Thread: Fight the Power!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Exclamation Fight the Power!!

Ok guys, here's the situation. The names have been changed to prevent a lawsuit. A GA LDO was recruited by a very large big box to improve image at a location and to train the staff. The LDO was hired about 4.5 yrs ago. During this time the LDO apprenticed three individuals, two of which transferred into the department 3 yrs ago. These individuals had absolutely no experience in the field. During the apprenticeship the LDO helped them pass the ABO, NCLE, and the state practical. In fact, the second indivdiual passed in April (the third, the manager, hasn't passed yet). During this training period the LDO was assured that the postion he/she had at his/her store would be secure and that he/she was appreciated for all that was done for the company. Well, guess what?!!!! The LDO is being forced to move to another location because payroll cannot afford to pay 3 LDOs and since the company has a last in first out policy (and this is based on company seniority not job title seniority), its got to be the training LDO. The new location is about an extra 35 minutes away. WTF?? So, any comments? Opinions? Suggestions?
    Last edited by GAgal; 09-16-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: **Don't want Steve to ban me**
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harsh, but like any job...Don't like it enough, relocate....(when you can).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And let me guess the next part of the story the 2 apprentices are still making less, probably even combined (after becoming LDOs), then the seasoned LDO. Well I guess the good news is that there's still a job in the company and they didn't keep Apprentice #1 at the original store and Apprentice #2 at the store 35 minutes away, because well "We really said that?". What part of big box stores and minimizing costs equates with loyalty to all employees (no matter what the official statement says).
    Last edited by jpways; 09-16-2009 at 11:09 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is not a good day for me to be commenting on the unethical business practices of big box opticals and industry behemoths, so I'll just sit over here in the corner and use a lot of swear words under my breath while empathizing with the LDO.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am no Chuck D............but,

Said LDO has two options:

1.) Suck it up and realize that corporate *B*L*O*W*S* and always will.....but still has a job.

2.) Tell corporate to BEAT IT, and go find gainful employment elsewhere.

I have always been of the belief that if corporate's mouth is open = they are lying!

One must never forget that these corporate Morons could care less how great you were YESTERDAY, just how great you are today!

As Janet Jackson would say...."What have you done for me lately"?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PS. If said LDO is as awesome as I believe they are..........said LDO was wasting his or her talents at this joint anyway! Their talent, skill, and dedication to the field should be put to use in far better ways!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They hired the LDO to do a job and the job was done. Can we assume the LDO is now off to another location to do the same? When you work for a large entity you really can't expect to stay in one place your entire career even if they tell you otherwise, and why would you want to?

Bad address email on file sharonm516's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    PS. If said LDO is as awesome as I believe they are..........said LDO was wasting his or her talents at this joint anyway! Their talent, skill, and dedication to the field should be put to use in far better ways!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
    :ditto

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Been there.. done that..

Let me tell you how it worked out for me though..

By going to a different location, I made more connections. I also was able to pick up some different tricks/tips that I was able to incorporate into my work persona.

Those connections enabled me to move further up the ladder, and make more money. It was a bit more stressful being further away from home, the child (what if he got sick/injured at school or the sitter's?), etc.. but it helped me in the long run.

Of course, a few years later.. it all went to hell anyway.. but some of those connections I made then, still benefit me to this day.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    GAgirl- Same thing happened to one of my co workers. He is soo happy to now work for independent OD's! No Saturdays.!!!:)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Remember, it's your employers job, not yours. You are in a negotiation with your employer for your skills to fill their position. Get everything in writing. When dealing with large corporations, it's all about the money, that's business. It doesn't look good to the higher-ups to see 3 "heavies" on the payroll of one location. If the "training" LDO did not get any thing in writing, the company is choosing to use an asset in a different location. Retention should be seen as a compliment in these economic times.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Working in a corporate environment pretty much sucks. I did it for two years and hated every minute of it. They change the rules all the time and you are strictly subject to their whims without much recourse.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper ruled by Peter's principle

Quote Originally Posted by GAgal View Post

WTF?? So, any comments? Opinions? Suggestions?
    Most corporations are ruled by Peter's Principle, which works a follows:

In an organizational structure, the Peter Principle's practical application allows assessment of the potential of an employee for a promotion based on performance in the current job; i.e., members of a hierarchical organization eventually are promoted to their highest level of competence, after which further promotion raises them to incompetence. That level is the employee's "level of incompetence" where the employee has no chance of further promotion, thus reaching his or her career's ceiling in an organization.
    The employee's incompetence is not necessarily exposed as a result of the higher-ranking position being more difficult — simply, that job is different from the job in which the employee previously excelled, and thus requires different work skills, which the employee may not possess. For example, a factory worker's excellence in his job can earn him promotion to manager, at which point the skills that earned him his promotion no longer apply to his job.

Solutions

One way that organizations attempt to avoid this effect is to refrain from promoting a worker until he or she shows the skills and work habits needed to succeed at the next higher job. Thus, a worker is not promoted to managing others if he or she does not already display management abilities.
    • The first corollary is that employees who are dedicated to their current jobs should not be promoted for their efforts (like Dilbert Principle), for which they might, instead, receive a pay increase.
    • The second corollary is that employees might be promoted only after being sufficiently trained to the new position. This places the burden of discovering individuals with poor managerial capabilities before (as opposed to after) they are promoted.
    See all of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper ruled by Peter's principle

Quote Originally Posted by GAgal View Post

WTF?? So, any comments? Opinions? Suggestions?
    Most corporations are ruled by Peter's Principle, which works a follows:

In an organizational structure, the Peter Principle's practical application allows assessment of the potential of an employee for a promotion based on performance in the current job; i.e., members of a hierarchical organization eventually are promoted to their highest level of competence, after which further promotion raises them to incompetence. That level is the employee's "level of incompetence" where the employee has no chance of further promotion, thus reaching his or her career's ceiling in an organization.
    The employee's incompetence is not necessarily exposed as a result of the higher-ranking position being more difficult — simply, that job is different from the job in which the employee previously excelled, and thus requires different work skills, which the employee may not possess. For example, a factory worker's excellence in his job can earn him promotion to manager, at which point the skills that earned him his promotion no longer apply to his job.

Solutions

One way that organizations attempt to avoid this effect is to refrain from promoting a worker until he or she shows the skills and work habits needed to succeed at the next higher job. Thus, a worker is not promoted to managing others if he or she does not already display management abilities.
    • The first corollary is that employees who are dedicated to their current jobs should not be promoted for their efforts (like Dilbert Principle), for which they might, instead, receive a pay increase.
    • The second corollary is that employees might be promoted only after being sufficiently trained to the new position. This places the burden of discovering individuals with poor managerial capabilities before (as opposed to after) they are promoted.
    See all of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you can say that again.

:bbg: Oh you did! :bbg:

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Properly medicated for your protection.

Thread Information