Thread: Swimming after dark!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Swimming after dark!

Not a good idea to swim at dusk, or in the dark.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/09/auto...ll-devil-hills

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Not a good idea to swim at dusk, or in the dark.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/09/auto...ll-devil-hills

Yeesh! Always the worst time for sharking. Like those people riding the long inflatables, I refer to them as trolling for sharks.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess that's one more reason I'm glad I don't know how to swim.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Once I was at Holden Beach and went out on the pier. Coming back to shore I could see lots of people swimming and playing in the water. I also could see a big school of very large rays, the largest about a 6 foot wingspan. Now this excluded them from being stingrays, but still, they were swimming parallel to the shore about 10 feet further out than the people who had no idea.

Afterwards we were walking back to our house and walking in ankle-deep water when something cool and slimy wrapped itself around my ankle. After I jumped straight up, somehow traveled six feet horizontally like in a cartoon, and came to land on the beach, we looked to see what it was. After a couple more waves, I see a big, wet, slimy piece of cardboard wash up.
    WHEW!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Having been raised near the beaches, and being shark-smart (they were my fave animal when I was a kid), I would NEVER swim at night or sunset.

Sharks prefer low-lighting, because fish have very poor vision (they're near-sighted, lol), and the sharks have a better chance of success when hunting at night.

Here in Florida the main sharks to watch out for are Bull sharks, which can also swim in brackish canal water (yikes!) and Hammerheads, which don't tend to come as close to shore as the Bulls do. But in the Atlantic? Great Whites prefer cooler waters year round, and the East Coast is riddled with them. No way, Jose. I'll see them while being in a cage or if they're at an aquarium, but I ain't gonna dangle my legs in front of their snouts.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well...not exactly a shark, but...

Years ago on a scuba trip, my weight belt got loose, so I put my hand on a rock to steady myself while I tightened the belt with my other hand. I felt something funny on my hand, and looked up to see a foot long rock cod with my thumb in its mouth, chewing away like it was his last meal. I was wearing a wet suit, so his teeth didn't even get near my thumb, but that was a so funny my dive partner almost choked he was laughing so hard.
    BTW, just last week I read about great white attacks in the Pacific Northwest, with around 13 documented attacks, 12 in Oregon, 1 in Washington state, and then the article stated there were no recorded Great White attacks in British Columbia.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While honeymooning in Jamaica, and after more than a few drinks, I persuaded my new bride to go skinnydipping at night. We were in the ocean about 50 yards out, when I felt something that felt like sandpaper brush against my bum. We both swam (quickly) in, and by the time we hit the beach, it felt like my a$$ was on fire!

Turns out they were tiny jellyfish, and boy did they sting. My wife insisted I go to the "nurse" on duty, and she rubbed a little alcohol on it, while I poured some more alcohol into my mouth.

The nurse gave me absolutely no sympathy and said, " I don see nutteen on you. I theenks you only want a diffrint wooman to rub you behind."
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    While honeymooning in Jamaica, and after more than a few drinks, I persuaded my new bride to go skinnydipping at night. We were in the ocean about 50 yards out, when I felt something that felt like sandpaper brush against my bum. We both swam (quickly) in, and by the time we hit the beach, it felt like my a$$ was on fire!

Turns out they were tiny jellyfish, and boy did they sting. My wife insisted I go to the "nurse" on duty, and she rubbed a little alcohol on it, while I poured some more alcohol into my mouth.

The nurse gave me absolutely no sympathy and said, " I don see nutteen on you. I theenks you only want a diffrint wooman to rub you behind."
    LOL! :D No problem, mon! :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This brings an entirely new dimension to the next un-Expo!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Oh, yeah! Gives us plenty of time to come up with zingers!

Hey John, were those jellyfish stings the best you could do?:D:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My friend had a boat which we took out every summer weekend to Little Misery island in Beverly harbor on Cape Ann.

While swimming around a lobster boat that was moored about a hundred yards away I kicked something that moved.

I decided swimming would take much to long so I got up and ran back to our boat.:D Or so it felt.

Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt would have had nothing on me that day.:p

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    My friend had a boat which we took out every summer weekend to Little Misery island in Beverly harbor on Cape Ann.

While swimming around a lobster boat that was moored about a hundred yards away I kicked something that moved.

I decided swimming would take much to long so I got up and ran back to our boat.:D Or so it felt.

Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt would have had nothing on me that day.:p
    LOL! Funny what a little "motivation" will do for ya, huh? :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While this isn't exactly scary....I did have a crab bite the mess out of my toe once! I was about calf-deep in the water, stepped right on the darn thing, it pinched my big toe and I went hopping, foot in the air, kicking like a wild woman...all the while, this nasty old crab hanging on for dear-life! Finally, I kicked him off...no harm done to either of us...hurt like H-E-double-hocky-sticks, though!

Any water where I can't see the bottom gives me the heebie-jeebies!

Occupation
    I was snorkeling with my dad off of Sanibel Island one day when I was around 10 years old. The water was shallow and murky, and my dad was partially leading. Looking through my mask, I saw him turn around towards me, and all of a sudden I felt a horrible stinging on my face! Turns out he'd seen a stinging nettle jelly go right past him and he'd tried to turn around to warn me but I'd already been stung in the face and shoulder. I stood up from the water screaming and he helped me back to the beach and poured ice cold Sprite on my face and torso. Man did that hurt! After the worst had passed we drove over to the EMS station on Sanibel where a medic checked me out and had me jump in a warm shower to rinse off any residue from the jelly. I had painful red welts from the right side of my face all the way down to my hip for the next couple of days. Made for a great story to tell at school though! :D

Caution: Do NOT swim into these things face-first!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LilKim View Post
    I was snorkeling with my dad off of Sanibel Island one day when I was around 10 years old. The water was shallow and murky, and my dad was partially leading. Looking through my mask, I saw him turn around towards me, and all of a sudden I felt a horrible stinging on my face! Turns out he'd seen a stinging nettle jelly go right past him and he'd tried to turn around to warn me but I'd already been stung in the face and shoulder. I stood up from the water screaming and he helped me back to the beach and poured ice cold Sprite on my face and torso. Man did that hurt! After the worst had passed we drove over to the EMS station on Sanibel where a medic checked me out and had me jump in a warm shower to rinse off any residue from the jelly. I had painful red welts from the right side of my face all the way down to my hip for the next couple of days. Made for a great story to tell at school though! :D

Caution: Do NOT swim into these things face-first!
    Yah, it hurt I'm sure. But you indeed made up for it with some beautiful shells from Sanibel, right?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Yah, it hurt I'm sure. But you indeed made up for it with some beautiful shells from Sanibel, right?

I think I ended up dumping them all when I felt my face being set on fire, lol. :shiner:

Sanibel was such a great place to find sand dollars (some still alive!), and such a variety of shells. My grandparents used to live out there, so my dad and I would go over there almost every weekend to visit. I haven't been back there in years, but I'm sure it's still beautiful there :)

One of these days I'll drag my b/f down there with me to stay the weekend. 'Tis only a 3 hour drive!

Thread Information