Thread: How hard is the NCLE exam compared to a COA or COT exam?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

How hard is the NCLE exam compared to a COA or COT exam?

I work in contacts every day and have my COT certification.

I want to go after the NCLE, but the COT was so brutal that I'm hesitant to go after the NCLE. The COT was worded like a medical dictionary!

I'm just curious if the NCLE is as tough as the COA or COT to pass. Any pointers too would be appreciated. (Study guides or software?)

Thanks!
    -Chris R.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by crasster View Post
    I work in contacts every day and have my COT certification.

I want to go after the NCLE, but the COT was so brutal that I'm hesitant to go after the NCLE. The COT was worded like a medical dictionary!

I'm just curious if the NCLE is as tough as the COA or COT to pass. Any pointers too would be appreciated. (Study guides or software?)

Thanks!
    -Chris R.
    No comparison, the COT is a much harder test, take the NCLE you'll do fine.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    No comparison, the COT is a much harder test, take the NCLE you'll do fine.
    Thank you, and thank the heavens! After the COT experience of being so difficult, I was shying away from the NCLE.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

NCLE review course

Go to www.quantumoptical.com. NCLE review course online.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    If you passed the COT and work with contacts every day, you could probably pass the NCLE in your sleep.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    NCLE seems like a downgrade when compared against the COT - even if you're working in a fitting situation daily. May I ask what your motivation is in this case? I can't imagine it would be for a pay raise???
    Last edited by Uilleann; 07-26-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Spelling - d'oh!

Occupation
    Hi, I am just prepearing to take my COT multiply choice exam. Did anybody use eyetec courses during preparation ? Are they worth bying ? Sorry for mistakes - English is not my first language :-)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used the eyetec courses and they worked well for me, However it was not the only resource I used. the COT Exam review manual and "the Ophthalmic Assistant" books were a big help also. I just passed the multiple choice part of the exam and have the practical left.
    NCLE was eaiser compared to the COT, but they do compliment each other and it always looks good to patients :)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by carriew View Post
    I used the eyetec courses and they worked well for me, However it was not the only resource I used. the COT Exam review manual and "the Ophthalmic Assistant" books were a big help also. I just passed the multiple choice part of the exam and have the practical left.
    NCLE was eaiser compared to the COT, but they do compliment each other and it always looks good to patients :)
    carriew, how much time does it take to answer all questions at multiply choice COT exam ? 2 hours ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It took me approx 2hours but you get 3 to 3.5 hours. Also you can view the eyetec lessons for free you only have to pay if you want to take the test. I reviewed the subjects that I had most trouble understanding. Some things you will want to definately know for the test are medications (generic names), know your muscles and what they do, Induced prism along with the formula to figure it out. The test I had focused quite a bit on these along with everything else.
    How long have you been in the eyecare field? Do you work for an OD, OMD? Are you scheduled to take the exam yet?

Occupation
    It took me approx 2hours but you get 3 to 3.5 hours. Also you can view the eyetec lessons for free you only have to pay if you want to take the test. I reviewed the subjects that I had most trouble understanding. Some things you will want to definately know for the test are medications (generic names), know your muscles and what they do, Induced prism along with the formula to figure it out. The test I had focused quite a bit on these along with everything else.
    How long have you been in the eyecare field? Do you work for an OD, OMD? Are you scheduled to take the exam yet?
    I am an ophthalmologist from another country :-) I have been in ophthalmology for almost 10 years. Here in USA I think I want to be an COT/COMT, but not an ophthalmologist - I have no guts, no money to pay for residency etc. So, I received a special concideration from JCHAPO to pass a COT exam. The people from JCAHPO said that I have to have a signature of a sponsoring ophthalmologist on my application, and that, actually, makes me miserable and hopeless cause I DO NOT KNOW ANY OPHTHALMOLOGIST lisenced in USA who can sign my application. I mean I can't work as COT since I an not certified, but I can't get certified , because I have nobody who can sign my application. it is a completelly vicious circle.

Occupation
    And yesterday I had an interview at Lens Crafters for optometric assistant position. Poor me, they said I am overqualified. So, I am totally depressed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongolka View Post
    I am an ophthalmologist from another country :-) I have been in ophthalmology for almost 10 years. Here in USA I think I want to be an COT/COMT, but not an ophthalmologist - I have no guts, no money to pay for residency etc. So, I received a special concideration from JCHAPO to pass a COT exam. The people from JCAHPO said that I have to have a signature of a sponsoring ophthalmologist on my application, and that, actually, makes me miserable and hopeless cause I DO NOT KNOW ANY OPHTHALMOLOGIST lisenced in USA who can sign my application. I mean I can't work as COT since I an not certified, but I can't get certified , because I have nobody who can sign my application. it is a completelly vicious circle.

Where are you located? It would be hard to believe that you couldn't benefit a wonderful practice.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with Diane, It sounds as though you would have more than enough knowledge to benefit any Ophthalmology practice. You should have no trouble in passing the COT exam. What country are you from and what motivated you to move to the US? Did you specialize in a certain area of ophthalmology or general exams?

Occupation
    I agree with Diane, It sounds as though you would have more than enough knowledge to benefit any Ophthalmology practice. You should have no trouble in passing the COT exam. What country are you from and what motivated you to move to the US? Did you specialize in a certain area of ophthalmology or general exams?
    I do not tell that I will have trouble in PASSING COT.
    The only trouble I have that I have to have an Ophthalmologist who is lisenced in USA to sign my application so I can pass exam.
    The problem is that since I am not certified here in USA I can't work as COT. But I can't pass an exam to be a COT since I do not have any ophthalmologist who can sign my application.
    I worked in an outpatient care, minor office surgery, etc. I have been in AZ for 1.5 years and seeking employment in the optometric, ophthalmology industries for all of the 1.5 years.
    All I hear is that I need to be certified to work as COT.

Thread Information