Thread: Can anyone explain why we have Advanced Certification

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Can anyone explain why we have Advanced Certification

Why do we have advanced certification when we could achieve an ABO Masters certification or Fellow in CLSA?

Jerry Sherman

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's another step to make us feel impotant. Also separates those who have fellow or honored fellow stuff a little further from the peons.

Looks like our associations are actually doing something.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Check the ABO-NCLE website at www.abo-ncle.org. The AC exam is a prerequisite for the Masters Certification. The Masters Certification requires that you submit a written thesis. This represents a change from the original Masters program with included both the exam and the paper. There are also specifically designated AC core courses required to maintain the certification. I suppose there are folks out there who want to take the exam for the AC designation, but who have no interest or time to research and prepare a thesis.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 01-15-2002 at 10:06 AM.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Apparently, past comments received by the ABO/NCLE indicated that the thesis required for the ABOM discouraged Opticians who might otherwise seek higher certification.

Additionally, the old ABOM exam- while heavy on optical formulas- was somewhat limited in its scope of topics. The ABOC-AC exam covers all sorts of areas- including business and managerial related subjects. As Judy mentioned, the ABOC-AC is now a "stepping stone" to the ABOM (it represents the exam portion- adding the thesis gets you the ABOM).

Personally, I think the concept is pretty valid (having multiple stages). Unfortunately, a combination of the apathy that plagues our profession (and the fact that the core advanced courses required seem to have no specific relevance to the actual exam) probably diminishes interest in what is a good program. It has always been discouraging to me that there are thousands and thousands of ABOCs out there, but very few ABOMs.

To those who question the value of the ABOM certification, let me assure you that it can make a difference when job hunting or anytime you need to seperate yourself from the crowd. I know the ABOM designation has been the deciding factor in at least one position I was hired for, and I suspect it has gotten me consideration for some other great positions. When you have an ABOM apply for a job in the optical, you know they have a certain degree of knowledge and have put in some quality time in the field.

If you've been an ABOC for more than three years and want a challenge, call the ABO/NCLE and inquire about the ABOM program. Almost anyone who already has the ABOM will be more than happy to assist you in writing your thesis, and you will differentiate yourself as an exceptional optician!

That's it... end of sermon.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up 100% Correct Pete

I originally went the whole route and obtained an ABOM. Even though I own my own business, I used this opportunity to make sure I was the best. After getting my ABOM, I went to graduate school and got my MBA. If you want to be the best you can and enjoy your work education is critical.

Jerry Sherman BS,MBA,ABOM,NCLC

Thread Information