Thread: Yet another reason to hate Davis Vision (the new scratch warrenty policy)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Yet another reason to hate Davis Vision (the new scratch warrenty policy)

I don't know if any other of you other unfortunate Davis Vision providers have noticed, but as of September 1st this notice appeared on Davis Vision's website

---------------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT NOTICE
    We are taking this opportunity to clarify Davis Vision’s policies regarding the
    replacement of scratched spectacle lenses. Davis Vision will replace, within
    one year from the original dispensing date*, spectacle lenses that have become scratched
    to a degree that significantly compromises the cosmetic appearance or optical
    performance of the lens, ONLY if the Scratch Resistance option was selected and paid by
    the patient at the time of the original order or if the option is covered in full within the
    group’s benefit design. It is important to note that this policy applies to ALL lens types
    and materials. Therefore, any of your Davis Vision patients who have a history of
    mishandling their eyeglasses or are concerned about the possibility of developing
    scratches on the surfaces of their lenses should be informed of the potential benefit of
    selecting the Scratch Resistance option and, if selected, the applicable charge should be
    collected from the patient. Whenever the Scratch Resistance option is selected and the
    applicable charge collected on any lens type or material at the time of the original order,
    your office will receive the corresponding additional dispensing fee (surfee) from Davis
    Vision. No surfee will apply if the Scratch Resistance option is covered in full under the
    group’s benefit design. Only if the Scratch Resistance option was selected in the original
    order and paid for by the patient or if the option is covered in full within the group’s
    benefit design will Davis Vision replace the lenses due to scratches within one year from
    the original dispensing date.
    * Dispensing date is assumed to be 10 days after the date shipped from the Davis Vision laboratory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I just called up Davis Vision and here is the response I got: Unless, the patients pays for a Scratch Resistant Coating or purchases an Ultra ARC (Avance, Teflon, etc.) they do not have a scratch coat warranty. Doesn't matter what lens material or lens style the patient is purchasing: Polycarbonate, Trivex, mid-index, 1.60, 1.67, photochromic lenses, or progressive lenses, are no longer warranted for scratches, unless they purchase an SRC or an Ultra ARC. This is already on top of the fact that is the patient is purchasing an Ultra ARC they only have a 1 time in 1 year scratch coat, irregardless of the fact that the manufacturers of those coatings say that their coatings have a 2 year scratch coat.

I really wish we could drop them, but we are located in Western Pennsylvania, so most patients that have Highmark (which is most of our patients) have Davis and we live too close to a GM plant for our comfort to risk dropping Davis Vision.
    Last edited by jpways; 09-14-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Thread Information