling so that they REALLY know what they're talking about instead of only THINKING they know what they're talking about when their glasses are "wrong" should be immediately instated. :angry::bbg::p:hammer::cheers: hehehe
    The same should be so for physics professors. I had one tell me we made his lenses wrong. His Rx was somethng like -4.00 OU. When he looked through the periphery of his lenses the cars on the narrow French streets he was driving on weren't actually in the position they appeared to be in his glasses and he almost had a wreck.

I guess for physics professors we should be able to make glasses with no prismatic effect anywhere on the lenses.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This week we lost 3 patients who were denied their "money back" on glasses that they were not happy with. The first was a lady who got her prescription here but went to Costco to get the glasses. The second and third cases were people who could not adapt to progressives and did not want to try SV or bifocals. In the last two cases we gave them 80% of their money back. In all three cases the patients left angry. I realize that losing long time patients for small amounts of money is not a winning proposition, but I too am stubborn and hate being taken advantage of.
    Being stubborn seems very costly!!

You LOST 3 long time patients, the people that they told about their horrible experience, labor time to fit eyeglasses, order eyeglasses, check in, notify the patient, dispense eyeglasses, labor time to deal with the 3 angry patients, chair time, process the refund time, negative office energy "after the fact" time, return the goods for credit time $$$$$$$$$$...............

Lighten up.:)
    Keep the warranty as simple as possible.
    Our warranty is: Exchanges or Adjustments Only

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have a very liberal warrantee, but hardly ever use it. If we meet our patients expectations and explain fully what they are investing in they never have any complaints. But the key is listening closely and summarize when you are done. I frequently ask my patients if they understand what Im saying.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Sharonseyes,
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but, have you been dispensing a long time? Your comments are laudable and idealistic, but totally contrary to my real-life experience. In my experience, whether I am describing risks and benefits of a procedure, or our warranties; it's in one ear and out the next. I literally have spent half an hour with some patients explaining their condition with diagrams, model eyes etc. A few minutes later I find that they are asking my techs or receptionists questions that indicate that they haven't understood a thing. When it comes to wanting their money back there is even an added "selective" lack of cognition/memory. My final solution based on much thought and the kind input of others on this forum is to have the following printed warranty:

"if you don't love your glasses (for any reason) return them within 60 days for 100% store credit, redo or exchange. No refunds."

This is printed on the cleaning cloth that we dispense with all our glasses. The patient is pointed out the warranty on the cleaning cloth at the time of checkout.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Simple solution.

Be a physician not a retailer .

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I might point out a couple of things

Research indicates (I can't quote a source) that approx 2% of the population is trying to get something for nothing. They don't pay their bill and they don't even care if a collection agency calls them.

If you treated the patient fairly and respectfully and they are still mad - Congrats! You just found one of the bottom 2%. It's a great time to rid your premises of them.

I think part of the problem is communication. Not communication of your warranty policies. But communication that your optical is the patient's Consultant, their Advocate, and the Fixer of All Problems.

The optician needs to say "Let me know if I can do anything else for you" and again "Drop back by if you have any issues or need an adjustment" (dont use the word 'problem').

Then your office NEEDS TO CALL THEM AND SEE HOW THEY ARE DOING. These calls are highly underrated. Someone just spent a weeks salary on a highly flexible, fragile and custom product fabricated to wildly subjective parameters. Call them and see how they are doing. They might just want to buy some sunglasses:idea:. Or be mad that the compression mounts are loose, or that the temple squeeze their jugular, or that the edges aren't polished. You never know unless you call.

When they complain 61 days later, your optician says "Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble. But you were doing well when we called you 6 weeks ago, what happened?" Maybe they developed diabetes. Maybe they decided that they like a discontinued frame they saw at Cutco better and need YOUR money to buy it.

If this person is part of the 2% vampires of society; you just pulled out a wooden stake to defend against any possible talk of a refund.

Wording is everything. Here is another one to use.

"Mrs smith, since we have made two sets of lenses, there just isn't any money left to refund. I'm sorry."

Oh, and stop using the Image and Concord, your patients don't like those lenses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    25 years. The main thing to remember is you must meet their expectations. And reiterate all you say. It works 95% of the time. I will not sell anything to anyone who does not understand what they are getting. Even if that means calling in a family member to explain things to. Educate your patients better and they will love their new eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyedude View Post
    Be a physician not a retailer .
    Hey...ILAHN is more in tune with his lab, and dispensary than most retailers! More power to him!

Thread Information